A quick (personal) update ...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thyroid cancer is very, very curable. I think the survival rate is above 95%, IIRC. An ex-girlfriend of mine had it. She had to have two operations. They took out 1/2 of her thyroid thinking that it had not spread to the other side. Unfortunately, it had so they went back in and took out the other 1/2. She did the radiation pill too. Anyway long story short she's fine now (9 years later) and she had twins a few years back, too.

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, survival rate is high, but do keep in mind that there are (at least?) three different types of thyroid cancer. Mine was of the follicular type which loves to spread to the lungs once it has reached a size above, say 1 to 2 cm and more. Mine was small enough not to have done that, a lady at the same hospital wasn't so lucky.

So, curable, yes, but things get very difficult down the road if you carry this around too long and if you have a more dangerous type.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and the encouragement oozing from your posts. :)

I'm fine and despite the fact that is the second (mild) bout with the big "C", I'm keeping a very upbeat attitude and outlook (not always as easy as it sounds when you consider the various health issues I had to fight with because of what the cancer caused (not the cancer itself ... which was usually removed and treated fast and efficiently once found).

I certainly do not want to start a political discussion here, but without a good solid (in my case private) insurance, I would have been screwed years ago. Last night, just out of interest and because I have to send in bills, I added up all the costs I have so far raked up (for my insurance) and including the hair-risingly expensive and extensive search for both problems I had these past years plus the serious health "side-issues" that needed to be taken care of, I have passed the two-hundred thousand Euro mark. I ain't kidding. In my area, that's almost a decent-sized house.

So people, as long as it's only a sore tooth, no probs, but in two cases like mine, you'll end up under a bridge in a sleeping bag.

BTW: Once you start analyzing all the numbers and treatments it also becomes quite clear that the system in my country is far from efficient. A lot of money is wasted. I hope you understand that I couldn't give a rat's ass right now (I benefited greatly from all of it), but things need to be streamlined here to save huge amounts of money for the state. Still, without the system we have in place, I would have been screwed.

So glad you're doing well. I thought you were gone from here because it can be annoying. :) Best wishes for your recovery, my friend!

Jim,

we always come back, don't we (even drama queens like me)?

I still wish couw would one day, but I guess he's one of the very very few that is cured today. ;)

And thanks for the best wishes.

Volkher

Edited by neveronfriday

• 1 month later...

OK.

Last Thursday I got the "all clear" ... cancer free.

It's difficult to describe how insecure one gets about one's own body and how one starts distrusting anything anyone says, but so far, nothing has spread to the lungs, the brain or the lymphatic system.

I'll add a couple of bottles of Venezuelan rum to make sure it stays that way. :)

I've been away a lot, whenever I had the chance, to replenish my energy reservoir and to just meet lots of friends and live it up ... that's why I'm posting here again.

I wanted to ...

a) thank everyone for their mails and personal messages (they were a great comfort),

b) I wanted to thank Hans (J.A.W.), especially, for helping me out,

c) and I wanted to apologize to Flurin (king ubu) for not having gotten back to him re those many mails he sent (I'll get back to you this weekend).

I have been more than grumpy lately, because I had to turn my life upside down, so if I stepped on anyone's toes (can't recall) these past 5 months or so, I'm sorry. Just write it off to my old age. ;)

The little time I afforded myself online, I spent shooting off one-liners to make it look like I was around.

I really wasn't.

Cheers!

Volkher (neveronfriday/deus62/Grumpy/...) ;)