RIP Mike Zwerin

medjuck

Good musician and excellent writer!

Ran into him on a couple of occasions including one when I paid a business visit to the International Herald Tribune offices in suburban Neuilly.

Zwerin was also there on a visit (he wrote on jazz for the paper). Very nice man.

Sorry to hear this sad news. I've a couple of his books and enjoyed them both - most recently read the one about the Nazis and jazz that Allen mentions earlier. 'Close Enough For Jazz' is a book that I've delved into many times over the years and always been amazed that he did that transition from US steel industry boss to French resident (and somehow via Birth Of The Cool and 'Magic Of Ju-Ju' as mentioned earlier). Always came across as a very 'grounded' guy - RIP Mr Zwerin. :(

Edited by sidewinder

I'll always by grateful to Zwerin for translating Boris Vian's Round About Close to Midnight, as wrong-headedly entertaining a jazz book as you will find this side of Philip Larkin. Vian's writing is full of bilingual puns and outrageous jokes in French; Zwerin somehow makes it all work in English.

Edited by jeffcrom

my favorite Zwerin things are his descriptions of working with John Lewis, in his first book. Very entertaining glimpse at a guy (Lewis) whose personal/professional life was about as pomopous as his music (yeah I know I'm in the minority here but Lewis' playing drives me up a wall - apparently Zwerin felt the same way, so I became an instant admirer).