What exactly was Joe Henderson's issue with Michael Brecker's

CJ Shearn

I have been thinking about this one, I think Jim Sangrey brought it up here once, that Henderson called Brecker an "imitator". I've heard Henderson licks in Mike's playing before, but did Joe feel he wasn't properly acknowledged for the influence? Brecker always said how much of an impact Joe had on his playing.

Right..... even though Joe had that incredible creative run with Milestone, whether it worked musically all the time, IDK..... still strong though. I think maybe Joe thought "hey I did this first" and someone else was taking the credit in bringing it to a larger audience. I think Jimmy Smith felt the same way with how the media treated Joey DeFrancesco when he was first coming up and paid him all that attention being the young guy bringing jazz organ back.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Right..... even though Joe had that incredible creative run with Milestone, whether it worked musically all the time, IDK..... still strong though. I think maybe Joe thought "hey I did this first" and someone else was taking the credit in bringing it to a larger audience. I think Jimmy Smith felt the same way with how the media treated Joey DeFrancesco when he was first coming up and paid him all that attention being the young guy bringing jazz organ back.

Did Brecker really sound that much like Henderson? I've certainly never mistaken one for the other (for that matter, I've never mistaken Smith and DeFrancesco for each other either). Brecker did seem at times to bring a certain facile-but-sterile genericism to the "state of the art" of tenor playing that I think has been negative impact. But the same has been true of other "name" players of the last 30 years (hello Pat Metheny and John Scofield, howze it going, Brad Mehldau and latter-day Herbie Hancock, good to see ya, post-'Blues Alley' Wynton Marsalis).

Did Brecker really sound that much like Henderson?

Tonally, not even remotely. Vocabulary-wise...there are "overlaps".

Exactly. Like the fast trill lick that goes to a ritardando. I never mistook Henderson for Brecker or Smith for DeFrancesco either.

Edited by CJ Shearn