Favorite Modern Big Bands

StarThrower

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont forget the Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Orchestra (who later became the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra). This band had its own unique style.

Caught them earlier, as "And let us not forget the Thad Jones - Mel Lewis band, and its later re-generations... "

Sorry Ted, I think I need another coffee this morning...

Well, I thought from the opening post bands like Gil Evans, Jones/Lewis etc weren't "modern" enough for what you're looking for... if that's not the case, add Gerry Mulligan's Concert Jazz Band. And add the Clarke-Boland Big Band!

Further worth mentioning are the various editions of Dizzy Gillespie's big bands (with the forties one being the most amazing, of course, but the 1956/57 and the 1968 ones were mighty fine as well).

And big :tup from me for the BoB of course!

Also for the previously mentioned ICP Orchestra and the Italian Instabile Orchestra - those two may well be the favourites among the currently performing ones! Brötzmann's Tentet as well!

And Michiel Braam's Bik Bent Braam is worth listening to as well!

Then there's Barry Guy's New Orchestra (and before his London Jazz Composer's Orchestra).

Further, Alexander von Schlippenbach & Globe Unity

George Gruntz with "The Band" (co-founded by him and Daniel Humair as well as Flavio and Franco Ambrosetti), later known as George Gruntz' Concert Jazz Band.

Then until recently, there was the Vienna Art Orchestra.

Has anyone mentioned the John Fedchock New York Big Band? I'm presently enjoying the album Up & Running on Resevoir Music. Any other fans???

Me too. That's a good one, maybe my favorite, but all 4 Fedchock NYBB CD's are worth hearing and owning. There's some good YouTube clips of Fechock's band, as well.

Has anyone mentioned the John Fedchock New York Big Band? I'm presently enjoying the album Up & Running on Resevoir Music. Any other fans???

Me too. That's a good one, maybe my favorite, but all 4 Fedchock NYBB CD's are worth hearing and owning. There's some good YouTube clips of Fechock's band, as well.

On the strength of the samples (and your recommendations, of course! :rolleyes: ), I've just ordered Up and Running.

I guess he never "led" a band in the traditional sense, but there are a couple of recordings by Gary McFarland that are pretty damn good, and contemporary: How To Succeed In Business... and the live recording Profiles. He was a wonderful writer, a bit of an adult prodigy because of his late start as a musician.

Lots to agree with here. Can I add Hans Koller (not the Austrian tenor player but German-born, London-based pianist/composer. Try

London Ear, with Steve Lacy (I think this was Steve's last recording, and he plays wonderfully; fascinating to hear him blowing on Filles de Killamanjaro and Warne Marsh's Marshmallow).

Cry, Want; Bill Frisell and Evan Parker play together (really) on a brilliant rethinking of the Jimmy Giuffre title tune.

Second the votes for Guillermo Klein and Darcy James Argue.

Some I'd add to the list, all recording currently...

James Hamilton Jazz Orchestra, which you can stream here...

Bancamp page

Thomas Barber's Janus Bloc, which you can stream here...

Artist site

Anat Cohen's orchestra, which you can stream here...

Bandcamp page

Emil Brandqvist Orkester, which you can hear a bit of here...

Myspace

Dave Chisholm, which you can stream here...

Artist site

I also like Steve Bernstein's MTO, which I can't seem to find streaming anywhere. I also like the Kamikaze Ground Crew (not a traditional big band, really), but I'm not sure if they're even recording anymore.

I can tell by looking at this list that I forgot a few, just can't remember what. I'll pop back on when I do.

Cheers.

Edited by Chicago Expat

Have any of you heard Fight The Big Bull with Steven Bernstein "All Is Gladness In The Kingdom" on Clean Feed?

Although it does not fit the description based on most of the big bands listed here, I think it is worth a mention.

Very worth the mention. It's not quite my thing, but I can say that about most of Clean Feed. My ears are in a different place these days, but there's no disputing that Clean Feed's release history is as strong as any label over the last couple years.