Getz: Sweet Rain

medjuck

I guess now's as good a time as ever to revive this thread...

Has anyone heard anything about those mystery tracks, particularly

A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square? It would be great to see this

album reissued in expanded form (I've been holding off on buying it

just because I don't want to end up with an incomplete release soon).

Edited by Kyo

I eventually was able to find a copy of the Verve Sweet Rain. Can't remember where now. Great record.

Actually, I found this used in a local shop for about $8 just a couple of weeks ago. Had no idea it was so OOP (though according to Amazon it isn't hard to score an import for $12 or so). It is nice, though I also wish they could find a way to release the unissued tracks.

Has anyone heard anything about those mystery tracks, particularly

A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square? It would be great to see this

album reissued in expanded form (I've been holding off on buying it

just because I don't want to end up with an incomplete release soon).

With the sad state Verve is in you can forget about any expanded reissue. Perhaps a Mosaic Single might be an idea, but the Getz estate problem would have to be solved first, and if it were, would Verve lease a big name like Getz?

It's worth mentioning here too that Verve reissued Reflections in 2003 as a straight LP reissue, without any of the four outtakes that exist from the same sessions. It was in the LPR series, and heck, even that series is discontinued now.

As for mystery sessions for Verve, Getz made three of those in February 1961. The third of them is a full session with Scott LaFaro, just a few months before his death, as well as half of what had been the early John Coltrane Quartet (Steve Kuhn & Pete LaRoca). How's that for a session? Only one track has turned up on a compilation.

Stan Getz Quintet

Bob Brookmeyer (vtb) Stan Getz (ts) Dick Katz (p) Percy Heath (b) Connie Kay (d)

NYC, February 13, 1961

23483-7 Upper Manhattan Medical Centre Verve unissued

23484-2 Just In Time -

Stan Getz Quartet

Stan Getz (ts) Victor Feldman (p) Sam Jones (b) Louis Hayes (d)

Chicago, IL, February 20, 1961

23485-1 Evening In Paris Verve 815 239-1

* Stan Getz - Stan The Man (Verve 815 239-1)

Stan Getz Quartet

Stan Getz (ts) Steve Kuhn (p) Scott LaFaro (b) Pete LaRoca (d)

Chicago, IL, February 21, 1961

23486-3 Baubles, Bangles And Beads unissued

23487-1 Little Old Lady -

23488-1 I Remember Clifford -

23489-2 For You, For Me, Forevermore -

23490-3 Airegin Verve 815 239-1

23491-4 Speak Low unissued

23492-4 Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most -

* Stan Getz - Stan The Man (Verve 815 239-1)

What a great album! It was my first Getz. I got it for free when I renewed my subscription to Downbeat, circa November, 1968. It introduced me to Chick Corea, and I think it is still one of Chick's best efforts.

has been one of my favorite vinyls since it was new! sometimes i have considered it stan's finest and most beautiful effort.

As for mystery sessions for Verve, Getz made three of those in February 1961. The third of them is a full session with Scott LaFaro, just a few months before his death, as well as half of what had been the early John Coltrane Quartet (Steve Kuhn & Pete LaRoca). How's that for a session? Only one track has turned up on a compilation.

Yeah, I noticed that stuff while completing my Scott LaFaro collection a few years

ago. I really hope that they'll release those sessions officially eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

I eventually was able to find a copy of the Verve Sweet Rain. Can't remember where now. Great record.

Actually, I found this used in a local shop for about $8 just a couple of weeks ago. Had no idea it was so OOP (though according to Amazon it isn't hard to score an import for $12 or so). It is nice, though I also wish they could find a way to release the unissued tracks.

This must be the year of let's sell our copy of Sweet Rain because I just landed the cd in a local shop today for $8 and its like mint! I really like this date especially the first track 'Litha' which I believe is a Corea tune off Tones for Jones Bones/Inner Space. I've never heard Stan stretch out so much and let loose a little.

This must be the year of let's sell our copy of Sweet Rain because I just landed the cd in a local shop today for $8 and its like mint! I really like this date especially the first track 'Litha' which I believe is a Corea tune off Tones for Jones Bones/Inner Space. I've never heard Stan stretch out so much and let loose a little.

"Litha" is indeed the same tune as on Chick's "...Joan's Bones" session. FWIW, the latter version with very intense solos by Woody Shaw and Joe Farrell is IMO the preferred take of this piece, but Stan's version is also excellent. Of course, it helps that the composer is contributing mightily on both versions. Great track, either date!

• 3 years later...

"Litha" is indeed the same tune as on Chick's "...Joan's Bones" session. FWIW, the latter version with very intense solos by Woody Shaw and Joe Farrell is IMO the preferred take of this piece, but Stan's version is also excellent. Of course, it helps that the composer is contributing mightily on both versions. Great track, either date!

.............agree with your take on litha

Maybe one day they'll reissue this with some of the additional tracks and material that were recorded. That would be sweet!

Stan Getz (ts) Chick Corea (p) Ron Carter (b) Grady Tate (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, March 21, 1967

102414 Sweet Rain Verve V/V6 8693, VE2 2510

102415 Mike's Blues unissued

102416 A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square Verve 815 054-2

102417 O Grande Amor Verve V/V6 8693, VE2 2510

102418 When the World Was Young unissued

102419 Litha Verve V/V6 8693, VE2 2510

* Sweet Rain (Verve V/V6 8693)

* The Chick Corea/Bill Evans Sessions (Verve VE2 2510)

* Sweet Rain (Verve 815 054-2)

Stan Getz Quartet

same personnel

NYC, March 30, 1967

102483 Con Alma Verve V/V6 8693, VE2 2510, V3HB 8844

102484 Windows -

• 4 weeks later...

It was in the LPR series, and heck, even that series is discontinued now.

yes, and why? i was so happy when they started to pop up in the stores. they were like the japanese mini-lps, only cheaper. well, maybe the quality of the packaging wasn't as high, but they were good, and mid-priced. but as soon as they had appeared they disappeared. they were going to be verve's regular reissue series, later replaced by the originals. must be verve's complicated situation in those years... and in present times.