Stanley Turrentine ANOTHER STORY 1969

Nah, the local critics back then pretended that The Recovery Room didn't exist (or maybe/probably they weren't pretending...I doubt they did know, or else figured it to be a junkie hangout with junkie jazz). But a few years after it folded & Marchel started playing "white"(er) clubs, all of a sudden every one of them motherfuckers had been there every damn night. Yeah, right.

It's so much easier to write history than it is to live it...less time involved & the Dearly Departed don't get in the way.

• 11 years later...

A couple of days ago picked this up at the record fair. I don't have the Turrentine Mosaic, so I wasn't aware of this date, and wanted to skip it at first, but then I looked at the line-up, looked at the titles, and I had to have it. What a wonderful set of music! I wonder why it was never released as a CD by Blue Note...this is some great hard bop. In 1969 to hear a set like this on record...how "not in the party line" was that? Duke Pearson did very well! This set could've been Alfred Lion-produced in 1962. I wonder if there were any other compositions recorded for this session...

NzgwNi5qcGVn.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

A couple of days ago picked this up at the record fair. I don't have the Turrentine Mosaic, so I wasn't aware of this date, and wanted to skip it at first, but then I looked at the line-up, looked at the titles, and I had to have it. What a wonderful set of music! I wonder why it was never released as a CD by Blue Note...this is some great hard bop. In 1969 to hear a set like this on record...how "not in the party line" was that? Duke Pearson did very well! This set could've been Alfred Lion-produced in 1962. I wonder if there were any other compositions recorded for this session...

NzgwNi5qcGVn.jpeg

Back then probably "out of time" but truly excellent ....

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

NzgwNi5qcGVn.jpeg

:)

9 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Ā 

"Another Story" was reissued as CD in Japan some years ago and I immediately loved it.Ā  The half of "Easy Walker" also comes from the same period (McCoy Tyner on piano) and very good too.

On 6/18/2010 at 1:52 PM, Shawn said:

Ā 

Ā 

Look at it this way. You also get Comin' Your Way, Jubilee Shout, A Chip Off The Old Block, Mr. Natural and In Memory Of (the last 2 never on CD outside the Mosaic, afaik).

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Those 2 were released on cd in Japan twice since this post was first posted.

19 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Are any of the last three mentioned must haves? (I know the first two).

Chip is from '63 and is kind of the outlier among these as it's got Shirley Scott on B3. Bouncy beats and a different attitude from the other two. If you like B3 grooves then this would be considered a must-have.Ā Ā 

Natural and Memory are both from '64 and are solid sextet sessions that share Cranshaw on bass.

Elvin is not so polyrhythmic on Mr. Natural and kind of plays it straight. Maybe that's because Barreto is there? I don't know. The track Shirley from Mr. Natural has a great vibe. I think Morgan & Turrentine play really well together on this album - doesn't really make sense that it was shelved but who knows what the deal was.Ā 

Memory - Title song is pretty slow - probably too slow but otherwise it's a good record. Compositions are well put together and playing is cohesive. Niger Mambo is a short and sweet scorcher. Overall not as good as Mr Natural though.Ā