Of all the live recordings of Charlie Parker discovered over the years

Hardbopjazz

FWIW, I wrote this a few years ago about my favorite Charlie Parker live recordings. It's been post on the forum in Jazz in Print threads, but seems like this is a good place and time to post it again. Had a lot of fun putting this together. 

https://ethaniverson.com/live-bird-is-the-best-bird-by-mark-stryker/

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

FWIW, I wrote this a few years ago about my favorite Charlie Parker live recordings. It's been post on the forum in Jazz in Print threads, but seems like this is a good place and time to post it again. Had a lot of fun putting this together. 

A very nice piece!  Thank you. 

On 9/22/2023 at 8:27 PM, Mark Stryker said:

Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2023 at 5:27 AM, Brad said:

Thanks. 

Funny how I got acquainted with the music of Charlie Parker: I hadn´t even heard his name when my second of all jazz albums was a Mingus record with Dolphy with a tune "Parkeriana" with a lot of Bird Songs in the augmented bridge. 

This was my thing and made me become curious who is that man Charlie Parker. 

My first thing was the Savoy Mastertakes, really great, but my second Bird Record was that 1950 Birdland live session with Fats and Bud, and yeah.....live Bird is the greatest. So naturyll the third Bird I had was also with Bud, and with Diz from 1951 also at Birdland ! And then the Massey Hall Concert, again with Bud and Diz. 

But I had and have some difficulties if it was that recording tehnique that started with Dean Benedetti, I mean cuttin out the solos of the others. 
So my favourite live Bird recordings always will be complete sets or evenings, with a good group of musicians he was familiar with, from the NY scene.

One great little thing I also like, also because it has all the solos of all the musicians is that old musidisc LP "The Happy Bird", but I dare to say that the musician who got the most attention from me here is Wardell Gray ! 

On 9/23/2023 at 10:27 AM, Mark Stryker said:

many thanks Mark - what a diverse range of material covering 13 years of Birds live output

I've created the ordered playlist on my iTunes & am currently listening, BTW I actually have 19 of the 21 recordings you list

• 2 months later...

Monk and Bird, besides the one live track from the Dean Benedetti recordings, are there any others? I couldn't find anything else. The LOC has a concert of Bird and Monk. It appears to be unheard music since it resides on tape. The recording is from the Gerry Mulligan collection given to the LOC after he passed in the 90s. Someone I know put in a request to have the tape digitalized so he can give a listen.  This needs to be issued. I wonder why no record company has made an effort to get the rights to issue this.

1 hour ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Monk and Bird, besides the one live track from the Dean Benedetti recordings, are there any others? I couldn't find anything else. The LOC has a concert of Bird and Monk. It appears to be unheard music since it resides on tape. The recording is from the Gerry Mulligan collection given to the LOC after he passed in the 90s. Someone I know put in a request to have the tape digitalized so he can give a listen.  This needs to be issued. I wonder why no record company has made an effort to get the rights to issue this.

Of course, there is the 1950 session for Norman Granz on "Bird and Diz."   But I don't know of any other live recordings.  It is a shame.  I read that Bird really liked playing with Monk.   If that unreleased tape exits, it would be a really nice addition to the discography

Edited by John L

42 minutes ago, John L said:

Of course, there is the 1950 session for Norman Granz on "Bird and Diz."   But I don't know of any other live recordings.  It is a shame.  I read that Bird really liked playing with Monk.   If that unreleased tape exits, it would be a really nice addition to the discography

Mulligan may be on the date too since he recorded the concert.