Getz: Sweet Rain

medjuck

SWEET RAIN was set to be included in a batch of VME's as far back as 2000 (perhaps even 1999; at least as far back as the Verve BB existed...) but it never appeared. I seem to recall legal action by the Getz estate having something to do with it.

A shame, as it is one of Stan's finest.

For some previous discussion/rumours etc. regarding unissued tracks from 'Sweet Rain', see this thread (some 10-15 posts down):

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...3&hl=sweet+rain

I have no discography, but at least the track I'm referring to in that thread is from a completely different session, with Steve Swallow and Roy Haynes instead of Ron Carter and Grady Tate. It's nothing short of excellent...

Here is a post I made at the BNBB about a year ago when this subject came up:

This was discussed in a thread at the now defunct Verve board. There is some sort of legal tangle regarding previously unreleased Getz material. That’s why there were no new Getz reissues for a couple of years, and when a couple finally appeared, they only had the original LP contents (Recorded Fall 1961 and Stan Getz And The Cool Sounds).

The last Getz reissues with previously unreleased material seem to have been released in 1998, so the problem must have surfaced shortly after that. I think it involved the Getz estate, but I don’t remember any longer exactly what Mark@Verve said. I think it is clear though that we would have seen more Getz reissues after 1998 if this problem hadn’t existed. Getz is a big seller, and Verve still has many Getz albums that haven’t made it to CD.

As far as bonus material to Sweet Rain is concerned, this album was recorded at two sessions in March 1967 (21st and 30th). The first session produced three tunes that were included on the album, but also three additional tunes that remain unissued. They are:

Mike’s Blues

A Nightingale Sang In Barkeley Square

When The World Was Young

I remember the LP of this, though I never did get around to buying a copy for myself. It sure is a fine album, with a superb cast. Chick sounds a bit like Herbie Hancock here (and there's nothing wrong with that!), but his style had not completely settled yet. He sounds like McCoy on Cal Tjader's "Soul Burst", and like Monk on those early sessions with Blue Mitchell. Again, who would mind that?

As far as bonus material to Sweet Rain is concerned, this album was recorded at two sessions in March 1967 (21st and 30th). The first session produced three tunes that were included on the album, but also three additional tunes that remain unissued. They are:

Mike’s Blues

A Nightingale Sang In Barkeley Square

When The World Was Young

So when did the session with Swallow and Haynes take place? A take of Corea's 'Windows' with Getz, Corea, Swallow and Haynes was included in the 5 CD box 'Music Forever and Beyond' on Corea's own Stretch imprint. This is the info in the booklet:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows (6:32)

(Chick Corea) MCA Music Publishing, a division of MCA, Inc. (ASCAP)

Chick Corea - piano

Stan Getz - saxophone

Roy Haynes - drums

Steve Swallow - bass

from a 1967 unreleased recording at Van Gelder Studios. Under license from PolyGram Special Markets, a division of PolyGram Group Distribution, Inc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was under the impression that tracks from this session were to be included on the cancelled reissue of 'Sweet Rain', but apparently I was in error. Anyone around with a discography who could check the aforementioned session?

Edited by Daniel A

I recently bought a Getz album on the West Wind label entitled "Sweet Rain" but it consists of live recordings from two different quartets. (I guess it's a European bootleg.)

The tunes are: Sweet Rain, Wee, Lush Life, Night Time Street, La Fiesta, Lester Left Town and Lover Man. The first 5 were recorded at The Salle Wegram NYC in 1969 and Getz is backed by Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Tony Williams. No date or place is given for the last 2 numbers but the rest of the group consists of Albert Daly, George Mraz and Billy Hart.

This is a good record but not as good as the Verve Sweet Rain. (At least as I remember it.)

I recently bought a Getz album on the West Wind label entitled "Sweet Rain" but it consists of live recordings from two different quartets. (I guess it's a European bootleg.)

The tunes are: Sweet Rain, Wee, Lush Life, Night Time Street, La Fiesta, Lester Left Town and Lover Man. The first 5 were recorded at The Salle Wegram NYC in 1969 and Getz is backed by Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Tony Williams. No date or place is given for the last 2 numbers but the rest of the group consists of Albert Daly, George Mraz and Billy Hart.

This is a good record but not as good as the Verve Sweet Rain. (At least as I remember it.)

