2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...makes me kind of miss Howard Cosell too. His vocal style gave everything such a sense of grand drama.

I agree. Nothing but the most bland, vanilla, broadcasters on Television now, Cosell wouldn't get with ten miles of a network microphone nowadays.

And thank God, too

Marv Albert and Dick Vitale wouldn't be far behind if I had my way.

OTOH, Jon Miller, Vin Scully, Mike Costas, Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow are anything but vanilla.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I like the goofy logic of throwing A.J. vs. Lee for game 3. After all, Cliff Lee is going to win anyway so you might as well lose 12-0. :lol: Of course the problem is that then you'd have to throw Hughes or Pettite a day early.

Edited by Quincy

The Mariners will announce shortly that they have located the body of Eric Wedge and will be hiring him to manage in Seattle. In his seven seasons with the Cleveland Indians, Wedge went 561-571. As near as I can tell, the only upside to this is that he won't have to get used to losing. If I was an M's fan, I think I'd be considering my alternatives.

AJ's throwing Game 4, actually.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. There's been some sports radio talk that they should pitch in Game 3 vs. Lee since everyone is convinced the game might as well not even be played since Lee always wins.

If I was an M's fan, I think I'd be considering my alternatives.

I'm not becoming a soccer fan.

If NY loses tonight, it puts intense pressure on both Phil Hughes to throw a great game tomorrow and on the Yankees lineup to come up big against Cliff Lee in Game 3. And they can hit Lee--people forget that they tagged him for a few runs in Game 5 of the WS last year (lost largely because AJ got blown off the mound) and that they hit him quite well in a game against Texas this year (granted, that was when he was having his back problems). He's not invincible...just 95% of the way there. Still, I think NY went into this series with only one non-Lee game to give away...would hate to see it be Game 1. And much respect to C.J. Wilson, btw... Posada was wise to note what a good pitcher Wilson's become earlier this week, when everybody kept asking him about Lee.

EDIT: 5-0 in the bottom of the 4th and CC's pitch count approaching 100? Yeah, I think this one's pretty much lost.

Edited by ghost of miles

Man, that sucks....good hitting always beats good pitching, I never say...except when it's the Yankees. I guess its really great hitting.

How long was the top of the 8th, 30-35 minutes??? Half of that must have been for pitching changes. Can't blame Ron Washington, did everything possible...Guess C.J. Wilson should have covered first a little faster...

EDIT: 5-0 in the bottom of the 4th and CC's pitch count approaching 100? Yeah, I think this one's pretty much lost.

Obviously I stand happily corrected.

What an incredible comeback--probably the best NY postseason comeback since Game 4 of the 1996 World Series. You're right, J.H., it's a huge win for NY... Texas winning tonight with Lee set to start Game 3 would have really put NY in a hole.

On another note, the bizarre AL postseason homefield DISadvantage continues. Home teams are now 1-8.

Edited by ghost of miles

Guess C.J. Wilson should have covered first a little faster...

That was an incredible play by Gardner and ended up opening the floodgates in the 8th. Kinsler getting picked off in the bottom of that inning was huge, too, especially with Kerry Wood not looking too hot at that point.

Just glad to see NY win the opening game after coming off such a long layoff.

Series over. Turn off your televisions.

No way, Jose! I've seen way, way too many best-of-7 series, and this is a damn good Texas team. They are not going to fold... tough loss, yes, but if they win tomorrow, the series is tied--and then you've got Lee pitching for Texas in Game 3 and A.J. pitching for NY in Game 4. :ph34r:

Edited by ghost of miles