Of all the live recordings of Charlie Parker discovered over the years

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, I haven't heard them all, but he's on startling form on Apartment Sessions (1950). For years I've had one vol of Historical Recordings on Le Jazz Cool label which is very good and sounds as if it was recorded about 1948. (Somebody will know where to find these tracks today.) Recently I bought Charlie Parker at Storyville (1953) which is well recorded for a live date and presents Bird in coherent and inspired form. Bird with Fats Navarro and Bud Powell at Birdland in 1951 is another great one.

Edited by BillF

there's a great Carnegie Hall concert that's been booted for years, with Al Haig, in very good sound.

Also, don't forget the McShann broadcasts;

there's also the basement tapes that Zim put out (Al Haig was asked if he was on them, as is sometimes claimed: "Are you kidding? I wouldn't go into any basement with Charlie Parker").

Edited by AllenLowe

http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Concerts-Charlie-Parker/dp/B00005AQCH

The quartet material in particular. Maybe the fieriest Bird ever captured.

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-1952-Charlie-Parker/dp/B00000AFBX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1261080249&sr=1-1

The half with Twardzik et al. in particular.

I have both of these. I remember when the Washington concert was first released I listened to the LP over and over.

Birdland with Fats Navarro and Bud Powell. (There's controversy about the date-- probably May 1950.) I like Rockland Palace at lot also.

another vote for Rockland Palace.

This one I don't have, and with two thumbs up, I will attempt track it down.

Bird was at his zenith in 47' and 48'. I have the recordings from the Onyx club, which are from either April or September. Not sure of the actual month. I've seen both months listed. But I believe this is the only recording either studio or live from 48'. I think there may have been a musician's strike around this time, but despite the poor sound, Bird is brilliant on all these sets. The takes on the live music, albeit not much longer in length then a studio take, exhibits why other musicians saw him as their prophet.

http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Concerts-Charlie-Parker/dp/B00005AQCH

The quartet material in particular. Maybe the fieriest Bird ever captured.

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-1952-Charlie-Parker/dp/B00000AFBX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1261080249&sr=1-1

The half with Twardzik et al. in particular.

I have both of these. I remember when the Washington concert was first released I listened to the LP over and over.

The date that we're referring to (the quartet date) was not on the original LP; it was added for the CD.

this is my favorite bird ever prob

June-July 1950Café Society Downtown, New York NYPrivate recording (Tape)Charlie Parker Quintet

Charlie Parker (as); Kenny Dorham (tpt); Milton "Brew" Moore (ts); Tony Scott (cl); Mundell Lowe (g); Al Haig (p); Dick Hyman (p); Tommy Potter (b); Leonard Gaskin (b); Roy Haynes (d); Ed Shaughnessy (d)

Lover Come Back to Me (S. Romberg-O. Hammerstein) 18:08

Bird was at his zenith in 47' and 48'. I have the recordings from the Onyx club, which are from either April or September. Not sure of the actual month. I've seen both months listed. But I believe this is the only recording either studio or live from 48'. I think there may have been a musician's strike around this time, but despite the poor sound, Bird is brilliant on all these sets. The takes on the live music, albeit not much longer in length then a studio take, exhibits why other musicians saw him as their prophet.

Looks like the Definitive releaseis the only way to get this?

But ... stumbled across another Definitive, "Giant Among Giants-Complete," which are live recordings from the Pershing Hotel Ballroom in Chicago in 1950, and include among the band Von Freeman. Anyone familiar?

New copies from cdimports are fairly inexpensive.

Looks like the Definitive releaseis the only way to get this?

But ... stumbled across another Definitive, "Giant Among Giants-Complete," which are live recordings from the Pershing Hotel Ballroom in Chicago in 1950, and include among the band Von Freeman. Anyone familiar?

New copies from cdimports are fairly inexpensive.

I believe that all of the 1948 Onyx material is on the Mosaic Benedetti box. Bird on 52nd street on Fantasy is also Onyx material. There is also an excellent earlier 1948 concert from the Three Deuces on that box.

The Perishing Hotel concert from 1950 is fantastic. Part of that concert has been around for a long time as "An Evening at Home with the Bird," and later as "One Night in Chicago" on Savoy. The rest of the recordings are only heads and Bird solos, but some of them are extraordinary, and the sound quality is not bad for the vintage. I highly recommend this one. The saxophone player is most likely Claude McLin, not Von Freeman.

As was discussed on another Bird thread not long ago - one of the greatest more recent discoveries of Bird is the Open Door from 1953. Those are also only heads and Bird solos, but they are just incredible.

Edited by John L

just want to note that Massey Hall is brilliant - AND - if you can, hunt down the version in which Mingus did not overdub his base (it's in the Debut box; there's also a Euro release of same) - it so much better, one wonders what Mingus was thinking - sonically it's like listening to a different concert -

Edited by AllenLowe