Herbie Hancock Complete Columbia Box

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to cancel the Miles mono box when I bought the Mosaic Nichols box for $48, but if prices don't go up (dramatically) I might get it next month.

The Hancock box is all new to me except The Piano and Live Under The Sky. I don't know how familiar you are with this music, but I'd say go for it. The Hancock box is up there with the Miles Davis Complete Columbia Album Collection as far as production quality is concerned. It might even be a bit nicer, even though the book is a softcover.

Do you already have the eight never before released outside of Japan albums?

Do you already have the eight never before released outside of Japan albums?

No. I have patchy coverage of most of the 70s 'domestic' stuff too - some on CD and some on vinyl. Was very impressed with what Mark Wilder did with the sound of the CDs in the Miles box so if this is comparable it looks like a 'must have'.

This was remastered by the same remastering team of Mark Wilder and Maria Triana, so ...

I'd say the book in the Hancock set is better than the Miles book. It's more like the better books from the Miles metal spine series.

Table of Contents

• Foreword ... 12
  • The Chameleon, Essay by Bob Belden ... 17
  • Profiles, Jean Hancock ... 35
  • Profiles, Herbie Hancock: The Composer ... 50
  • Profiles, David Rubinson ... 56
  • Profiles, Herbie Hancock: The Pianist ... 65
  • Profiles, Herbie Hancock: The Synthesist ... 66
  • Complete Discography & Individual Album Commentary ... 71
  • Electronic Instrument Glossary ... 170
  • Production Credits ... 192

$99.99 new from Marvelio on Amazon.com Marketplace. No one else there has it lower than $170. Ordered mine, there are two more left from them.

Many thanks

grabbed one earlier today (hope it's not some Eastern European facsimile/boot)

Sony Europe has theirs made in Poland, so don't panic. ;)

Yeah, wanted to mention that, too ...noticed it on various classical box sets I got this year (the Leon Fleisher Album Collection, the Verdi at the Met box). Others (Decca, UMG) just state "Made in the EU". As long as we don't have to find out it's Romanian kids doing child labor and stuff, I'd not be bothered too much ... hey, after all for all the chuch of "i" crap you all are using some lives were sacrified, too ... you wanted globalization, now there you got it ;)

It bothers me, too - bigtime - but what to do? Local retail is done, local manufacturing even more so ... but indeed, there are many, many things I'd gladly pay, say 20% more if I knew people manufacturing it were being treated in a dignified way. Now I'm not saying Sony isn't treating workers in Poland in an acceptable way - I sure hope they do, and the upside is this creates jobs and opportunities ... only all too often, the main focus seems to be on "cheaper, faster, more" type of exploitation. Rotten world.

Anyway, hope the postman will dump the Hancock today - and that Miles Mono box is overdue, too!

Now I'm not saying Sony isn't treating workers in Poland in an acceptable way - I sure hope they do, and the upside is this creates jobs and opportunities ... only all too often, the main focus seems to be on "cheaper, faster, more" type of exploitation.

Not sure what is the 'factory in China' you are talking about but a lot of intra-EU investment is going to Poland now because conditions are right in various ways. I really don't think exploitation comes into it though someone might weigh in and explain why I am wrong.

There seem to be few CD plants in Europe - does anyone know the story on this?