Stuff that no one else (on the board) would want

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think both Kenny and Moose are a tad older than me, and a fine example of Kenny's comment about history and baggage. Seger was all over Album Oriented Rock radio when I started listening and so as a musical soundtrack to a life, it something I'll never stop enjoying.

When you've never had any "Night Moves" and have been doing a lot of solo "working and practicin'" how can it not hit you in a certain way? :g

For MG and Jim and the topic of sermons, can either of you comment on the recent release by Acrobat, Bob Geddins Big Town Records Story? It sounds like a mixture of the sacred and profane, I've never gotten into gospel or sermons so I'm afraid I'll only be listening to the pure blues sides on this one.

But I remain curious and keep going back to the Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Geddins-Town-Rec...howViewpoints=1

I think both Kenny and Moose are a tad older than me, and a fine example of Kenny's comment about history and baggage.

I meant it in anegative sense. But, yeah, I gues it does work both ways, eh?

My soft spot for fine '60s/'70s pop has never ever gone away, no matter how passionate any particular latter day interest might have been.

So it's been a pleasure these past few years to luxuriate in buying so may oldies from my past, my respect and appreciation for the skill and often genius involved enhanced by so much listening in the intervening years. As well as being gobsmacked by so much "sunshine pop" stuff that is a natural fit but which I never heard as a teenager in NZ.

I guess most of my French music collection would fit there, a lot of Quebec stuff (Richard Desjardins, Marie-Jo Therio, Colocs etc) plus a huge amount of european artists classics (Brel, Brassens Ferré, Gaoinsbourg ) or contemporary (Bashung, Arthur H, Thomas Fersen, Brigitte Fontaine)

Among my boxsets i own from those artists, the most outlandish one is probably this one

41NS4CFVSDL._SS500_.jpg

A huge candy box (reference to the song Les Bonbons) in which a bunch of cds are put inside. Man it takes place.

Also, i have a thing for french yé yé songs of the sixties and the early 70s

Also, i have a thing for french yé yé songs of the sixties and the early 70s

That reminds me of a story from the early sixties. There was a small electrical shop in Ealing which sold records, too. I was friendly (well, not that friendly) with the young lady who ran the record counter. Some time in 1963 (I think) she told me that one day, she got a phone call from the New Musical Express, a paper that used to run the most widely read pop chart of those days, to say that they'd had some kind of problem and all the survey data they'd got for the charts had been destroyed, so they were doing a quick ring around to get enough feedback for the next week's chart. They asked what she'd been selling most. Now Ealing was a blues market - this lady could sell a dozen Howlin' Wolfs on the day of release. Anyway, she said her best new seller had been Petula Clark's "Ya ya" - which she wasn't even stocking. And, lo and behold, it appeared in the charts and went on to be a big hit. (For the benefit of the uninitiated, this was a cover of the Lee Dorsey song, sung mainly in French.)

MG

Amusing thing, Quebec culture being an island by itself, while the french people would do covers of American music, we had local artists doing the same here. The yaya was popularized by a local singer here called Joel Denis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Jk-bvPqtw

Here's the Petula version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZFqSWV9geE

Although my favourite cover is this one

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=ya+ya...amp;oq=ya+ya+b#

Finally here's the original for those too young or unaware

Well, that's enough ya ya for the day.

Edited by Van Basten II

Got some old wax cylinder thing kicking around here somewhere that I swiped from the Edison museum last month by this Buddy Bolden fella. Where did I put that thing?

I actually did pick up a CD of early Edison recordings -- "The Brown Wax Sampler, 1891 - 1903" -- which includes tracks such as "The Virginia Skeedaddle," "The Laughing Song," "Uncle Josh in a Museum" and "Our Whistling Slave Girl."

:D

I guess my collection of Bollywood scores from the 40s-60s might qualify, but I'm sure *someone* here would like them. (TTK, maybe.) So... maybe the Mexican and Indian brass band music I've got?

btw, I love chansons and a fair amount of French pop music. And the kinds of sermons TMG and JSngry have in their collections.

Edited by seeline

Mexican and Indian brass band music I've got?

Chet Baker & the Mariachi Brass?

Nothing so (umm) "interesting." ;) (or mariachi-like, really.)

Brass bands are a big thing on the coast, in the state of Sinaloa. People in Mexico and the US have been doing remixes of the music for a while, combining it with hip hop and so on. Both kinds of music (old-school and the newer pop stuff) are called banda.

It's kinda cool. I have some recordings of brass bands from various parts of Cuba, also Asia and Africa. The rhythms are so different than what most US brass bands play; I'd imagine that's equally true for the colliery bands over your way.

I guess my collection of Bollywood scores from the 40s-60s might qualify...

I'm on my way over. I'll bring some pakoras and samosas.

Deal!

Oh, and... welcome back, MG!!! :D

Edited by seeline

Now if you wanna get REALLY esoteric, try The Lutheran Hour archives: http://www.lutheranhour.org/history.htm

Last night I checked out this one from 1937 and got more insight into my late father than I could have dreamed possible: http://media.lhm.org/lutheranhour/mp3s/his...ed_1937_wam.mp3

Huh. I grew up as a Missouri Synod Lutheran, but no pastor I heard preached with that level of intensity.

Guest Bill Barton

It figures...

Just about everything potentially esoteric someone has suggested has been applauded by someone else and we now have a virtually exhaustive u-tube collection to check out.

Before I listen to the audiocassettes of those macrobiotics lectures perhaps a little Rusty Warren would be in order? Segue to Gainsbourg with Jane Birkin...

WB, MG, BTW!

Now if you wanna get REALLY esoteric, try The Lutheran Hour archives: http://www.lutheranhour.org/history.htm

Last night I checked out this one from 1937 and got more insight into my late father than I could have dreamed possible: http://media.lhm.org/lutheranhour/mp3s/his...ed_1937_wam.mp3

Huh. I grew up as a Missouri Synod Lutheran, but no pastor I heard preached with that level of intensity.

Nor did I. But my father (born 1918 & raised in Sterling, Illinois, which had a strong MS contingent)) often talked about who a stirring speaker the pastor in his home church was. I'm thinking that maybe this is the type of thing he was hearing, and like I said, understanding of a lot of things about him fell into a much better focus after hearing that sermon.