ebay madness re: vinyl

Jeez, at least there are no bids!

$1,000 for this?

Q: please can you supply track listing. does VG, has feelable hairline about 1/2 inch, other surface marks mean the lp is scratched? thanks Sep-05-08

A: the record is as described in the listing.Max Roach didn't like the album and he had them destroyed that is why it is so rare.It plays all the way through.If it doen't sell.I'll put it back in my cabinet where it has been for years.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder who the seller 'bluenotesound' is - Michael Cuscuna? A few ultra-low number Mosaics listed at the moment, with this Jimmy Smith box currently sitting at $900. :rolleyes:

http://tinyurl.com/62za5o

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day looking at bluenotesound's items!! Whoever it is just sold a bunch of Anthony Braxton Arista LPs... That is an absurd price for the Jimmy Smith set, btw.

Too bad he can't list a small number of items (OOP Mosaics or King JPN BNs) for sale at the site where the largest concentration of jazz fans who keep Mosaic in business happens to roost.

Yes, I know....life ain't all about charity and tossing the crowd a bone or two --- no reprimands necessary.

..still, were I in his shoes, I'd probably consider doing that.

I don't understand why these never played perfect condition extremely low number OOP vinyl sets weren't sold by him already before they went out of print? Did the license presumably run out and it was a time issue rather than the number of sets running out? You can praise him for being the best seller on ebay and all, but isn't this kind of sketchy to have held on to these and auction them at ebay years later? I suppose he could have actually bought them himself in the first place, but he didn't even play them...

I don't understand why these never played perfect condition extremely low number OOP vinyl sets weren't sold by him already before they went out of print? Did the license presumably run out and it was a time issue rather than the number of sets running out? You can praise him for being the best seller on ebay and all, but isn't this kind of sketchy to have held on to these and auction them at ebay years later? I suppose he could have actually bought them himself in the first place, but he didn't even play them...

From watching the items that he has listed for the past year I would say that MC is selling stuff from his personal collection not overstock. I think he's doing a lot of spring cleaning and (for whatever reason) has decided to get rid of stuff that he either never listens to any more or has never listened to at all. He's been in the biz for over 40 years I'm sure his house is overflowing w/ all kinds of swag.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Damn!

I discover this just after the bastards at Wall Street butchered my billions.

:g

Price of Blue Note vinyl stock went through the floor too, as well as AIG, HBOS, Lehman etc.?

Don't think so: I was watching at an auction for Rollins' 'Plays For Byrd', Prestige 50th NY label and it went over 400 $

• 2 weeks later...

... and those oxxbridge gallery ebay prices are definitely absurd.

I completely agree. Lots of 10" records - which are not even that collectable - for absurd "Buy It Now" prices.

The records they offer don't seem to sell in large quantities. However they try again and again...

This is pretty funny--from the weekly newsletter of Bloomington record store Landlocked Music, titled "How to Invest Wisely":

I hate to say I told you so... but if you had been investing in vinyl (or heck, even CDs) instead of the stoopid stock market, you'd be a much happier camper today. Newspapers keep telling us that vinyl is surging, but in our mind it's never halted. Time to merge into traffic and join the mass of us already in "the know" - you can't wrap your arms around a download, you can't pawn it for lunch money and nobody is impressed with your mp3 collection, dude. Join the kool klub!
Edited by ghost of miles

This is pretty funny--from the weekly newsletter of Bloomington record store Landlocked Music, titled "How to Invest Wisely":

I hate to say I told you so... but if you had been investing in vinyl (or heck, even CDs) instead of the stoopid stock market, you'd be a much happier camper today. Newspapers keep telling us that vinyl is surging, but in our mind it's never halted. Time to merge into traffic and join the mass of us already in "the know" - you can't wrap your arms around a download, you can't pawn it for lunch money and nobody is impressed with your mp3 collection, dude. Join the kool klub!

So Blue Note beats the credit crunch then? :rolleyes: :rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

I love this part.

:rofl:

• 3 weeks later...