Running Low/Last Chance

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad I got mine 2 years agao. It is worth every dollar. Get it before it is gone. He was so underrated.

I was happy a year or so ago when I read his widow recieved 2 checks each for 50 thousand. Intel used one of Blue's tunes in a commercial. Too bad he never got to enjoy that 100k himself.

Edited by Jazz Groove

The Blue Mitchell set was one of my first and one of my favorites. There are some really great tunes - Fungii Mama (the tune used in the Intel commerical) and Good Humor Man - always gets the head bobbing.

It's a small enough set that I can put the whole thing in at the office and not be tired of it by the end of the day.

:tup:tup

Get this set.  Blue Mitchell - Junior Cook.  One of the great, underrated front lines.  This is a great set.

Junior Cook is reason enough to buy this set. :tup:tup:tup

Amen to that. Junior is so under recognized and underappreciated, it's pathetic.

Bought this one immediately upon seeing this thread. Thanks for the heads up, guys...(and a snide, tongue-in-cheek "Yeah, thanks a LOT..." from my bank account!). I've been meaning to pick this one up for a while now. Looking forward to hearing these albums as I am only familiar with Blue's work as a sideman.

I received an e-mail from Mosaic yesterday:

We have just added The Complete Blue Note Blue Mitchell Sessions (MD4-178) to our Running Low category. Blue Mitchell's warm, soulful trumpet is on display on the 6 albums in this 4-CD set including "Step Lightly" with Joe Henderson and Herbie Hancock; two classic albums, "The Thing To Do" and "Down With It!" with Junior Cook and Chick Corea; "Bring It Home To Me" with Junior Cook and Harold Mabern; "Boss Horn" showcasing a septet group with Julian Priester, Pepper Adams and Junior Cook and the arranging talents of Duke Pearson and "Heads Up!", featuring a ten-piece group.

One of my favorite Mosaic sets. :wub: Get it!!!

They're going faster folks. Another order placed!

Only 3 weeks ago I picked up my 1st Mosaic (the Hodges :wub: ) and now here I am ordering again! Now I see how the addiction takes off, especially as I thought the Django, no J.J. Johnson, no I mean..would be next.

I think I first heard Blue Mitchell through the few Horace Silver discs I have (that needs to be rectified.) As I recall I bought Song For My Father for Joe Henderson's appearance and when Mitchell & Cook's first number came on my ears perked up and I thought, "hmm, who are these guys? Huh, such cool sounding names too." I guess (as often happens) I got sidetracked in the pursuit of more Silver with Mitchell & Cook. I put on Blowin' The Blues Away last night and aside from wondering why I don't play Silver more often I knew I wanted to hear more Mitchell. This set ought to be perfect, and it'll be all new music for me.