Miles Davis News

JETman

Well, me might just disagree here... all I'm saying is that if the whole music business would have started behaving sanely ten years ago, they might not have gone down the drain. I've bought *a lot* of Sony, EMI and Universal titles in the past 12-15 years, believe me! I'm not to blame :crazy:

All I'd wish is that instead of catering the crowds with yet another silly gimmick, they'd sort of threat their legacy in a more serious way and would also cater those who really care, even if that might be a small crowd.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I'd wish is that instead of catering the crowds with yet another silly gimmick, they'd sort of threat their legacy in a more serious way and would also cater those who really care, even if that might be a small crowd.

Yup, and if these companies would've stopped reissuing Kind of Blue, Soul Station, and Tenor Madness again and again again to mostly the same small crowd that bought this music already, and if these companies would've reissued more interesting titles to said small crowds that now essentially languash in those companies' vaults, then maybe thier reiussue programs would've lasted a little longer. Aaah, who am I fooling. What a shame nonetheless.

Yeah, I get you both. But here's the thing: too often these general announcement type threads turn into whinefests about what we aren't getting instead of giving thanks that reissues are still happening to at least some degree. At least if a reissue program is ongoing, there's always a chance you might get what you want at some point in the future. You always have the option not to buy. It's up to the manufacturer to intepret such an act however they wish to interpret it.

Guilty as charged for buying KOB, Soul Station and Tenor Madness at least twice apiece. blush2.gif

same here - twice each... before I was 25, even :crazy:

I think there's a OTC box languishing at my local shop.

I saw the comments/posts above - but I missed this: when did this box turn into a rarity? I had no idea it ever did... used a similarly good offer from UK amazon as sidewinder mentions above and never thought this was a rarity or anything!

Guilty as charged for buying KOB, Soul Station and Tenor Madness at least twice apiece. blush2.gif

Oh buying something twice isn't even on the scale around these parts! That's like not owning a copy at all. Are you some sort of cheapskate?? ;)

On a more serious note, I am very curious to know the dynamics of the CD market now as far as anything historical/collectible/minority-interest goes. CDs seem so out-of-date that every reissue seems like a throwback, like reissuing an LP or cassette. I can't believe either that people who own or have owned thousands of recordings in the past can be all that fussed about buying any more (with a few exceptions mainly concentrated on this board...). I wonder what the reality is... how many 'collectors' worldwide... 3,000? 10,000? in a world of 3,000,000,000... bearers of the torch or just beermat collectors by other means...?

A replica of the mouthpiece? A replica? What's the cost of a trumpet mouthpiece, why not just included a real one?

Retail? $40.00 http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/index2.php?cPath=197_213_214_683

And those are pretty basic, stock mouthpieces, and that is a "good price". There is much more that can be spent: http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/index2.php?cPath=197_213_638_636

Me too - KOB (3 - original desecration CD, remaster, Miles/Trane box), Soul Station (2 - McMaster, RVG), Tenor Madness (2 - OJC, Rollins Prestige box). And I'll buy 'em again if something new comes along that makes price/value/utility point sense for me. I have shelled out for 'A Love Supreme' on CD four different times. But I don't need a facsimile trumpet case or mouthpiece.

So I have to re-buy Bitches' Brew just to get a DVD of the lost quintet? Fuck that.

Bertrand.

Yeah seems like a waste. (Though I would be interested if they separately released an audio-only version - it's a great concert.)

Sony isn't releasing worthy of my interest this time around.

Guy

I'm interested in the Bitches Brew reissues. The first CD release sounded horrible. The second came with Disc 1 covered in glue. Never thought the CD issues came close to the original vinyl, which is the best place to appreciate Harvey Brooks' bass.

Wonder what the extras will be? I'd be interested in hearing outtakes from the session rather than the later stuff that was placed on the Bitches Brew coattails for the box set.

I'm pretty thick-skinned, but my boyfriend was really annoyed at your comment.

Bertrand.

Then don't, but why can't you NOT do it without getting agitated and acting like a drama queen?

Never mind... the drama queens isn't us, it's the effin' music biz zecs who slept too long and now try desparately to save their own asses by selling silly gimmicks!

I'm pretty thick-skinned, but my boyfriend was really annoyed at your comment.

Bertrand.

Then don't, but why can't you NOT do it without getting agitated and acting like a drama queen?

Never mind... the drama queens isn't us, it's the effin' music biz zecs who slept too long and now try desparately to save their own asses by selling silly gimmicks!

I'm sensing a definite sense of entitlement here. Excuse me if I don't shed any tears.

And once again the fans get screwed by the major labels and asked

to buy something they already own just to get their hands on something

they've been waiting for a long time. And did I see that right, there

are even TWO different BB editions with individual bonus material,

meaning that you'd even have to re-buy BB *twice*? Fuck that!

If I'm reading this release correctly, the box set version has all that the Legacy version does, and more, so if you want all they are releasing, you only have to buy that box set, once.

I don't see what all the pissing and moaning is about. It's a milestone year for one of the biggest selling titles for one of the biggest selling jazz artists and a big label like Columbia/Sony has a right to celebrate it and try to make some sales with several not too shabby releases. What the hell, it's a seminal album in my musical listening and playing development, and I'm interested in these releases, glad they're not letting the opportunity to do something special slip past.

In the end Sony are a business and must have done the research to judge that this sort of thing sells.

The boutique approach clearly works just as well for selling 'classic' jazz as it does for everything else sold in special presentation packs (and think of all those 'bricks' of classical centenary releases - they must do the business).

The distinctive gilt-edged metal spines and the lavish packaging of those eight box sets have placed them in a class by themselves:

- Miles Davis & Gil Evans: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings

- Miles Davis Quintet 1965-'68: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings

- The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions

- Miles Davis & John Coltrane: The Complete Columbia Recordings 1955-1961

- The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions

- The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions

- Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings Of Miles Davis 1963-1964

- The Complete On The Corner Sessions

Having bought several of these I found them - package-wise - pretty awful. The metal spines did not afford an easy read of the eccentrically printed sleeve notes. Nor were the CDs easy to remove or to distinguish what was on each without painstaking reference to the sleeve personnel and track lists which were almost akin to using logarithm tables. Ok not quite. I found myself not going back to the metal spine Complete series for those reasons, despite the cornucopia of bonus tracks. However if I had only one box set I could rescue from a house fire it would be the Complete Columbia Miles Davis. Even with the glue they represent an amazing, if not quite definitive, collection.

I have bought several reissues of BB (inc the original on vinyl) but the Complete Columbia with thin cardboard gatefold is the best so far. I don't want metal spines, plastic jewel cases, vinyl box set complete with a replica mouthpiece, I just want to hear the music. The simple mini cardboard sleeve is fine, the music is unbeatable. Indeed I heard a repeat of a programme on BBC radio on the electric Miles period where Paul Buckmaster staes he thinks BB is the best record of all time in any genre.

The only plus-side to these memorial special reissues is that they keep the name of Miles in the spotlight which is a good thing. Sure, Sony want to squeeze every last drop of marketing potential out of the Miles brand, but why not?

To me, he personified jazz so, like The Beatles, this practise will continue for years if not forever. But I'm just happy with my glue-y box.