Herbie Nichols Love, Gloom, Cash

Tom 1960

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually heard this before the BN albums. I love both, but I think my opinion of this one might have been colored a little differently had I gotten to it second. I think I may prefer the BN rhythm sections, but this one is no slouch. The compositions may also be a little less resonant here, but the playing is top notch and they're at least as harmonically colorful as the BN stuff.

Only going off of memory here, but something about Nichols's harmonic palette brings to mind Horace Tapscott's trio music--dense sounds with tons of harmonic color and rhythmic muscle. I think it's "Every Cloud" (on the Nichols album) that has some interesting Maj7 motion--really reminds me of some of Tapscott's harmonies.

Most of his Savoy date is available on an anthology called, I Just Love Jazz Piano.

http://www.amazon.co...89421311&sr=1-1

Has there been a complete issue of this date?

SAvoy Jazz SJL 1166 (1986) pairs the 3/6/52 Nichols date (7 cuts) with the Gigi Gryce Signal date where Monk was a sideman.

Edited by JSngry

• 9 months later...

I seem to recall that this has been answered elsewhere and before, but none of my searches has proved productive... has it ever been established whether or not there is unreleased material from this session? Roswell Rudd's Mosaic set discography lists 6 additional performances, all presumably Nichols originals:

• Riff Primitif
  • Debra's Tango
  • Neighborhood Journey
  • Hip
  • The Happenings
  • Dolly

I can't imagine this material would have not been reissued by this point if it does actually exists, but...

Edited by Joe

I seem to recall that this has been answered elsewhere and before, but none of my searches has proved productive... has it ever been established whether or not there is unreleased material from this session? Roswell Rudd's Mosaic set discography lists 6 additional performances, all presumably Nichols originals:

• Riff Primitif
  • Debra's Tango
  • Neighborhood Journey
  • Hip
  • The Happenings
  • Dolly

I can't imagine this material would have not been reissued by this point if it does actually exists, but...

Perhaps there will be a serendipitous event like Ernest Hemingway's trunk with some early writings turning up in the basement of the Ritz Hotel in Paris many years after he had left it there in storage. That helped lead to the writing of A Moveable Feast.

We can only hope that Herbie Nichols' lost Bethlehem recordings will turn up someday.

In the mid '70s the Bethlehem catalog was owned by Leiber and Stoller. They were buying up music publishing and the rights to the Bethlehem catalog came with one of the deals. They had no interest in the catalog and for a minute I was negotiating to buy the Nichols master. Multiple searches were made for the tapes at the time with no results. While all this was going on, the entire catalog was purchased by the Cayre brothers, aka Salsoul Records.