What music is on your mind right now?

mikeweil

The jukebox that fills my head seems to be playing Thelonious Monk exclusively :o Monk versions of 'Darn That Dream', 'Crepuscule with Nellie' and 'I' Getting Sentimental Over You' keep rotating.

Strange because when I listen to music, I play a lot of music besides Monk.

I have my own virtual radio in my head and it turns itself on whenever it wants. I almost always have a song going as soon as I wake up and it's usually something I either haven't heard for a million years...or didn't want to hear for a million years! Sometimes it's not an entire song, just a phrase or a riff that gets stuck. Usually it's show tunes or songs from hollywood musicals...this morning I woke up with the Astaire/Rogers version of Let's Call The Whole Thing Off in my head....I haven't seen the movie for at least 5 years....

Jazzshrink...HELP!

:D

Ah, the music in my head. That's the appropriate question for me. In my current life(style), I seldom get to hear music of any kind, much less what I want to hear...except in my head. sundog's mention of In Walked Bud has that "playing" now, previously, I'd been 'listening to' Weston's Blues for Africa and Blues in the Closet (improvising over the latter with my mental tenor).

Some Ralph Towner thing he always does. I had duos/trios playing on repeat while I was working this afternoon.

Before that it was a riff from the Ornette/Naked Lunch DVD that I checked out over turkey week. For the past four days.

When I used to watch a lot of TV, I'd vcr it and mute the theme music and commercials. That helped limit the playback.

I'll fess up...

The Notre Dame Fight Song. I don't know why, but I've been humming that tune for the past week or so, everywhere I go! Sometimes I even sing it out loud! You know... "Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame..."

It's strange, really, because I'm a die-hard Gator alum! That, and Notre Dame's football team has really been crap this year!

I need professional help!

Cheers,

Shane

Mine changes every now and then. The Ellington stuff of the Blanton/Webster band was on my mind because I did a reading of the Ellington passages from Geoff Dyer's book "But Beautiful" for some friends with this music.

Yesterday I go a copy of the tv recordings I did as a member of the Kurdish folkjazz band I play in, and now these tunes are haunting me, they always do when we rehearse or perform them.