E-Bay Craziness

I have no idea. Did see a Charlie Shavers Group 78 rpm Vogue Picture Disque (have to spell it that way for that price point) elsewhere on e-bay and was wondering if that was every issued as music elsewhere.

Too bad Country-Wide isn't in business anymore -- I bet they'd give you a morgage loan to buy this collection!

The Shavers sides were also issued on an LP on Onyx.

Those Charlie Shavers Vogue picture discs were reissued on the Baldwin Street CD 'The Many Moods of Charlie Shavers'. Buddy de Franco played clarinet on those Shavers sides!

They were also included on the Charlie Shavers 1944-45 from Classics!

I know nothing about these Vogue picture disc but it seems to me that

a) not many people collect this stuff;

b) someone with a collection this huge must be well known in the community of collectors; and

c) the seller probably knows most of the other potential buyers well too.

So I guess he has some kind of handle on what this is likely to fetch.

Amazing!

How long 'til the bidding ends? Ah, nearly 2 days. I won't start biting my nails yet :)

MG

I know nothing about these Vogue picture disc but it seems to me that

a) not many people collect this stuff;

b) someone with a collection this huge must be well known in the community of collectors; and

c) the seller probably knows most of the other potential buyers well too.

So I guess he has some kind of handle on what this is likely to fetch.

Amazing!

How long 'til the bidding ends? Ah, nearly 2 days. I won't start biting my nails yet :)

MG

Well, perhaps but if s/he was asking a fair price, why wouldn't s/he go directly to this community and not have eBay take an arm and a leg? It certainly seems out of line to me, but it also isn't anything that interests me.

Well, perhaps but if s/he was asking a fair price, why wouldn't s/he go directly to this community and not have eBay take an arm and a leg?

How would you organise an auction, with this kind of money at stake, without ebay?

MG

Well, to be honest, if it was really worth this (which I doubt highly), I would take it to a real auction house (after telling people in the collecting community where I was taking it). I don't know what the fees are for a transaction this size, but quite possibly less than eBay and you wouldn't get so many flakes.

Selling the items as a lot would be a mistake. Collectors of this type of material will already have some of the records. Each collector will need specific records to fill out his collection. Selling the records individually captures that value for the seller.

Of course, there is a less of a transaction and time cost in having one auction, as opposed to dozens of auctions.

The auction houses can charge even > 20%; I think Swann Galleries (sells collectible books) charges 12% to both buyer and seller.

On the other hand, it just takes one wealthy individual to determine that he (or she) wants to start a collection and cover the field to jump in.