JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

I answered the query the other day on the latest but somehow I don't see my answer here. Next on the line up is Jeremy Steig Flute Fever. I just transferred it at Sony in NYC and it sounds wonderful. And the songs won't be heavily edited as had to be done for the vinyl. Sound is far far better than the vinyl. Somehow in going from three track masters to two track to vinyl they lost a lot of the excitement and warmth. Anyway, that is next. I am also currently reprinting Dogon A.D. which sold out and I've had too much request for it. So reprinting that. Next will be the Flying Dutchman material -- Carter Bradford and Giant Awakens.

Thanks for that Jonathan.

Look forward to hearing the Jeremy Steig when you release it.....and the Carter/Bradford, of course.

.....and good to hear that Dogon A.D. appears to have been a commercial, as well as an artistic success.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just received an email from James Harrod (Pacific Jazz afficonado)

who comments on "Extension"

Yes. I acquired this new release. I am puzzled why the percussion accent (sounds like a drum stick hitting a snare rim) on CANTO AFRICANO was deleted in this new transfer. It is quite prominent on the original vinyl and Fischer CD reissue (right channel) of a few years ago. Have there been any comments online about this?

Jonathan, can you shed any light on this?

Also, what do you think of rereleasing Charles Brackeen's "Rhythm X" - can you get access to Strata East material

Edited by romualdo

The comments by Holy Ghost and David Ayers are exactly the thinking I went through back and forth and back and forth (the only time in all my reissue work I have ever had a hard time deciding). Again, I can't even justify the decision to myself. I just finally picked the Arista for several reasons one of which David expresses. I think by having the Mbari cover as an insert we obviate much of the negative side of not having it as the primary cover. Again, sorry to those who prefer the Mbari cover. However, I think you'll be pleased with the overall production and reissue.

What you might want to consider is having the Mbari cover on the inside fold of the cd cover so that one could "fold" the cover inside out and have the Mbari cover showing instead of the Arista/Freedom cover. I did that with a Monk reissue on Columbia.

Coincidently I found a vinyl copy of 'Coon Bid'ness recently in Berkeley. When I took it to the counter with my other purchases the guy ringing up my finds stopped for a moment when he came to that one and told me he was glad I found that copy

in the store.

I see Chuck's post now in between editing so never mind on the cover thing.

Edited by six string

The comments by Holy Ghost and David Ayers are exactly the thinking I went through back and forth and back and forth (the only time in all my reissue work I have ever had a hard time deciding). Again, I can't even justify the decision to myself. I just finally picked the Arista for several reasons one of which David expresses. I think by having the Mbari cover as an insert we obviate much of the negative side of not having it as the primary cover. Again, sorry to those who prefer the Mbari cover. However, I think you'll be pleased with the overall production and reissue.

What you might want to consider is having the Mbari cover on the inside fold of the cd cover so that one could "fold" the cover inside out and have the Mbari cover showing instead of the Arista/Freedom cover. I did that with a Monk reissue on Columbia.

Done and gone. Buy a copy and check it out. The disc sounds fantastic.

Romualdo, thank you for bringing my attention to this missing edit in Fischer's Extension. I am looking into this and going to check it with Brent Fischer, Clare's son. But what rarely happens, but happened here, is someone made an edit in the two track master just before going to vinyl and hence there is something on the vinyl that is not on the three track masters. This appears to be the case here. What I put out is an exact duplicate of the three track masters as recorded in the session or as edited. But apparently there was an edit afterwards. I'll check this further and see what I find. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for asking. Fine, but I will probably put out Flute Fever in 2013 on its 50th anniversary. So next should be Carter Bradford Self Determination Music. I made the transfers from analog to digital of the Flying Dutchman material of the two Carter Bradford vinyl performances and the Horace Tapscott The Giant Is Awakened.

Chuck, Thanks. Carter Bradford would be nice on one CD but my style is to create one CD to match each vinyl release so I tend to do one CD one release one artist performance. On Joe Daley no more progress. I'll probably do three CDs as there is enough material and put it all in a simple box or not and just sell the three CDS separately. Not sure but think the box idea will be better. Keep em all together. I have all the transfers done for my next many releases good for 1.5 years so now it is just a matter of gathering the finances to get them out. I don't need to travel anywhere anymore. Have them all in house now. And I did reprint Hemphill one last time so it will be available for at least a while so people can get it as many didn't get it when it sold out. I appreciate your suggestions and interest.

Thanks for asking. Fine, but I will probably put out Flute Fever in 2013 on its 50th anniversary. So next should be Carter Bradford Self Determination Music. I made the transfers from analog to digital of the Flying Dutchman material of the two Carter Bradford vinyl performances and the Horace Tapscott The Giant Is Awakened.

:D:P:)

• 5 weeks later...