The Chuck Wayne Papers

brownie

LC will eventually catalog this, but it could take years.

IJS is very limited in staff. I don't know when they'd get around to organizing it. On the plus side, they would probably let a serious researcher look at the material even before it is cataloged. LC will not let anyone touch it until it is 'processed'.

I wonder if there is some sort of lead sheet for 'Solar' in this collection, since allegedly he is the real composer.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

• 1 year later...

Finally got the Flash player to work...yep, that's "Solar".

But "Solar" is not based on "How High the Moon Changes". Never has been, and never will be.

To perpetrate the lie that it is, now that's some Bixing for ya'!

I thought it was long established that Wayne wrote "Solar," no? Or is this is this actually the first documentary evidence that literally proves it? If so, very cool.

"Solar" is a 12-bar form; "How High the Moon" is a 16-bar (+16) form and the changes diverge enough that "Solar" shouldn't be thought of as a contrafact of "HHtM." Yet there is a similarity in the harmony starting in bar three where both move (one bar each) G-7/C7/F/F/F-7/B-flat7/E-flat that definitely leaves the scent of HHtM even though the tunes are in different keys and ultimately begin and end in different places. It would not surprise me if "HHtM," a tune as familiar as the blues or "Rhythm" in that era, entered Wayne's mind when he was creating that part of "Solar." Would love to know if there's any hard evidence of how concsious or unconscious the reference might be.

Coda: As Ethan Iverson pointed out on Twitter today, Wayne plays the opening chord as major while Miles played in minor -- actually minor with a major 7th, an exotic sound in 1954. Certainly that's one reason the tune proved alluring to musicians. Also, the truncated form is interesting -- 12 bars but not a blues, though I suppose it kinda winks at the blues in an oblique way, going to IV major in the fifth bar. But it's a quirky, circular form.

Coda 2: Why do we pronounce the title "So-lar" rhyming with "bar" rather than "Solar" as in "solar system," rhyming with "her"? Seriously, when the hell did that start?

Edited by Mark Stryker

It would not surprise me if "HHtM," a tune as familiar as the blues or "Rhythm" in that era, didn't not enter Wayne's mind when he was creating that part of "Solar."

Now that I can go for. But the ongoing lie that "Solar" "is based on" "How High The Moon" instead of it...shall we say, being evocative of it has been around so long that it's taken on the province of a Newtonian Fact.

Then again, we seem to like our Newtonian Physics in jazz these days...it's so much easier! :g

I've upgraded my Flash player and the sample still won't play. What's up with that?

I don't know. It plays OK for me :mellow:

F

thanks for posting this link, the clip sounded great, it would be nice to hear the whole thing, wonder if we ever will