Verve/Hip-O Select to release EmArcy Clifford Brown sets

J.A.W.

Verve/Hip-O Select will be releasing a Clifford Brown 4CD-set with the EmArcy Brown/Roach master takes. A set with Clifford Brown's EmArcy dates with singers will be released later. Full details here.

I'm perfectly happy with my Complete Clifford Brown 10CD-set that came out in the early 1990s, so I won't be buying the upcoming sets :)

Edited by J.A.W.

It's odd that Universal is letting Hip-O do these sets of masters. . . . Well, the European labels can do THAT. What they have a harder time doing is alternates, unreleased bits, etc.

Anyway, like you I have it all in the complete set, and I also have a handful of the Verve Japan mini lp releases which I like. I'll sit tight. I did spring for the Ella Fitzgerald set from Hip-O though, that's a gem.

I have 2 double LP sets of that stuff that came out on Mercury about 30 years ago. Still great. Might have to consider this set, though.

I have these doubles, excellent pressings. I somehow missed the 10 cd set. But I do have most of CBs music on a mish mash of albums on various issues as well as a couple of cds. I could do with a nice set but I would want the alternates.

I have 2 double LP sets of that stuff that came out on Mercury about 30 years ago. Still great. Might have to consider this set, though.

I have these doubles, excellent pressings. I somehow missed the 10 cd set. But I do have most of CBs music on a mish mash of albums on various issues as well as a couple of cds. I could do with a nice set but I would want the alternates.

Yes, those came out as Emarcy 2LP sets I think, imported here from the US. I bought one of them from Mole Jazz's deletion rack 'back in the day'. Good sound, I agree.

Yes, those came out as Emarcy 2LP sets I think, imported here from the US. I bought one of them from Mole Jazz's deletion rack 'back in the day'. Good sound, I agree.

I'm pretty sure mine came from Mole too.

Yes, they were part of "The EmArcy Jazz Series" - a nice set of releases.

There were others - I have:

Cannonball Adderley "Beginnings"

Maynard Ferguson "Stratospheric"

Sarah Vaughan "Recorded Live"

I've got a 2CD "Best of the Mercury Years" release from a few years back... I assume there's no duplication between this set and the EmArcy set?

thanks

There might be, EmArcy was a Mercury label. Here's the tracklist of the new set:

Disc 1

1. Delilah

2. Darn That Dream

3. Parisian Thoroughfare

4. Jordu

5. Sweet Clifford

6. I Don’t Stand a Ghost of a Chance

7. Stompin’ at the Savoy

8. I Get a Kick Out of You

9. I’ll String Along with You

10. Joy Spring

11. Mildama

12. These Foolish Things

13. Daahoud

Disc 2

1. Coronado

2. You Go to My Head

3. Caravan

4. Autumn in New York

Disc 3

1. Portrait of Jenny

2. What’s New

3. Yesterdays Where Or When

4. Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man

5. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

6. Laura

7. Memories of You

8. Embraceable You

9. Blue Moon

10. Willow Weep for Me

11. Stardust

12. Gerkin for Perkin

13. Take the “A” Train

14. Land’s End

15. Swingin’

16. George’s Dilemma

17. If I Love Again

18. The Blues Walk

Disc 4

1. What Am I Here For

2. Cherokee

3. Jacqui

4. Sandu

5. Gertrude’s Bounce

6. Step Lightly (Junior’s Arrival)

7. Powell’s Prances

8. I’ll Remember April

9. Time

10. The Scene Is Clean

11. Flossie Lou

12. What Is This Thing Called Love

13. Love Is a Many Splendored Thing

• 2 weeks later...

Website only, eh? Think I'll be sticking with the big box too.

DeepDiscount and some of the Amazon Marketplace big dealers carry the Hip-o Select stuff at 20-30% discounts. I do that rather than paying list price from Hip_o Select website. I may well get this set and sell the singles I have. I sold the big box a number of years ago and went with single sessions at a decent $ savings.

Edited by felser

Website only, eh? Think I'll be sticking with the big box too.

DeepDiscount and some of the Amazon Marketplace big dealers carry the Hip-o Select stuff at 20-30% discounts. I do that rather than paying list price from Hip_o Select website. I may well get this set and sell the singles I have. I sold the big box a number of years ago and went with single sessions at a decent $ savings.

I'll be on the lookout. Thanks, John!