A DEEP OLIVE BRANCH TO CHRISTIERN

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

Right on.. I even started a "Drummer's Corner" which Sir Deepness hasn't responded much to.. "How does Deep tune and muffle his bass drum? I guess I'll never know.. :mellow:

Randall,

This has plagued me my entire recording career. (Not that my recording career has been that prolific).

On the Maynard Ferguson "Chameleon" album I got murdered by the sandbag on the bass drum. The Woody 40th Anniversay Carnegie Hall Concert was OK but it was live.

I finally asked Mel Lewis how he dealt with his bass drum.

He told me to use NO muffling on the front head and only take a paper napkin, folded up, and tape it on the back head next to where the bass drum beater strikes the head.

I think he knew what he was talking about. Of course this is for a Jazz sound. Rock is another ball game.

SsssSSSHHHHHHH

I hear toilets flushing.

DEEP

Edited by DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally asked Mel Lewis how he dealt with his bass drum.

He told me to use NO muffling on the front head and only take a paper napkin, folded up, and tape it on the back head next to where the bass drum beater strikes the head.

Just got the video from a tv recording I made a few weeks ago, and to my surprise I saw I did just that, only that I used two moongel pads above the beater ... and one on the front head. Sounded good.

Count me in as another person disgusted by the nonsense that DEEP has been unleashing on this board. Chris A. has been driven away, one of the few board members who has had personal experience with many of the Jazz greats that we discuss endlessly. Also, Bev, DEEP's other target, seems to have been driven off by DEEP's sophmoric idea of a joke. Bev was a valuable resource on this board for British & European Jazz, quite literate & informative. In essence, DEEP banned them- how are we any better off for this sickening turn of events? DEEP may be a good guy(I've never met him), but his behavior and his subsequent mocking apology are indefensible, uncalled for and horribly uncivil. Shouldn't we be an awful lot more sophisticated than teenage pranks?

D'Imperio brings his dog and pony show here, starts pissing in the pool and valuable posters head for the hills.  Too bad.  As I posted on AAJ, Organissimo is a far less desirable place to hang or in my case of late - lurk - with this guy running amok.

With all due respect, Danny has not traveled outside of this thread since it's creation and has not posted outside the Organsissimo Forums Discussion forum since November 28th. So how is he running amok precisely?

I gave him a warning, now he's mocking me by calling for this truce with Chris and jabbing here and there. No harm done.

It sucks that Chris hasn't been posting. I wish he would. He and Deep should know that if Chris did post and Danny hounded him, it would be at least two more warnings. Danny knows what the gig is and he knows it's my gig. Now he's just jivin' from behind the set.

For what it's worth, here are the post totals from the 11 days prior to Danny's arrival:

chart1.gif

And here are the post totals in the 11 days since his arrival:

chart2.gif

As you can see, there is no decline in posting. In fact it's been following the steady curve upwards, and no it's not because of Deep (sorry Danny), it's been going up every week since this board's inception with or without controversy.

And here is the new member registrations for the last 20 or so days:

chart3.gif

So things are fine. Those who have left have done so out of their own accord. Banning someone doesn't make people stay either. I'm sure you remember Kevin leaving after GregM's banishment. He wasn't the only one.

Like I said in other threads, in this situation I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

The fact of the matter, Ed, is that Deep has remained in this forum.

Don't surf this forum, don't see Deep.

And in the meantime, there are dozens and dozens of other active threads.

And if you want to parcel out action on Deep's threads, then also parcel out all of Deep's posts on same-they ought not to count, since its just him seeking attention.

Look, I agree that Deep is a polarizing character. But that doesn't mean that he automatically gets kicked from any board he appears on, just because his reputation precedes him.

I feel that the prudent thing to do is remain isolated on this thread.

Until the "IGNORE DEEP" option is instituted next year I deem it necessary to extend this courtesy to all my detractors here. How can I get an additional warning when they attack me here?? I'd just be defending myself in that case which should be the right of any poster.

SHIT MAN, KILL ME for it....DUH!!

Also I'm trying to contract Christiern's services and he chooses to not even extend me the courtesy of a declination. Hard to figure that one. He did an introductory statement on my last Big Band Bloviation CD and now he won't even respond to doing the notes for my next one.

Maybe he's just playing HARD TO GET.

SsssshhhHHHHHH.

DEEP

Edited by DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

You're right Jim. Everything's fine. CLASP

Not cool, Ed, editing this post down to this sentence.

