European Impulse! 2-on-1 CD reissues

J.A.W.

I like these series: they are cheap, they respect the original artwork and the sound is good. The only problem is the selection: some of them are very good, but with others they include a very good album with other avoidable (I am thinking in Pharoah Sanders or Albert Ayler).

About this new planning to release, I like Marion Brown, Alice Coltrane and Blue Mitchell. The Sonny criss set is awful, but Impulse archives didn't have any better release from him...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too... "Crisis" is GREAT, the other two are GOOD.

And there was more recorded from where "Crisis" came from, it seems (same with "Town Hall") - though to my knowledge, none of that is "in circulation". Would love to see it all reissued and expanded!

There were a couple of Ornette cuts, I think outtakes from the "Crisis" recordings, that came out in the early 70's on a great three LP sampler called "Impulse Energy Essentials". I picked that set up right when I was new to jazz, and it was my introduction to Ornette, Mingus, Pharoah Sanders, Oliver Nelson, Eric Dolphy, Max Roach and others.

51P2jmJ40zL._SS500_.jpg

There was a 45 issued at the time, not from the Crisis concert but studio tracks, one side called The man I the moon, I think. I'm guessing that's what's on the sampler. Nice tracks,particularly the one NOT called Man in the moon...

http://www.jazzdisco...an/discography/

Ornette Coleman Sextet

Don Cherry (cor) Ornette Coleman (as) Dewey Redman (ts) Charlie Haden (b) Ed Blackwell (d) Emanuel Ghent (electronic devices) NYC, July, 1969

91045Man On The Moon Impulse 45-275

91046Growing Up -

* Ornette Coleman - Man On The Moon b/w Growing Up (Impulse 45-275)

Never heard of this before....hmmmm.....

Edited by JSngry

Are you sure those were outtakes?

No, I think I got it backwards. I can remember the liner notes talking about two outtakes of some sort and "Trouble in The East", and the producer (Cuscuna ?) wanting to do it one way and Ornette wanting to do it the other way, so I think I reversed it in my memory (it's been 40 years). Does anyone have the album that they can look at the liner notes? Stephen Davis wrote them (I don't remember that, I looked it up on Google. Can't find producer credit the liner notes themselves out there).

The sound of the Curtis Fuller 2-fer is OK but not more. It is somewhat dark and muddy compared to the Original Impulse Stereo LP. A listener friend commented spontaneously about the difference the other day. Listenable of course, but Impulses can sound really great when done right on CD. Especially the japaneese K2 issues have been proven to have high SQ for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got the Marion Brown CD in this series , sounds quite interesting, thought about the Pharoah S but the samples dont get me excited , the Shepp sounds very much better. Any opinions re which of the Alice Coltrane CDs to go for first ??. I have nothing by her.

Re: Alice: go for ones not in this series first. :) Her Verve release, or Her Warner's discs, or the earlier Impulses that are out on earlier cds. THEN go for these if you are pleased. Just my two cents---I love all Alice.

Edited by jazzbo

Re: Alice: go for ones not in this series first. :) Her Verve release, or Her Warner's discs, or the earlier Impulses that are out on earlier cds. THEN go for these if you are pleased. Just my two cents---I love all Alice.

I agree with Lon's sentiment. One of the twofers contains "Huntington Ashram Monastery", which is one of the aforementioned early Impulse's. The very first Alice Coltrane album to get IMO would be "Ptah the El Daoud", which has Pharoah Sanders and Joe Henderson. The next ones would be "Journey in Satchidananda" (with Sanders), "Huntington Ashram Monastery", and "A Monastic Trio", the other early (pre-strings) Impulse! titles. Those titles have a lot of her piano and harp playing, After that come the Warner Bros. titles. "Transfiguration" (a live trio with Workman and Haynes) features a lot of her organ playing, as does the sidelong song that ends "Radha-Krsna Nama Sankirtana". Final recommendation would be her 2004 comeback on Verve/Impulse, "Translinear Light", with her son Ravi and others. She released many other albums, which delve into her string arrangements, vocal chants, etc. Those have their supporters, but I am not one. There are some samplers out on Impulse if you want to try it all at once.

I believe Huntington Ashram Monastery has only been on cd from Japan before this new two-fer? Anyway, I agree with your assessment though I must say that i LOVE the orchestrated works. And one cassette release I have that is religious chanting based as well.

Anyone considering purchasing The Marion Brown 2 for 1......it is INCOMPLETE.......it leaves out the part 2 of Sweet Earth Flying. CD time constraints.

Shit! I ordered it today.

Part 2 of Sweet Earth Flying has never been released - it was not on the original LP, although presumably it was recorded.