Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

Billy Bang + String Trio of New York = box set goodness.

John Lindberg would be nice as well.

They've hit the spot with this series. With that catalogue it will be like shooting fish in a barrel for another round or two of reissues - Roscoe Mitchell, Billy Bang, Paul Bley, Andrew Hill, Archie Shepp, maybe Glenn Spearman, Jemeel Mondoc, Borah Bergman, maybe Redman/Old and New Dreams (maybe not - there's the Haden box of course), and of course Murray Vol II. I wonder if they will find use for the one- and two-off artists who don't really fit any box?

Edited by David Ayers

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the tips on using Amazon.fr! I've never used them before, though French is my best foreign language (OK, that's not saying much). I ordered the Hemphill, Muhal and Adams boxes for a total of E74.81, or USD100.53 according to Amazon.fr's currency converter, which is under $5.60 per disc shipped. I got tired of waiting for US release. Strongly agreed that this series is awesome!

• 1 month later...

I just went through like ... four pages up here (w/40 posts a page, in case) and couldn't find the info on exactly which discs of the Murray box were faulty - "Ming", it seems, "New Life", and I think there was a third?

Was it "Hope Scope"?

The three faulty "mono" discs were Ming, New Life & Hope Scope

Would be cool to get an Art Farmer set (with the Jazztet album added). Or one for the Adams/Pullen material.

Really looking forward to the George Adams box set now that it's out. The Don Pullen and Mal Waldron ones are also on my wish list. Very nice to see this series continue!

Hope they'll do an Art Farmer / Jazztet set soon! :)

I just went through like ... four pages up here (w/40 posts a page, in case) and couldn't find the info on exactly which discs of the Murray box were faulty - "Ming", it seems, "New Life", and I think there was a third?

Was it "Hope Scope"?

Does anyone know whether these are now "fixed" and if I order a set through amazon it will be OK?

Was it "Hope Scope"?

Does anyone know whether these are now "fixed" and if I order a set through amazon it will be OK?

One can only assume since it's been a long while since the error was discovered and corrected. If you want to be sure that all the "bad" ones were recalled from internet retailers like Amazon, I might suggest sending an email to Cam Jazz and asking them that very question.

Was it "Hope Scope"?

One can only assume since it's been a long while since the error was discovered and corrected. If you want to be sure that all the "bad" ones were recalled from internet retailers like Amazon, I might suggest sending an email to Cam Jazz and asking them that very question.

Try this email

simone@camscores.com

I have dealt with Simone over the past few years regarding these boxed sets - he's been very helpful

Had my faulty Murray box replaced

Edited by romualdo

Was it "Hope Scope"?

Try this email

simone@camscores.com

I have dealt with Simone over the past few years regarding these boxed sets - he's been very helpful

Had my faulty Murray box replaced

Thanks for that, romualdo

Edited by Head Man

Hello, this is my first post here.

I ordered the David Murray Octet box a while ago and was shocked by the sound of Ming. I couldn't tell what was exactly wrong with it until I discovered organissimo. Luckily I was able to return the box set.

I did, however, find another defect not mentioned here. I listen on headphones exclusively and on the fifth track of Home, 3-D Family, at about 6:47 I could clearly hear some digital noise (that's how I would describe it). This is not present on the original CD release of Home. Has anyone else noticed this? It would probably only be clearly noticable on headphones.

I heard this once before on a badly remastered CD, the most recent issue of Charles Mingus' Changes One or Two, also not present on the original Rhino CD.

My Black Saint & Soul Note collection mainly consits of Murray and Andrew Hill discs and I would love to delve into these sets, but feel I might be better of tracking down individual releases of albums that interest me instead.

Overal, I think the Black Saint & Soul Note studio albums I own on CD recorded from about the time of Home onwards all sound quite wonderfull and weren't really in need of remastering. Apart from the defect mentioned above the new mastering of Home didn't strike me as an improvement, but then I'm no expert.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

the next bunch, found accidentally whilst browsing on discplus.ch - no covers, no exact date (the say "coming soon" and have a price tagged to them already):

- Paul Bley (9CD / BXS 1027)
- Andrew Cyrille (7CD / BXS 1023)
- Art Farmer (6CD / BXS 21025)
- Oliver Lake (7CD / BXS 1026)
- David Murray (7CD / BXS 1024)

Would that already complete Murray's run?

the next bunch, found accidentally whilst browsing on discplus.ch - no covers, no exact date (the say "coming soon" and have a price tagged to them already):

If it has the same hot treble mastering they needn't bother. I lost my appetite for these sets with the Murray Octet. I really need to download some of these sets to compare to some of the old CDs I own.

If it has the same hot treble mastering they needn't bother. I lost my appetite for these sets with the Murray Octet. I really need to download some of these sets to compare to some of the old CDs I own.

I had one set, the Threadgill, and didn't like the remastered sound. Got a few of the old CDs instead.

Edited by J.A.W.

I briefly downloaded the WSQ and compared (a while ago). It confirmed my suspicions about the hot treble. It made those early WSQ discs sound even less appealing.

Some of the later discs like Andrew Hill's Shades and Verona Rag sound excellent and need no remastering. Neither does David Murray's The Hill (likely on the new set).

Edited by erwbol

I had one set, the Threadgill, and didn't like the remastered sound. Got a few of the old CDs instead.

I really like the sound on my Threadgill set which just goes to show how individual the listening experience is, I guess.

The audio system does also have a bit of influence :)

More! Yeah! I like the sound on these sets, but then again I have a treble cut circuit that is outside the signal path on my amps that helps me enjoy a lot of recordings much more than if the circuit were not there.

Looking most forward to the Murray and Bley.

I really like the sound on my Threadgill set which just goes to show how individual the listening experience is, I guess.

The audio system does also have a bit of influence

.......plus your hearing......mine's pretty poor now.......... :(

Edited by Head Man