Upcoming Lucky Thompson Select tracklisting

I must admit I am somewhat disappointed. Of course this is a very nice set for anybody not having any or not much Lucky Thompson, but I think I will skip this one. I have all of the tracks in some form ecxept for the two with Dizzy, of which session there are two more on which Lucky does not solo. 

Now a Lucky/Bags set (incl. the tracks on Atlantic), that would be cool ...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit I am somewhat disappointed. Of course this is a very nice set for anybody not having any or not much Lucky Thompson, but I think I will skip this one. I have all of the tracks in some form ecxept for the two with Dizzy, of which session there are two more on which Lucky does not solo. 

Now a Lucky/Bags set (incl. the tracks on Atlantic), that would be cool ...

Yes, and by including the Atlantics it would probably justify a 3CD set... and please they should NOT omit the one trio track from those sessions! I bought a cheapo Avid 2CD set just for that one!

Sessions A, C, D and E were all released on Verve Elite Edition CDs in the Nineties*, and as Clunky points out, J was released as a Universal Jazz in Paris CD in 2000.

So that leaves just B, F, G, H and I that don't appear to have been on CD before. That's two albums with Thompson as leader and two tracks on which he is a sideman.

I understand that completism is not the purpose of Selects, but the strategy here strikes me as very odd. If you have the three VEEs, you don't need the music from those sessions. If you don't have them, surely you would prefer to have the complete albums rather than a few odd tracks. I'll have to consider whether $44 is worth it for about one CD of music I don't already own and wouldn't want in this abridged form if I didn't.

* For the record, they were Clark Terry by Clark Terry; The Modern Jazz Society Presents a Concert of Contemporary Music; and Introducing Jimmy Cleveland and his All-Stars.

So that leaves just B, F, G, H and I that don't appear to have been on CD before. That's two albums with Thompson as leader and two tracks on which he is a sideman.

Not quite true - sessions F, G, H and I appeared on the 1993 CD Tricotism, Impulse! GRD-135.

So that leaves just B, F, G, H and I that don't appear to have been on CD before.

F, G and H are on CD here:

3cf01363ada0b05e527fd010.L._AA300_.jpg

And so is session I.

There is not enough material for a Jackson-Thompson-Select on Savoy. There are Atlantic sessions to fill it out. Unless MC goes for a two'fer,which I doubt.

Two things:

1) There is always hope they would find some vault stuff from the Jackson/Thompson Savoy dates

2) I'd have no problem with filling out a standard 3CD Select with Atlantic stuff.

Either way - bring it on MC!

Edited by DrJ

Still not enough material for a Select.

OK I give up...not! ^_^

If they wanted to get that stuff out in a Select they could clearly package it with the Atlantic stuff as well as some other hard to find Thompson...what about some of the stuff that has only been out on Fresh Sound CDs like "Lucky Is Back" (Rivoli) and "Accent on Tenor"? I could use some better issues of this material.

And again who knows - there might be a goodly amount of Savoy outtakes/vault material...we can dream.

The Savoy stuff is good enough that I think it's worth an effort by Mosaic to get it out, even if there needs to be some filling out with slightly less riveting but hard to find material.

Just my two cents, YMMV, yada yada yada...

Edited by DrJ

Can't help feeling that Lucky would have been a great subject for a multi-label big box back in the salad days, sort of like the Jacquet box. Oh well.

gregmo

Yep, I suggested that to Mr. Cuscuna several times a few years back, but probably it just wasn't feasible for them - maybe someday. I know he's an advocate and fan of Lucky's music.

I'm disappointed to find out that so much of this has already been released on CD. There is so much Lucky out there that you'd hope for three CD's of unrelased material. There is easily enough of that out there to warrant the big box treatment. I'm guessing that getting the rights to all of it would be the elephant in the room. I wonder if they ever looked into including the Jackson/Thompson Savoys in this set. That would have made me a much happier camper.

