Wild/Crazy "concept album" ideas for Organissimo

Let's generate some interesting ideas for hypothetical "concept albums" for Organissimo to record. Ideas do NOT have to be plausible. Just thought this would be fun to do...

I'll go first...

An entire album of Wayne Shorter tunes, and make 'em burn!!! Heavy on the grease!!!

Yesterday I was listening to a live version of Shorter's "Masqualero". (It was a version from Miles 2nd quintet, recorded early in 1969.) And with Chick on Fender, I couldn't help but wonder what an organ trio version would sound like. Perhaps a CD of all Wayne Shorter tunes would be best with a tenor player on it (plus the regular trio), and probably somebody fairly 'heavy', if you know what I mean.

I know, I know - not likely something like this would ever happen. But it's fun to imagine such a beast, even if it never does materialize.

So, what are some other interesting "concept" albums we can come up with for Organissimo??? Again, none of this has to be plausible.

I know that I'll probably get laughed at for this.

My suggestion would be to do the Grateful Dead's first album.

f60223f9n0i.jpg

I know there's some snickering going on, but this albums cooks. I have been listening to it almost non-stop for the last week. The guitar on it is smoking. The bass is inspired. It's got some great grooves and great places to open up on. Listen to this album for a while. I'd be surprised if it doesn't grow on you.

Trust me, this would sound so cool done with some greaze! This music isn't the comatose stuff that everybody thinks of when they think of the Grateful Dead.

Plus, you'd be able to sell it to Deadheads everywhere. We buy every Grateful Dead related release that comes along.

Also, you'd probably get instant admission into the who jamband world. If Blue Note can sign MMW and Soulive, there's no reason that a real jazz group like Organissimo wouldn't get picked up.

:rsmile:

How about something of local historical interest (sounds like fun eh???)

You could have an entire album devoted to someone like Ty Cobb and his baseball exploits (I know Soundgarden have done the track -- but this'll be huge)

OR a tribute to the islands of the Great Lakes and tunes could be named in the fashion of:

Drummond's Hammond

Sweets

Menagerie Trois

and lastly (You'll like this)

Jimmy Smith Goes to Washington Island

cheers, tonym.

• 4 months later...

This quote from Jim comes from another thread on John Patton, and I thought I'd bet better of responding to it here in this thread...

I keep toying with the idea of doing a John Patton tribute record.

That'd be off the hook!! Or how about a combined John Patton / Larry Young tribute album (from Organissimo)???? That would probably get some serious attention from folks hip to probably the two most progressive organists ever.

I mean, sure -- lots most people know who Jimmy Smith was. But are they gonna run out and buy some disc that's a tribute to Jimmy Smith??? Speaking for myself, I probably wouldn't. Probably wouldn't give it a second look, even.

BUT, I sure as hell would find out what's the deal with an organ trio that was recording Patton and Young. I'll be all over that, the second I heard about it.

I'm serious. Give it some thought...

' A Ballpark Tribute to Jane Jarvis'(Comes with overpriced hotdog!)

'Monk for Ice Skaters'

How about a Hendrix tribute? Be part of the growing collection... Possible title: 'Honkin' on Hendrix'

But seriously, have you guys thought about any Charles Earland? He's very greazzzzy, in fact, so greazzzzzzzzzzy that(Excuse me while I wipe my hands)

I have uploaded an MP3 as otherwise no-one would ever take me serious on that Van Rooyen stuff save maybe the Man with the Arm, but he is out of town.

[edit: dis sux as it won't allow access. not good & don't know why. might as well get rid of the link then]

It takes a lot of nerves to play with cornicity like this and come up with something as immensely interesting as this track I find. Crazy.

Edited by couw

I have uploaded an MP3 as otherwise no-one would ever take me serious on that Van Rooyen stuff save maybe the Man with the Arm, but he is out of town.

[edit: dis sux as it won't allow access. not good & don't know why. might as well get rid of the link then]

It takes a lot of nerves to play with cornicity like this and come up with something as immensely interesting as this track I find. Crazy.

:huh:

Lycos Tripod Homepage Building

Sie versuchen, auf eine Datei zuzugreifen, die auf einer privaten Mitgliederseite auf Tripod kostenlos gehostet wird:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/couw/sound/Sundown.mp3

Um auf diese Datei zuzugreifen, müssen Sie in den Account über die Startseite der Mitgliderseite einsteigen:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/couw

(Weiterleitung in 5 Sekunden)

:huh: