JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to spoil the ending for myself - but was it those guys in the background with guns who did it?

The album cover is a composite of these two newsphotos (the images were retouched):

kent_state_massacre.jpg?w=584

That's one of the four students killed in the firing.

01aaa-kent-guardsmen.jpg

These are members of the Ohio National Guardsmen who fired shots that day!

DSC05160.JPG

I really liked this album. Exceptional? Can't say, but this is well above average, to my ears.

Yeah, received the Claire Fischer in the mail. Very nice, but NOT exceptional, IMO. The Little Bird Suite is better. But thanks for making the Fischer available!

Edited by Stefan Wood

Stefan, Thanks buddy. I know it is not everyone's cup of tea. I was ready for that. Two critics have told me it was a work of genius and another thought it was only good. Do me a favor. Listen to track two and three and really focus in on them. Track two, Quiet Dawn, to me is a blow away. Brilliant arrangement. See what you think after several listens to that track and then let me know if it grew on you or not. I grew on me years ago and each time I listen I like it more. But that's me. But do let me know. Thanks.

Stefan, Thanks buddy. I know it is not everyone's cup of tea. I was ready for that. Two critics have told me it was a work of genius and another thought it was only good. Do me a favor. Listen to track two and three and really focus in on them. Track two, Quiet Dawn, to me is a blow away. Brilliant arrangement. See what you think after several listens to that track and then let me know if it grew on you or not. I grew on me years ago and each time I listen I like it more. But that's me. But do let me know. Thanks.

It is definitely his best album, but I am not a big fan of his work. I will revisit the tracks you mentioned, as there were a couple of interesting tunes. Overall it felt low key.

..... or watching pollen accumulate on a car.

Really, I'm glad this is available. Some of my disappointment comes from expectations set from the prior releases from JLH. This is definitely different.

Well at least you feel able to say you are disappointed. In fairness, JLH's hype did include a disclaimer that this might not work for everyone.

I just did a huge post for all of you but of course lost it all never to be found again. I'm terrible with the blog for which I apologize. I'll try and summarize. I've lost my flow and rhythm but here goes. Stefan, I'm listening to Little Bird Suite. it makes an excellent contrast to the Fischer. Listen to track one of Little Bird and you'll see the voicing are not that original. They are good. But not brilliant. Listen to side II track one, Little Bird. The voicings are actually hackneyed. And track II side one, Bird of Paradise is very similar to Sketches of Spain. So are the voicings on Side II Track II Canto de Oriole. Very much like Evans. Whereas listen to the flute voicings of Fischer and compare with Dick Grove's work on Bird of Paradise. They aren't in the same league. I wish they were. Do you know how badly I'd love to release Little Bird Suite? It would be perfect because it gives me another reissue and I have a great line into EMI. But it is not a great album. It is very good. But too many cliches. I listened to it the first time and thought it was great. But the more I listen the more I hear from other composers and some of it like on Little Bird is downright cliched. Same with Track III of Side two, Doodad. Not original voicing and harmonizing at all. But a very good album and nice playing. Then I listen to Fischer and it is from another world, Clare's. So I do understand you liking the Little Bird Suite and that is an aesthetic reaction and choice. But objectively, they aren't in the same league. And again, I wish they were for my reissue program. Anyway, Stefan see how the Fischer grows or doesn't grow on you. But if you objectively listen to the Fischer than go to track one Side II of Grove's album, I think you'll see what I mean objectively (not aesthetically). Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by JLH

Great line into EMI? Then how about this one:

65994574.jpg

Your comments on Fischer are much appreciated. I don't know Fischer well yet (actually all I have is the Pacific Trios from the Mosaic Select - I enjoy those a whole lot) but you certainly make me want to check out your reissue very soon!

The Washington is very good. . .but it's been reissued twice in Japan, and I have a copy of each reissue, as do quite a few jazz fans. If it were coupled with the best tracks from the "unissued session" (commonly called the "Trainwreck") that would make a great reissue, but I really seriously doubt that would be possible. . . .

I just did a huge post for all of you but of course lost it all never to be found again. I'm terrible with the blog for which I apologize. I'll try and summarize. I've lost my flow and rhythm but here goes. Stefan, I'm listening to Little Bird Suite. it makes an excellent contrast to the Fischer. Listen to track one of Little Bird and you'll see the voicing are not that original. They are good. But not brilliant. Listen to side II track one, Little Bird. The voicings are actually hackneyed. And track II side one, Bird of Paradise is very similar to Sketches of Spain. So are the voicings on Side II Track II Canto de Oriole. Very much like Evans. Whereas listen to the flute voicings of Fischer and compare with Dick Grove's work on Bird of Paradise. They aren't in the same league. I wish they were. Do you know how badly I'd love to release Little Bird Suite? It would be perfect because it gives me another reissue and I have a great line into EMI. But it is not a great album. It is very good. But too many cliches. I listened to it the first time and thought it was great. But the more I listen the more I hear from other composers and some of it like on Little Bird is downright cliched. Same with Track III of Side two, Doodad. Not original voicing and harmonizing at all. But a very good album and nice playing. Then I listen to Fischer and it is from another world, Clare's. So I do understand you liking the Little Bird Suite and that is an aesthetic reaction and choice. But objectively, they aren't in the same league. And again, I wish they were for my reissue program. Anyway, Stefan see how the Fischer grows or doesn't grow on you. But if you objectively listen to the Fischer than go to track one Side II of Grove's album, I think you'll see what I mean objectively (not aesthetically). Hope this helps a bit.

I brought the cd with me to work to listen. I have the lp of the Dick Grove (made a burn onto cd a while ago, can't find it at the moment -- must be in the "archives."). I promise to provide a more detailed response. I really like "Igor." There's a lot going on in that piece. As for the rest? I'll let you know, but what crept into my mind was that this music was very similar to what Shorty Rogers had done with his extended "exotic" suites, or Les Baxter, Frank Comstock, etc. That's not a put down. Fischer obviously has come from a different angle, but how much different?