(Almost) complete Charlie Parker series

brownie

FA1331.jpg

After completing their Django Reinhardt Intégrale and on their way to add new volumes to their Louis Armstrong Intégrale, Frémeaux & Associés have just started releasing an Intégrale Charlie Parker. Volume 1 is out.

But this time, it is not a Complete series.

Missing wll be the private recordings because of their sound.

Intégrale Charlie Parker

Too bad because a lot of Bird's best is on low-fi recordings.

FA1331.jpg

After completing their Django Reinhardt Intégrale and on their way to add new volumes to their Louis Armstrong Intégrale, Frémeaux & Associés have just started releasing an Intégrale Charlie Parker. Volume 1 is out.

But this time, it is not a Complete series.

Missing wll be the private recordings because of their sound.

Intégrale Charlie Parker

Too bad because a lot of Bird's best is on low-fi recordings.

thanks for the news, brownie. i think they have great liner notes (as always). but for me there is nothing new on it. in 1995 the "masters of jazz" series on "média 7" was complete. but unfortunately this great project and label disappeared after ca. 200 cds of complete cronological recordings of various artists. more or less impossible to find them in these days.

keep boppin´

marcel

I've noticed they have several major artists in this series... What is the story with this series???

Frémeaux & Associés is a successfull label that specializes in reissuing material from various fields (music, French songs, philosophy, jazz, litterature ...).

Their catalogue is quite impressive and includes works by Albert Camus, Louis Armstrong, Jean-Paul Sartre, Charles Trenet and others!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think I get the rationale of this "private recordings" being omitted. The "Honey Body" is not a private recording? What about the last tracks on CD3:

Dizzy Gillespie Sextet Concert, Lincoln Square, NYC, Prob. 30/5/1945 : Sweet Georgia Brown;

Dizzy Gillespie Quintet Concert, Philadelphia, 5/6/1945 : Blue ’n Boogie?

Or is this just code for "we're not touching the Mosaic Benedetti box" and a few other things? What about the Town Hall concert released by Uptown?

Wait and see, I guess.

F

• 4 months later...

this is a good sampler of bird material for people who doesn´t have much of bird´s music. the booklets are always excelent and i suppose that the sound is the best as possible. frémeaux & associés are always high quality! in this second volume is (for me) a highlight: the wonderful live recording of dizzy and bird from billy berg´s 1945. (and i don´t mean the jubilee performances that sometimes labeled as from billy berg´s!). in "52nd street theme" bird quotes at 0:58 "sly mongoose" (imagine: seven years before the other only known recording of that tune with him!) and at 1:12 "tico tico"! he plays very strong and with "verve" on this amazing, astonishing, historic live recordings. and to my knowledge this recording was first on one of phil schaaps "bird flight" broadcasts, than trading in collector´s circles, later on "philology", bird´s eyes vol. 73, later on one of the andorra labels and now here. so this is rare!this are for me one of bird´s best recordings!!!

here are bird and diz at billy berg´s at the time of the recording!!

post-1254-0-01603700-1300396230_thumb.jp

keep boppin´

marcel

Edited by bichos

• 2 months later...

I think that if this had been really, really complete, I might be tempted to buy the whole lot (the old collector's obsession would rear its head). And most Parker is worth listening to once (or twice or more), but there isn't enough new stuff in any of these 3 disc sets so far to justify me getting them (I'd love to hear those Billy Berg tracks, which I don't think I have, but those are the only ones on that set I don't have!) This is a wonderful opportunity for music-lovers without a lot of Parker to get some really great music at a modest price, clearly with some good notes, etc. I think I'll play wait and see with what shows up on the later volumes and take it from there. One of my favourite unofficial tracks is the Blue 'n Boogie from the Academy of Music in Philadelphia in 1945 (with Gillespie): it's the history as much as the music, fine as it is. It was apparently the first time that Coltrane heard bebop, and after the gig, Dizzy and Bird drove back to NYC, had breakfast and cut the Red Norvo date (Congo Blues, etc). The fact that the recording somehow documents a pivotal historical moment (like the Uptown Town Hall Concert) brings its own special vibe to the music for me as a listener.

Point taken! I guess I'll stick with my motley collection of LPs of endlessly various vintages, CDs and CD box sets (even a cassette or two), and thinking about it, there's some Andorran stuff I only have on download. There's enough for a lifetime of listening!