Miles Davis News

JETman

But the Brew boxes will contain the long sought after original mix on cd, plus a few extras! It's not all bad.

I'm very disappointed that the regular Legacy Edition won't include the Tanglewood set. To get that I'd have to buy the Anniversary Edition with the LPs that I don't even need.

That says:

a) the regular Legacy Edition (which I assume is 2CD + DVD, which I liked above) doesn't have Tanglewood

b) to get Tanglewood, you have to get the Anniversary Edition (whatever that is, but not the 2LP + 2CD + DVD edition which doesn't have Tanglewood)

confusing? I bet... maybe ShowsOn could help us out?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't seen ShowsOn's post. He's correct. You have to get b). b) DOES include the Tanglewood, as seen on the page I linked to. Even the amazon page shows "three cds and a DVD", "Four discs."

Okay, I'm not confused any longer. Thanks.

Good news and bad news for any interested buyers: the price has dropped to $117 but now it's "temporarily out of stock".

[/quote

Interesting news. I placed an order today, so I'll find out soon enough if the item comes through. I've wanted the set for some time, but I'm not into paying collector prices. They are selling it as new, so it better be the real set. They might not know it, but if they send a $120 set of CDRs to my crib, they are going to have a bad day (heh heh).

this is available again. I was in jazz record mart in chicago today and they had sealed copy for 125 dollars. When I asked about it they said that on sony's business to business website it had never said that it was out of print - only that orders were on hold. Anyway the copy in stock had only just been ordered.

I believe that they do mail order (it is a wonderful store - with it and dusty groove chicago puts any other city I've been to to shame)

I hadn't seen ShowsOn's post. He's correct. You have to get b). b) DOES include the Tanglewood, as seen on the page I linked to. Even the amazon page shows "three cds and a DVD", "Four discs."

Okay, I'm not confused any longer. Thanks.

Ah, now I can see... thanks! Sorry for being so slow :winky:

Edited by king ubu

But the Brew boxes will contain the long sought after original mix on cd, plus a few extras! It's not all bad.

I'm sorry if this is common knowledge, but I thought the original mix was on "The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions" 4CD set. Is it not?

I'm sorry if this is common knowledge, but I thought the original mix was on "The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions" 4CD set. Is it not?

No, it's the Wilder remix.

"Miles Beyond" article about the making of The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions

Hoffman forum thread about the upcoming sets (with several participants from this forum :))

Hoffman forum thread about the upcoming sets (with several participants from this forum :))

Lots of gnashing of teeth about the price of the trumpet case over there. I figured a lot of the regulars there would be pre-ordering.. :D

Edited by sidewinder

Lots of gnashing of teeth about the price of the trumpet case over there. I figured a lot of the regulars there would be pre-ordering.. :D

I'm waiting for the upcoming 'Complete Columbia Miles Davis on 7-inch Singles' (comes with free Jukebox). No price yet.

I stand with one of them ;) on this DVD biz:

"I shouldn't have to sit in my living room where my TV and DVD player is to listen to music. I have a dedicated music room- I want the CDs. It doesn't have to sound perfect or hi-rez, etc., just put it out on CD! Why can't they do that anymore? Why does everything have to have a DVD now? Fine, include the DVD, just don't make the audio part of it exclusive to the DVD!"

Thanks, Hans! I've got one observation and two questions:

If they are now re-releasing the original mix, I wonder about the validity of the following statement from the "Miles Beyond" article:

Wilder: "Another reason for re-mixing the original Bitches Brew material was that the two tracks had not aged well. So we could either work with inferior tape copies from other countries, or go back to the original eight tracks and re-mix them, and so save ourselves a generation.

The questions: What mix was used in the Complete Columbia Album Collection from last year, and how does the non-Japan CD reissue from ca 1990 (which is said to have the original mix) fare in comparsion with other versions?

Gee, I see myself buying BB the fifth time...

- first I had the old 2CD (French "Jazz Originals")

- then I got the 4CD set

- then after discovering it had glue on CD1 after many years and only getting a CDR as replacement from crappy Sony Switzerland, I bought another 4CD set from someone here (which had glue on CD1 as well and I got the money back and presented it to a friend, whom I had - so it would actually be BB #6 - earlier given the new 2CD set as a gift already)

- then I got myself the newer 2CD set as well, in order to have a real replacement/CD for the defective CD1 of the box

And now? get the Deluxe 2CD/1DVD set for a price almost as cheap as the 2CD set I got a mere one or two years ago?

