still having trouble buying 1st pressings of every Blue Note & Pre

at this rate, its going to take me till im 400 years old to re-buy all this stuff. i was such a fool, i should of started w/ lps from the get-go, instead of the cds

Bluenote and prestige-- that was i was saying in the thread title........ thank god my entire Pacific Jazz collection is on lp, at least i dont need to worry about THAT...........

Edited by chewy

Blue Notes are hard to find in these parts--recently I did find a pretty nice copy of Lou Donaldson's Gravy Train and a somewhat trashed but still okay copy of Horace Silver's The Toyko Blues, both NY USA's and reasonably priced. But it could be months before I run across another one locally. Prestiges turn up a bit more often, but not really that often.

Woolworths scene? :lol: You mean the pic 'n' mix?

Don't know about the 'scene' in the US but here in their esteemed high-quality UK outlets one of my family got a deletion Buddy Rich 'Mercy Mercy Mercy' on UK Liberty for less than 10 of our old shillings..

Edited by sidewinder

the best time was in the 70s, when the cutout 2nd pressings and late period albums where 47 cents like for jackie mclean action and ABOUT HOW LATE DID THAT WHOLE WOOLWORTHS SCENE LAST FOR? DID IT EXTEND TO THE EIGHTIES??

That lasted at least until 1983. I remember being at Third Street Jazz in Philly in Summer 1983 and buying an armload of Blue Note and Impulse! cutouts for like a buck ninety-nine a throw. The Peaches chain had BNs in the cutout bin at least through 1982 if not longer.

I recall finding only three original Blues Notes in those random cutout collections that used to be sold at the likes of Woolco--Big John Patton's Got a Good Thing Goin' (NY USA), Duke Pearson's Wahoo (NY USA), and Hank Mobley's The Flip (Liberty). Then there was a place in Austin where I found quite a few of those rainbow series Lps as cut-outs.

My BN Woolworth scene took place in Montreal in the Summer of 1976 when I was out there to cover the Olympic Games.

On a very rare afternoon off, I walked past a record shop (on Sherbrooke??) with its walls filled with hundreds of sealed Blue Note vinyls. All for Canadian $3,99 each. I stopped buying after getting about three dozen of the LPs when I started worrying about the extra weight and luggage space.

United Artists labels most of them, no Lexingtons!

We never saw any Blue Note deletions around here except for some seventies stuff - you could always pick up a Bobbi Humphrey cheap.

What we did get at a long-since-closed indie store were very odd deletions. One day in 1980 I went in to find scores of Peacock/Songbird gospel LPs and sermons at two quid. I bought a few. A week later, all the rest were still there, but 1.50, so I bought some more. Then they went down to 1.00, and I bought some more. I bought them all when the price reached 0.50 :) That was the beginning of a serious Gospel collection, because I started ordering LPs from Ernie's of Nashville after that.

MG

We never saw any Blue Note deletions around here except for some seventies stuff - you could always pick up a Bobbi Humphrey cheap.

MG

Deletions in Italy meant that you didn't find the records in the shop anymore period. The remainders, usually pop stuff, ended in the bargain bins, no cut corner or thing like that. As far I can remember.

I remember seeing Applause pressings in the Canadian mall cheapo racks back in the early 90s (I bought 'Am I Blue' for 99 cents :rhappy: ).

And Liberty issue cartridges/8-tracks going for cheap UK mail-order with Melody Maker back in the mid-70s ! That was how I first heard 'Sixth Sense' and 'Caramba'.

Edited by sidewinder

I remember seeing Applause pressings in the Canadian mall cheapo racks back in the early 90s (I bought 'Am I Blue' for 99 cents :rhappy: ).

Was it a better session for being had at that price?

:g

At the time I'd never seen any copy of this - on LP or CD so even though it was one of those garbage Applause reissues it was a no-brainer (not to mention getting change out of a Loonie :crazy: ). Since then I've picked up a near-mint mono vinyl original so it gathers dust ! Maybe I should do an Applause Label freak show display? I like this session by the way, although it regularly gets panned.

Edited by sidewinder

At the time I'd never seen any copy of this - on LP or CD so even though it was one of those garbage Applause reissues it was a no-brainer (not to mention getting change out of a Loonie :crazy: ). Since then I've picked up a near-mint mono vinyl original so it gathers dust ! Maybe I should do an Applause Label freak show display? I like this session by the way, although it regularly gets panned.

I had the Applause version, too :)

I'm not one of those who pans it, either. Think I'll listen later; it's been a while.

MG

I had the Applause version, too :)

I'm not one of those who pans it, either. Think I'll listen later; it's been a while.

MG

In that case I'm going to tie these threads together and listen to Bobbi's Flute-In, on Applause, which I picked up from a cut-out bin in Boston in 1994.

As I remember, it's not all bad, just mostly.

• 2 weeks later...

saw the Miles albums (workin cookin etc) they are yellow label prestige rvg stampers but the vinyl, its not as thick as other period prestige vinyl i see and have. were there multiple runs of the yellow label versions?

Considering that you are going to invest more or less the same budget needed to resume a mission to the moon, I suggest you to buy this book, not for the quoting, but for the info about pressings. Very useful.