Electric Bass- Like or Dislike?

Leeway

I see more jazz groups using the electric bass. Recently, I saw Patricia Barber and Jason Moran in concert. Michael Arnopol plays a weird looking electric stand-up bass for Barber. Moran's bassist, Tarus Mateen, plays what looks like a bass-guitar with the neck cut-off (a sawed-off bass ? ). I was impressed by the range and quality of the sound produced by both bass instruments (as well as the playing of both bassists). I also read an interview, in JT I think, with Sonny Rollins long time bassist, who says that Sonny also prefers the punch that an electric bass gives.

So, are there electric bass fans out there? Which do you prefer-acoustic or electric? And do you think the electric bass will come to dominate jazz bass in the future?

Guess what the nickname "Upright Bill" comes from.

I, like most Upright players, play both electric and Upright. Electric Bass Guitar was invented to solve the biggest problem with Upright Bass, transporting the darn thing. Frets were soon added to solve the other problem with playing bass. Here is my list of advantages of each:

Electric Bass Guitar

1. Easy to transport.

2. Easier to play.

3. Easier to amplify.

4. Easier to record.

Upright Bass

1. Sounds better.

I'm a huge fan of several electric bassists (I spent a week doing one-onone lessons with Gary Willis at his home, and Marcus Miller is also amazing) and I enjoy playing mine and teaching it. However, to me, jazz is Upright Bass.

I believe acoustic upright bass will remain the dominant force in jazz bass playing.

"Electric" bass has its place.

Also depends to some extent on who's playing.

For example, I've always liked Steve Swallow's playing.

Bob Cranshaw is O.K. too.

A lot of the others (electric bass players) leave me cold.

Electric Bass Guitar

1. Easy to transport.

2. Easier to play.

3. Easier to amplify.

4. Easier to record.

Upright Bass

1. Sounds better.

However, to me, jazz is Upright Bass.

Have to agree with Upright Bill. I have a preference for the upright bass. I understand the use of the electric, which I can tolerate as long as the player can refrain from(which few can) slapping the strings and adding funk into the solo. Just ruins it for me. Even if it is but a note or two, it just seems so out of place. He might as well misplaced the note altogether.

My two cents FWIW.

Tough question!

Personally, I like the warmest sounds when it comes to Jazz guitar or bass. Archtop Jazz guitars, though electric, have the warmest sound and sound very pretty with acoustic instruments.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as an electric instruments tone meshes well with what the ensemble is doing, I'll like it. Or, alternatively, if an electric instrument's tone (bass or otherwise) is making it stick out like a sore thumb, it should be for a reason - it should be fulfilling a different role or doing something creative that will justify it's being singled out - like playing counterpoint to the melody instead of outlining harmonies.

Electric sounds better in progressive or avant-garde rock, like King Crimson, who has done some pretty interesting things with bass (the Stick and Warr Guitars, plus the electric upright and regular basses that Tony Levin uses), but for jazz my opinion is that the acoustic stand-up always sounds better. I tend to avoid jazz with an electric bass, unless it is, for example, Miles' late 60s and early 70s recordings

The electric bass and the upright are both valid instruments. The elctric gets a bum rap but it's capable of a wide variety of sounds that can work in all types of music. I think a large part of the bad rap is that many electric players aren't good jazz players and the instument gets the blame for the limitations of these players.

Harold Z already summed up my feelings, but what the hell; we all know I can't refrain from posting...

I don't give a shit if someone plays an electric kazoo or an uptight washboard, as long as the music's good...

One thing guaranteed to get my eyes rolling and my sarcasm fired up is the suggestion that such-and-such an instrument doesn't belong in jazz. :g

Edited by Jazzmoose

I remember a few years back watching Eberhard Weber playing an electric stand up bass. It wasn't wide bodied like your typical stand up bass but I loved the music that came out of it. Really I think that it's up to the individual and what works best for him or her. Other than that it's what JSngry said.

I agree with the 'it's the player, not the instrument' contingent here. I would go even farther (further?) to say that if I do have a preference here it's for bass as a role, i.e. to provide the 'base', and that I don't care if it's standup, fender, tuba or bass sax. In this sense Adrian Rollini was a great base player, as is the tuba/sousaphone(?) player in the Dirty Dozen, but that Jaco P. and Scotty LaFaro, while great at what they did, weren't base players at all... I hope this is clear and nonoffensive to all.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Which do you prefer-acoustic or electric? And do you think the electric bass will come to dominate jazz bass in the future?

I agree with almost every post. However the questions were, which do you prefer and do you think electric bass guitar will dominate jazz bass in the future.

There are some amazing electric jazz bassists out there (Marcus Miller, Gary Willis, Gerald Veasely, ... ) and equally terrific Upright players. While I agree that its always the music that matters I still prefer the sound of an upright bass over an electric bass guitar. I play both with great pleasure.

I do not think that bass guitar will dominate jazz but you will see more of it if for no other reason than the difficulties of traveling with an upright.

jaco5.jpg

Great photo, say it all ....

I used to hate electric bass because I didn't like Jaco. I can appreciate what he's doing and what's so great about it, but didn't like his stage personality and the sound, rather some bass guitar than a bass.

But I had to work with electric bass guitarists all the time, still do, and some of them are bad mofos. It all depends on the player what he makes out of the instrument, as long as he blends well with the ensemble and has a nice sound, it's alright with me.

On record, I liked James Genus' playing electric on one of Steve Masakovski's Blue Note CDs, and much of Jerry Jemmott or Chuck Rainey.

There are great and bad players on every instrument!

On a bottom line I still prefer the woody sound of an unamplified double bass .....