Or spend a whole lot of $$ for the big sucker to get another CD with a rare (and I'm certain great!) live set?

Not sure yet... I guess I'll wait some and keep the eyes open for a good offer, eventually...

Edit: reading Daniel's post above, I should possibly have kept the old 2CD version to have the original mix... ha, life sucks!

Edited by king ubu

Gee, I see myself buying BB the fifth time...

Fifth? Hmm, I only have the 2006 Jpn edition (SICP 1220/1). It's nice to be the model of restrain around here! ^_^:rolleyes:

ha, life sucks!

I was thinking the same thing. It's going to hit 90 today and I'm out of weizen!!! :o

Time for a trip to Germany to restock :)

Thanks, Hans! I've got one observation and two questions:

If they are now re-releasing the original mix, I wonder about the validity of the following statement from the "Miles Beyond" article:

Wilder: "Another reason for re-mixing the original Bitches Brew material was that the two tracks had not aged well. So we could either work with inferior tape copies from other countries, or go back to the original eight tracks and re-mix them, and so save ourselves a generation.

The questions: What mix was used in the Complete Columbia Album Collection from last year, and how does the non-Japan CD reissue from ca 1990 (which is said to have the original mix) fare in comparsion with other versions?

I suspect the Wilder mix was used in that box. Just checked the accompanying book and as far as I can see it says nothing about the mixes that were used. Haven't listened to Bitches Brew in the box yet.

I suspect the Wilder mix was used in that box. Just checked the accompanying book and as far as I can see it says nothing about the mixes that were used. Haven't listened to Bitches Brew in the box yet.

I've now compared the two versions I've got - The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions and The Complete Columbia Album Collection and they appear to be two different masterings. The latter is much "quieter" (= less compressed) and there are differences in the balance between instruments. For what it's worth, the production credits at the very end of the book for the 70 CD set says "Mastered by Mark Wilder and Maria Triana at Battery Studios, NYC".

Late EDIT to say that I had confused the graphs; they show the left channel of the track 'McLaughlin' from the Complete Columbia 70 CD box (upper) and the Complete BB box (lower):

post-124-127551172844_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daniel A

I must say, I knew it'd be pricey, but my jaw dropped.

I've now compared the two versions I've got - The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions and The Complete Columbia Album Collection and they appear to be two different masterings. The latter is much "quieter" (= less compressed) and there are differences in the balance between instruments. For what it's worth, the production credits at the very end of the book for the 70 CD set says "Mastered by Mark Wilder and Maria Triana at Battery Studios, NYC".

Mark Wilder has stated somewhere (can't find the quote right now) that he selected the masterings for the 70CD-set he thought sounded best. He may have picked the mastering for the 2006 Japanese mini-LP sleeve reissue of Bitches Brew (Sony SICP 1220-1); according to the inserts and the obi that mastering was done in 2006 by Mr Wilder himself and his remix was used.

Mark Wilder has stated somewhere (can't find the quote right now) that he selected the masterings for the 70CD-set he thought sounded best. He may have picked the mastering for the 2006 Japanese mini-LP sleeve reissue of Bitches Brew (Sony SICP 1220-1); according to the inserts and the obi that mastering was done in 2006 by Mr Wilder himself and his remix was used.

Thanks again, Hans. I just recently got the Complete BB Sessions box along a few others from the "metal spine" series. A friend who'd found he'd quit listening to physical CD:s gave them to me. I haven't heard the Bitches Brew album in its entirety and would like to approach it by listening to the original mix to start with.

I grew up with the "alternate" version of 'Miles Ahead' and still haven't etirely gotten used to the correct version, which I only heard some six or seven years ago. Don't want to go through that again if it can be avoided. But maybe the difference between the BB mixes isn't that big?

Edited by Daniel A

The remastering on the Columbia Albums box set is different than the Japanese "original mix" cds. The mix is very similar, perhaps identical, but the tonal balance etc. is different. I believe most will be very pleased when these new sets come out.