Horace Silver Blue Note Reissue?

Indestructible!

Hi All,

Was just surfing AAJ, and noticed this thread:

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread....=&threadid=2947

It appears as though Horace Silver's United States of Mind Trilogy Set (3 albums) That Healin' Feelin', Total Response & All will be reissued by Blue Note later this year in their Connoisseur's Series (as a 2CD set).

I have the latter two albums on vinyl, and look forward to this release on CD. Some of it is pretty tough listening, but there's enough good stuff here to make me happy. Great song titles too........

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Shane

They need to be out for histroical reasons, definitely.

Musically, I'd rather see the "Silver 'N' X" series, I think there's more meat there, I think, but getting the USOM trilogy out on CD is a necessity, imo. It was a project near and dear to Horace, supposedly, and although I can guarantee that a lot of people won't like it, that's life. I've got mixed feelings about it myself, but bottom line - it's Horace.

And "Total Response" is one of the funkiest tunes BN ever released!

Silver'n'Brass

Silver'n'Wood

Silver'n'Percussion

Silver'n'Voices

Silver'n'Strings

Is that all of them? Did I forget Silver'n'Flubber? Silver'n'Turducken? :huh:

These sides were my introduction to Tom Harrell and Bob Berg in the 70s. I think I might have bought Silver'n'Brass originally because of Frank Rosolino's name on the personnel listing- at the time I wasn't hip to the other players (and as it turned out, Frank only played ensemble parts and didn't solo!). I'd love to see them available on CD, although I expect there are some tunes that may not have aged well, and there are some corny moments here and there, especially on the vocal stuff. I do like Wade Marcus' charts, and I sure love to play "Barbara" and "Dameron's Dance" when I get the chance. Great tunes. :)

If I'm not mistaken, these would be the very first Conn releases of any BN recordings from the 70's, correct??  I sure can't think of any other post-1969 Conns (though I'm not looking at a full list of Conns in order to be 100% sure).

Thinking Of Home!

Also 'Natural Spirit', the previously unreleased album that was added to the release of Lift Every Voice.

Thinking Of Home!!

Ah yes, I totally forgot about "Thinking of Home" being from 1970. And I always mentally relate "Lift Every Voice" with 1969, but I forget the second session is from 1970 too.

By the way, I just sent Michael Cuscuna an e-mail about all the Fall 2004 Conns (via the Mosaic "Feedback" page), and I asked him about the Andrew Hill "Chained" session too (the one that King was gonna release in Japan). No idea if he'll respond, but if he does - I'll be sure to let everyone know.

My only qualm with these disc is the vocals.

There are vocals a lot worse than these, and the groove is always right, some sure is funky. I like 'em, I'll probably get the Conn although I have the LPs.

Now let's see the Silver'N' series as a Mosaic Select, and we had 'em all.

By the way, I just sent Michael Cuscuna an e-mail about all the Fall 2004 Conns (via the Mosaic "Feedback" page), and I asked him about the Andrew Hill "Chained" session too (the one that King was gonna release in Japan).  No idea if he'll respond, but if he does - I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Looking forward to the reply! (If you get one.)

Remarkably there are no less than three unissued Andrew Hill sessions from 1967. They are all listed as unissued, not rejected, so they could come out one day.

Robin Kenyatta (as) Sam Rivers (ts, ss, fl) Andrew Hill (p) Cecil McBee (b) Teddy Robinson (d) Nadi Qamar (thumb p, African d, per)

VGS, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, February 10, 1967

Prevue

Yomo

I

Awake

Now

Andrew Hill (p, ss, org) Ron Carter (b) Teddy Robinson (d)

VGS, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, May 17, 1967

Nine at the Bottom

Nine at the Bottom (alt. Take)

Six at the Top

Chained

Moma

Absolution

Interfusion

Woody Shaw (tp) Robin Kenyatta (as) Sam Rivers (ts, ss) Howard Johnson (bars, tu) Andrew Hill (p) Herbie Lewis (b) Teddy Robinson (d)

VGS, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, October 31, 1967

Orba

Mother's Tale

Enamorado

For Blue People Only

Requiem for Truth

I just looked at the copyright deposits for these tunes the other day - even though the records didn't come up, most of them were still dutifully copyrighted.

One slight difference - the BN discography says 'Orba' but the copyright deposit says 'Oriba'.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I could have sworn that I saw a post earlier today mentioning that Mosaic is considering putting out the unissued 1967 sessions. If so, I wonder what the scope would be. A 2-CD set, although Mosaic hasn’t done such small sets in a long time? Perhaps a complete Andrew Hill 1967-1970 set? Or here’s something to dream about: ”The Complete Unissued And Rejected Blue Note Sessions”!

I hope I’m not causing any problems by mentioning that I saw the post, but I figure several others must have seen it too.

I could have sworn that I saw a post earlier today mentioning that Mosaic is considering putting out the unissued 1967 sessions. If so, I wonder what the scope would be. A 2-CD set, although Mosaic hasn’t done such small sets in a long time? Perhaps a complete Andrew Hill 1967-1970 set? Or here’s something to dream about: ”The Complete Unissued And Rejected Blue Note Sessions”!

I hope I’m not causing any problems by mentioning that I saw the post, but I figure several others must have seen it too.

Just started THIS THREAD about it.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

What?????? 

Where's the post???

I just did a search on "Andrew Hill Mosaic" and "Andrew Hill Select" - and I keep comming up with search results that look like dozens and dozens of thread totally unrelated to Andrew Hill - or Mosaic.

What's the deal???

Man, oh man, oh man. This would be the first Mosaic set I ever pre-ordered, if this really turns out to be true!!!

This was the post I replied to above, but now it has vanished too! What's happening?? :wacko:

What?????? 

Where's the post???

I just did a search on "Andrew Hill Mosaic" and "Andrew Hill Select" - and I keep comming up with search results that look like dozens and dozens of thread totally unrelated to Andrew Hill - or Mosaic.

What's the deal???

Man, oh man, oh man. This would be the first Mosaic set I ever pre-ordered, if this really turns out to be true!!!

This was the post I replied to above, but now it has vanished too! What's happening?? :wacko:

Don't fret. I just edited out all that stuff, and replaced it with "Just started THIS THREAD about it." instead.

But as far and the original "mystery" post goes, that wasn't me - and I have no idea why the person who posted it, presumably later deleted it.

OK, literally 2 minutes ago I got the following e-mail from Michael. And of all things, it answers the very question we've been wondering about for - what? - the last hour???

----- Original Message -----

To: <Rooster's e-mail address>

Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 5:14 PM

Subject: Re: Mosaic FeedBack regarding General Comments.

> Tom,

>

> Don't know the rest of the Connoisseurs yet, but probably the Booker Ervin

> with Woody will be among them.

>

> I am talking to Andrew [Hill] about gathering the rest of the unissued

> sessions into a Mosaic Select set at some point. They are uneven but

> all have their moments.

>

> Michael

>

Edited by Rooster_Ties