Mal Waldron

Late

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

The duets with Lacy are magical. Hard to name a favorite because they are all great. I will give it a try.

R-2717947-1584872113-7338.jpeg.jpg

This is probably the Holy Grail, the Magnum Opus. The music is incredible. But of course 4 cd's are a lot to start with. 

R-4519074-1367184810-9704.jpeg.jpg

I really love this release. Great sound and it contains the true Waldron/Lacy classics like Epistrophy, Snake Out and Round Midnight. The interaction is stunning. This album is a bit Monkish. If you prefer the Strayhorn/Ellington stuff:

R-1239980-1579962866-1348.jpeg.jpg

Equally beautiful and probably the most accessible. 

BTW: the latest Jazzwerkstatt release Live In Berlin is also recommended. 

22 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I came on just to say that -- Sempre Amore might be the easiest to find but the Hat Hut set is absolutely shattering.

And don't snooze on the America and Victor LPs if you run into them... great music.

Haha if we go that way I'd say: don't skip these too either ;)

R-2882096-1305524862.jpeg.jpg

R-6182611-1432890539-7254.jpeg.jpg

But these are no duets of course....

On 14/05/2020 at 4:32 PM, Pim said:

The duets with Lacy are magical. Hard to name a favorite because they are all great. I will give it a try.

Still listening to these. They’re absolutely fantastic, save that the Live at Dreher set is a bit too short.

Thanks for the recommendations.

On to the rest....

On 5/14/2020 at 11:32 AM, Pim said:

R-2717947-1584872113-7338.jpeg.jpg

This is probably the Holy Grail, the Magnum Opus. The music is incredible. But of course 4 cd's are a lot to start with. 

R-4519074-1367184810-9704.jpeg.jpg

I really love this release. Great sound and it contains the true Waldron/Lacy classics like Epistrophy, Snake Out and Round Midnight. The interaction is stunning. This album is a bit Monkish. If you prefer the Strayhorn/Ellington stuff:

R-1239980-1579962866-1348.jpeg.jpg

Equally beautiful and probably the most accessible. 

BTW: the latest Jazzwerkstatt release Live In Berlin is also recommended. 

I only have Hot House.  I found it used a few years ago and discovered that the inside of the booklet was signed by Lacy. :)

17 hours ago, Justin V said:

I only have Hot House.  I found it used a few years ago and discovered that the inside of the booklet was signed by Lacy. :)

That’s nice! I’ve got a copy of Waldron’s What it Is signed by Waldron :) 

if you like Hot House you should definitely give the other duet albums a try. They are strong without exception. 

292543.jpg

This one arrived today. And.... again it's beautiful. Very, very accesible too. 

Now listen from minute 4:00 how they let Snake Out fade into the beautiful Free for C.T. (Cecil Taylor). This is why I like these guys. The chemistry is so intense, the space they both take is huge. I love it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking of getting one of the LPs that make up Live At Dreher.

Does anyone know of any resource that shows how the different tracks compare to the CD release?

It is difficult to tell given that the CD and the underlying LPs each contain so many versions of the same tune.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Congratulations! How many albums is that?

All you have to do next is listen to them all, in chronological order of course :lol:

It's a 148 if I am not miscounting ;) And of course I also own his works as a leader and some sideman work before 1963. 

Plan is, when I've got a little more time (like that time ever comes), to start a blog in his honor reviewing all his works in chronological order. Some random conclusions:

- The duets with David Murray, Archie Shepp and of course Steve Lacy are all spectacular. But the duets with Jim Pepper and Nicolas Simion are also great! Simion really surprised me.

- Most of the records on Tutu are highly recommended. 

- For me his greatest era was between 1969 and 1979. The stuff he produced for Enja, Victor, JAPO, Freedom and Trio are insanely good.

- The duets with most singers are to be avoided, especially the Italian and Japanese singers. Only the duet with Kimiko Kasai is pretty good. The duets with Sumiko Yoseyama are.... terrible to be honest. The duets with Jeanne Lee on the other hand are great.

- Between the more rare discs, one of the best finds was his Live at Middelheim Jazz Festival record. It's a Japanese legit CD-R with some stunning live music with Lacy, Manfred Schoof, Isla Eckinger and Makaya Nthsoko.

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

What comes next? 

I thinks it's time to end my compulsive mania now it's still possible. Enough music in the wantlist but no artists I want to complete per se. Maybe Billy Harper... But that should be easier than Mal ;)

• 1 month later...

So I used jazzdisco and Discogs as sources to complete my Waldron collection. I am pretty sure I own everything after 1963. Any Waldron experts around here who could double check? Perhaps I am missing something.

As a leader on cd:
7-EF4-BB1-C-AF3-F-4-ACC-AA86-6-A38-C9297

As a leader on vinyl
4-F3798-A2-7-A23-4-CCB-B996-893-BD385-E1

As co-leader:
01007-EC4-BF8-A-4438-8-A50-49-C39431314-

As a sideman:
CC9-CD358-20-D4-4-CBA-9-FC7-5983-A118025

Thanks for bothering and before you ask: yes I also own all his records as a leader before 1963. But not all his appereances as a sideman.

2 hours ago, Pim said:

So I used jazzdisco and Discogs as sources to complete my Waldron collection. I am pretty sure I own everything after 1963. Any Waldron experts around here who could double check? Perhaps I am missing something.

As a leader on cd:
7-EF4-BB1-C-AF3-F-4-ACC-AA86-6-A38-C9297

As a leader on vinyl
4-F3798-A2-7-A23-4-CCB-B996-893-BD385-E1

As co-leader:
01007-EC4-BF8-A-4438-8-A50-49-C39431314-

As a sideman:
CC9-CD358-20-D4-4-CBA-9-FC7-5983-A118025

Thanks for bothering and before you ask: yes I also own all his records as a leader before 1963. But not all his appereances as a sideman.

Probably due to my weary eyes, but missingt :

"Breaking New Ground" (Baystate)

Lacy/Waldron "Live At Dreher Paris 1981" (hatOLOGY)