But, regardless, I encourage you to check Danny's post above this one.

Until the "IGNORE DEEP" option is instituted next year I deem it necessary to extend this courtesy to all my detractors here.

Stay away from this thread, and you'll stay away from DEEP.

If Danny is true to his word, I don't see why anyone would feel a need to head for the hills due to DEEP's presence.

GHOUL,

CLASP !!

On the topic of music:

I didn't realize how great Mel Lewis really was until I got to play with the Vanguard Orch. after his death. I studied that music and he was sooo musical. The cats in the band told me that after 2 or 3 readings of new charts he had them memorized. He once stated at a clinic "If you have to read big band charts after playing them three times YOU'RE NOT REALLY THAT GOOD" !! ...OUCH!!!

I also played with Buddy Rich's Band, when he had a heart attack, and after his death. He didn't read at all so there was no drum book. That was a tough one. Same thing with him. Total recall.

Stan Getz...same thing.

Gary Smulyan ...ditto.

What the hell is it with these Jewish cats anyway?

DEEP

I didn't realize how great Mel Lewis really was until I got to play with the Vanguard Orch. after his death. I studied that music and he was sooo musical. The cats in the band told me that after 2 or 3 readings of new charts he had them memorized. He once stated at a clinic "If you have to read big band charts after playing them three times YOU'RE NOT REALLY THAT GOOD" !! ...OUCH!!!

Deep,

Mel Lewis is one of my favorite drummers. It wasn't until the later 70s really, that I caught on to his work. I really discovered him through Thad Jones. Thad Jones I saw every chance I got when I lived in Copenhagen (1976 onwards) and had the chance to talk to him many times. He was full of praise for Mel and that's what got me interested. I was still pretty young at the time and am only now beginning to fully understand how good Mel was.

And Thad was just it. A fantastic arranger and both a wonderful musician and man. Seeing him live was just a blast. The man was all music.

Cheers!

I don't fully know the story on the breakup between Thad & Mel but I know at the memorial service for Thad at St. Peters Church in NYC Mel said, with tears in his eyes, "This is the second time you left without saying goodbye".

DEEP

I don't fully know the story on the breakup between Thad & Mel but I know at the memorial service for Thad at St. Peters Church in NYC Mel said, with tears in his eyes, "This is the second time you left without saying goodbye".

DEEP

In an interview near the end of his life, Mel Lewis told Francis Davis that Thad left the band for Denmark "for a chick, a woman over there who had some money and wanted him because she was pregnant with his baby. He left his wife in New Jersey with nothing, to raise a couple of very good kids on her own."

Let me rephrase it so I won't get another warning, or offend someone with a 2000 year old retroactive persecution complex.

WHAT THE HELL IS IT WITH US DAGOS ANYWAY, WHY CAN'T WE DO THAT!!!??

Buddy Rich story:

Buddy was lying on his death bed.

Jake Hanna went to visit him.

When Jake walked in the room Buddy didn't say a word.

He took his left hand and reached over to raise his right arm.

He then let it fall limp and helpless on the bed.

He looked at Jake for a reaction.

Jake responded with, "Well, now you know how all the rest of us have felt all these years!"

Buddy smiled.

Buddy passed away a couple days later.

DEEP

DEEP

I didn't know Thad nearly well enough for him to tell me that kind of stuff, but what I remember is that when we talked about drumming (which we often did ... that was around the time I was doing some studying with Ed Thigpen), he only had positive things to say about Mel.

At that time, the Danish jazz scene was smoking and at Thad's concerts one might well run into any of the many (American) musicians who had chosen Copenhagen/Scandinavia as their homebase.

Just the other day I was talking to an old friend about the many times we went to see Teddy Wilson at "Slukefter" (that was a really tiny and very smokey jazz club within the premises of Tivoli, the world-famous (and vastly overrated) amusement park in the center of Copenhagen).

But the "Montmartre Jazz Club", which was already in its final throws at the time, had so many good concerts that I often had to skip school the next day just to take it all in.

A grand time.

Cheers!

Edited by deus62

deus (My Lord),

The way I heard it re Thad's chop problems was that one night he was sitting in a car with the window closed and a jealous boyfriend or husband came up to the car and put his fist through the window and into Thad's teeth.

I think Thad closed out his career on Valve Trombone as a result.

(Any word from the Governor or his he exclusively just posting on Bush Bashing Threads ?)

SssssSSSSHHHHH

DEEP