Lance Armstrong retires

Well, it was clear after the 2010 Tour that this would be the only logical next step.

I'm sure he'll continue to race mountain bikes, marathons, and single-day events. Can't imagine the competitive bug being completely quashed. And I sincerely believe that yes, he is indeed one of the greatest athletes of our time. Asshole, yes; doper, probably; but that doesn't negate his awesome achievements in sport.

...and "Louis" is father to both of you?

No one ever asks if I'm related to Louis! I do enjoy sharing his birthday (and Obama's as well).

Back in the 'eighties I would occasionally be asked if I were related to Neil Armstrong, especially when it is learned I'm from Ohio.

As for Lance, his flame is slowly diminishing here in Austin, where he should be top dog hot shit. It started fading with the Sheryl Crow thing. . . .

...and "Louis" is father to both of you?

No one ever asks if I'm related to Louis! I do enjoy sharing his birthday (and Obama's as well).

Back in the 'eighties I would occasionally be asked if I were related to Neil Armstrong, especially when it is learned I'm from Ohio.

As for Lance, his flame is slowly diminishing here in Austin, where he should be top dog hot shit. It started fading with the Sheryl Crow thing. . . .

No one asks if I'm related to anyone famous. Heck, I'm just famous myself. :rolleyes:

...doper, probably; but that doesn't negate his awesome achievements in sport.

Huh?

I will always maintain that doping does NOT make one go from mediocre shlub to star athlete. It may give an "edge" but the training, strategy, and physiology that make a star athlete are still there in spades. Most people do not understand that, and think that the drugs "make one better." In most cases, they artificially ease recovery or perhaps sharpen one's reflexes for a short amount of time. That's the extent of systematic performance enhancement. As a former amateur cat 3 roadie, using drugs wasn't going to make me a Tour winner. Dig?

...doper, probably; but that doesn't negate his awesome achievements in sport.

Huh?

I will always maintain that doping does NOT make one go from mediocre shlub to star athlete. It may give an "edge" but the training, strategy, and physiology that make a star athlete are still there in spades. Most people do not understand that, and think that the drugs "make one better." In most cases, they artificially ease recovery or perhaps sharpen one's reflexes for a short amount of time. That's the extent of systematic performance enhancement. As a former amateur cat 3 roadie, using drugs wasn't going to make me a Tour winner. Dig?

If I follow your line of reasoning, then what Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa did is OK with you because they were already good athletes. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't have to agree with it. Dig?

He should have remained in retirement back in 2005...

I won't miss him at all. A great champion, yes! But one whose career was so tainted!

I miss the Coppis, Merckxs, Anquetils, and their likes, the ones who added panache to their victories.

Wise words, Brownie.

Armstrong (and Ulrich from Germany too - and others) did a good deal to push pro cycling towards its grave, and Contador and his ilk finally did the sport in really good. If it still rears its head then only because there is so much at stake for all the sponsors, bigwigs and string pullers that they still keep milking a deadbound cow. To the disgrace of ANYTHing even remotely resembling real values in this sport (unless you call systematic cheating a real "value").

In short, nothing to be proud of, not even on the part of Armstrong.

He should have remained in retirement back in 2005...

I won't miss him at all. A great champion, yes! But one whose career was so tainted!

I miss the Copis, Merckxs, Anquetils, and their likes, the ones who added panache to their victories.

I agree. And I'd guess Armstrong is only retired until he decides to un-retire again, in 2 yrs or so. Once the spotlight is off of him enough and he craves more.

P.S. - Jazzbo: If I were you, I'd say I was Lance's brother - might get better seats at restaurants, shows, etc!

I'd rather watch hamsters running on a wheel. Mind you, I'm not knocking cycling as a participation thing; that would be silly since I'm on my bike any day there's no snow on the ground or heavy rain. I just can't stand watching it any longer than I'd watch bowling.

Just between us, I wouldn't disagree. I tried to and failed to make a career of bicycle road racing, and continued to ride competitively until my body failed. So I've considerable appreciation for the intricacies of the sport, as well as the physical and mental difficulties cruelties. But to watch it? :mellow:

• 3 months later...