I'm sure the music's good regardless, and this is not a dig at you, but West Wind is a bullshit label, IMO. They (and other bootleg labels) will put something out with incorrect dates in order to deceive (either that or they're just plain stupid). Those first 5 tracks you refer to were released on Lotus (ORL 8249) many years ago, and the date given was July 23, 1972. Seems to make more sense, as the "Captain Marvel" session (with Corea and Williams, and a couple of the same tunes) was recorded in March of '72. BTW, just the fact that they titled it "Sweet Rain" should tell you something... :tdown

Oh, and the Dailey/Mraz/Hart material (according to the discog I'm looking at) dates to 1974. It came out on both Joker UPS2075 ("Grand Stan") and Moon MCD20 ("Lover Man")

So when did the session with Swallow and Haynes take place? A take of Corea's 'Windows' with Getz, Corea, Swallow and Haynes was included in the 5 CD box 'Music Forever and Beyond' on Corea's own Stretch imprint. This is the info in the booklet:

Windows (6:32)

(Chick Corea) MCA Music Publishing, a division of MCA, Inc. (ASCAP)

Chick Corea - piano

Stan Getz - saxophone

Roy Haynes - drums

Steve Swallow - bass

from a 1967 unreleased recording at Van Gelder Studios. Under license from PolyGram Special Markets, a division of PolyGram Group Distribution, Inc.

Anyone around with a discography who could check the aforementioned session?

Daniel, I can tell you that this session does not appear in the 1986 Ruppli Clef/Verve discography, and a Google search turned up no matches (except for the Corea set, of course).

Bruyninckx has no trace of this session either, but he gets his info from Ruppli, so it is no surprise. He lists three unissued tracks from the January 8, 1967, the first of the two for the "Sweet Rain" LP: "Mike's Blues", "A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square", and "I Didn't Know What Time It Was".

Thanks, Jim and Mike!

What makes me curious, though, is that Swede is listing a different date for the first 'Sweet Rain' session, and he also gives When The World Was Young instead of I Didn't Know What Time It Was as the last unissued title. I wonder what source of information he has.

Regarding the mysterious session with Swallow and Haynes I'll continue with some research. I'm planning to contact GRP/Verve (a closer look at the box set revealed that it was issued by GRP rather than Stretch), but honestly I don't think it will lead anywhere. Their website doesn't give any email address. At the bottom of one page there was a 'Contact us' link (which probably was left there by mistake), but I was only directed to a useless FAQ page...

The source is Lord. But discographies are not necessarily correct. Nor complete.

I’ve been thinking about this. Swallow and Haynes were both members of the Getz quartet that recorded a Verve live album in Paris in November 1966. Perhaps there was a session early in 1967 – maybe even on January 8 – where Swallow and Haynes were still around, and that’s from where the cut on the Corea box hails. They recorded early versions of some of the tracks from the later Sweet Rain sessions and also I Didn't Know What Time It Was. For various reasons the results were not released, and two new sessions were held in March, but now with Ron Carter and Grady Tate in place of Swallow and Haynes, resulting in the Sweet Rain album, as well as a few more unissued tracks. This is pure speculation on my part of course, but it is one possible scenario.

There is more confusion surrounding these sessions. I notice that jazzdisco.org lists A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square as having been released on Verve 815 054 2. But that’s the regular CD release of Sweet Rain, which is a straight reissue of the original LP, and doesn’t contain this track. So is the mention of it as having been issued simply an error, or has A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square actually been issued somewhere?

Anyway, the good thing about the mystery session with Swallow and Haynes is that there may be even more eligible bonus material, if Verve ever gets around to being able to release an expanded Sweet Rain.

I'm sure the music's good regardless, and this is not a dig at you, but West Wind is a bullshit label, IMO.  They (and other bootleg labels) will put something out with incorrect dates in order to deceive (either that or they're just plain stupid).  Those first 5 tracks you refer to were released on Lotus (ORL 8249) many years ago, and the date given was July 23, 1972. ...

Oh, and the Dailey/Mraz/Hart material (according to the discog I'm looking at) dates to 1974.  It came out on both Joker UPS2075 ("Grand Stan") and Moon MCD20 ("Lover Man")

Thanks for the discographical information. I didn't realize that Tony Williams played live dates with Getz. I think I'd presumed that after he left Miles, he'd only played live with his own group or VSOP. Just as I didn't know that Scott Lafaro was a regular member of Getz's group. I guess Stan had good taste in sidemen.