The Complete 1956-1964 Modern Jazz Quartet Atlantic Studio Recordings

crisp

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW - the German Jazzline label released CD and LP versions of two 1957 and 159 concerts of the MJQ in Cologne and Bonn, respectively - sound seems to be excellent, as they had access to the original tapes of the WDR broadcasting company:

4049774770067.jpg

4049774770012.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

Got a US site I can order this from? Thanks.

FWIW - the German Jazzline label released CD and LP versions of two 1957 and 159 concerts of the MJQ in Cologne and Bonn, respectively - sound seems to be excellent, as they had access to the original tapes of the WDR broadcasting company:

4049774770067.jpg

4049774770012.jpg

A few days ago I saw a Paul Motian "Tribute to the MJQ" band at the Village Vanguard. Motian, Steve Nelson, Craig Taborn, and Thomas Morgan on bass. As you could guess, it was not a slavish imitation. ;) It was like the MJQ in a funhouse mirror. And it was good!

That sounds good! Any recordings due?

I've never been a big fan of Taborn's going back to his days with James Carter. He seems to be highly in demand these days, though.

A few days ago I saw a Paul Motian "Tribute to the MJQ" band at the Village Vanguard. Motian, Steve Nelson, Craig Taborn, and Thomas Morgan on bass. As you could guess, it was not a slavish imitation. ;) It was like the MJQ in a funhouse mirror. And it was good!

Read about this in the Times. Sounds fantastic:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/arts/music/paul-motian-quartets-tribute-to-modern-jazz-quartet-review.html

This is why Ratliff is one of my very favorite jazz writers; how perfect is this description of the MJQ sound?: "diaphanous, concise, glassy with blue streaks"

Are you sure about the access part?

I was disappointed by the Coltrane release which still has the fake applause in... which suggests that either they didn't go back to the original tapes, those tapes were lost, they used a later generation tape, or they don't have access but are another shady enterprise (operating of course anyway within the 50 years limit).

The MJQ release leaves me underwhelmed; however, the Getz release gets my attention, not for Getz himself (plenty of Getz about, one would think), but because Mosaic apparently is going back to vinyl--at least on some releases. Mosaic abandoned the vinyl market just as the vinyl revival (some of us never left) heated up. Apparently, they've caught on and the vinyl Getz is one result. The only fly in the ointment is the $25 per LP price tag. I seem to recall they used to run about $15 per LP.

Well Leeway, a few years ago the MJQ release would have left me underwhelmed. For years Kay's drumming had been a stumbling block to my appreciation of their work, and I also didn't see deeply enough beyond the "chamber jazz" tag. Now I'm very happy to be enjoying their work.

Glad I haven't gone back to vinyl as the availability of clean vintage jazz vinyl here is really bad, and the price for new is very off-putting. The Getz material though is very good, and well put together in its digital counterpart (one tune placed erroneously excepted).

So far, I think McMaster has done a good job with the transfers and mastering here. "Porgy and Bess" sounds clearly better than its other cd incarnation for example.

Well Leeway, a few years ago the MJQ release would have left me underwhelmed. For years Kay's drumming had been a stumbling block to my appreciation of their work, and I also didn't see deeply enough beyond the "chamber jazz" tag. Now I'm very happy to be enjoying their work.

Glad I haven't gone back to vinyl as the availability of clean vintage jazz vinyl here is really bad, and the price for new is very off-putting. The Getz material though is very good, and well put together in its digital counterpart (one tune placed erroneously excepted).

So far, I think McMaster has done a good job with the transfers and mastering here. "Porgy and Bess" sounds clearly better than its other cd incarnation for example.

It's enjoyable enough but not to the tune of 7 CDs of it (at least for me). Plus, I always thought that Mosaic was about bringing under-appreciated or difficult to locate music to the attention of the public. This hardly describes the MJQ. Plus there have been already a fair number of MJQ box sets and repackagings, so the Mosaic is hardly critical. As for the vinyl, as I think I indicated, I'm glad to see it coming back, but I hope $25 per LP is not going to be the going rate. It's a bit steep. BTW, have you checked out the Austin record show? I'm told it's one of the largest in the world. Hope to check it out myself one of these days.

I've been to the Austin Record Convention nearly every time it's appeared in the last decade. It's becoming less and less of an important event each time, sad to say. . . .

I can definitely understand being very interested in vinyl, I'm just not. I find that it's a rare system that can be set up for easy and optimal use for both digital and vinyl, and I have so much digital that I've moved my system to optimize that. I think I now have over 15,000 cd discs. I'm committed to digital.

It's interesting that I've heard several different people explain what Mosaic is about. From this page there are these statements from Cuscuna himself: http://www.mosaicrecords.com/story.asp

"I wanted to do definitive, complete box sets that would bring out unissued material, correct mistakes on past reissues and draw a whole body of work together with a serious, deluxe, booklet."

"As serious collectors and lovers of the music, Charlie (Charles Lourie) and I hope to assemble packages that all collectors and serious students of jazz will find valuable. That is one reason why we strive to make every set complete within its own scope. This not only brings unissued material to light, but eliminates the need the have music stretched over scattered albums of varying quality in an incoherent form that makes intelligent listening difficult. The Mulligan set is a classic example. In order to have the 49 issued from our set, one would have to own 10 different albums, most of them very rare and many having duplication of tunes."

I think both of these quotes show that the MJQ set falls right in line with Mosaic's aims. I like MJQ more than you, I get it, and we all have different tastes and wants. However I think this set IS a boon to jazz collectors. Though there has been an MJQ box set, this Atlantic material has never been assembled this way.

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 weeks later...