Aren't all the Savoy sessions of Jackson/Thompson easily obtainable? It was 2-3 years ago that I got 3-4 CDs of the purple & yellow Denon versions of these sessions. The Atlantic sessions have been more elusive for me. I have one of the CDs, but would like others. Or is there just one other? Too lazy to look right now.

The full content of the Lucky Thompson-Milt Jackson Savoy 1956 reunions came out on the Savoy/Arista LP two-fer 'Milt Jackson Second Nature', with excellent notes by Doug Ramsey

Milt-Jackson-Second-Nature-421237.jpg

If not Mosaic, wish Savoy which reissued a number of their best dates on CD with additional material (any alternates available on those Bags/Lucky?) would have taken care of these outstanding sessions.

The full content of the Lucky Thompson-Milt Jackson Savoy 1956 reunions came out on the Savoy/Arista LP two-fer 'Milt Jackson Second Nature', with excellent notes by Doug Ramsey

Milt-Jackson-Second-Nature-421237.jpg

If not Mosaic, wish Savoy which reissued a number of their best dates on CD with additional material (any alternates available on those Bags/Lucky?) would have taken care of these outstanding sessions.

There is also quite a bit of the Milt Jackson/Lucky Thompson Savoy material on this;

51ldAWHmVKL._SS400_.jpg

But I think there is one tune missing and they also have one tune on twice by mistake, at least they do on mine anyway.

There is also quite a bit of the Milt Jackson/Lucky Thompson Savoy material on this;

51ldAWHmVKL._SS400_.jpg

But I think there is one tune missing and they also have one tune on twice by mistake, at least they do on mine anyway.

That's a Proper (U.K.) set; the Jackson/Thompson Savoy material on that one was not licensed. Just thought I'd mention it :)

Edited by J.A.W.

51ldAWHmVKL._SS400_.jpg

That's a Proper (U.K.) set; the Jackson/Thompson Savoy material on that one was not licensed. Just thought I'd mention it :)

BEWARE " Come Rain or Shine "is omitted as well as Thompson's ballad feature "Whats New" . Proper claims they will correct these problems sometime.

I have the Savoy 2LP set SECOND NATURE Brownie mentions and it's great, but I'd like to have it collected in a well-done CD box. The Denon/Savoy CDs with this material are good but not great sounding.

Probably crazy to many, but for me material this good enough that it's worthy of the Mosaic treatment. And I'm not sure one can assume that just because no alternates or outtakes appeared on SECOND NATURE that none exist. Mosaic has repeatedly found new tapes when assembling their boxes that nobody knew existed or that had been assumed to be long lost.

Anyway, I'll shut up now, because clearly there are a lot of people who DON'T like the idea of a Select with this material.

Edited by DrJ

51ldAWHmVKL._SS400_.jpg

BEWARE " Come Rain or Shine "is omitted as well as Thompson's ballad feature "Whats New" . Proper claims they will correct these problems sometime.

As I mentioned in my post "there is also quite a bit of the Milt Jackson/Lucky Thompson Savoy material", never said it was complete, I also posted "I think there is one tune missing and they also have one tune on twice by mistake".

I never knew Proper had issues with infringing on copyrights J.A.W., thanks for that news flash, your finger is most defintely on the pulse there. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

51ldAWHmVKL._SS400_.jpg

As I mentioned in my post "there is also quite a bit of the Milt Jackson/Lucky Thompson Savoy material", never said it was complete, I also posted "I think there is one tune missing and they also have one tune on twice by mistake".

I never knew Proper had issues with infringing on copyrights J.A.W., thanks for that news flash, your finger is most defintely on the pulse there. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ah, the usual sarcasm from our friend in Ireland. How nice.

By the way, that "beware" part was posted by Bill B, not by me; somehow it ended up in my post that was quoted by Bill.

Edited by J.A.W.

51ldAWHmVKL._SS400_.jpg

Ah, the usual sarcasm from our friend in Ireland. How nice.

By the way, that "beware" part was posted by Bill B, not by me; somehow it ended up in my post that was quoted by Bill.

:rcry :rcry :rcry