The Lee Morgan Memorial Concert

If you have read Jimmy Heath's autobiography, he talks about teaching at jazz mobile one Saturday morning when Lee Morgan walks in with a woman. He interrupts Jimmy's class and says, "Hey Jimmy, look at my new lady." Jimmy said he didn't like being interrupted, and also he knew Lee had a woman that he had been with for some time. Odd seeing him with another. That night, Lee was shot and killed at Slugs by the woman he was cheating on.

Anyone ever see or hear the performance Lee and his band did on the PBS show "Soul"? It was done just days before he died.

soul was -days- before he died?

Some info:

January 26, 1972 (to be posted)

‘The Blue Note Show’

Guests: Keyboardist Horace Silver with vocalists Andy and Salome Bey, trumpeter Lee Morgan, flutist Bobbi Humphrey

Host: Ellis Haizlip

SOUL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB7eL5tXNUI

Edited by marcello

Some info:

‘The Blue Note Show’

Guests: Keyboardist Horace Silver with vocalists Andy and Salome Bey, trumpeter Lee Morgan, flutist Bobbi Humphrey

SOUL

No way that's Horace Silver on piano. Looks more like Harold Mabern. Who's the saxophone player? Cool video.

Some info:

‘The Blue Note Show’

SOUL

No way that's Horace Silver on piano. Looks more like Harold Mabern. Who's the saxophone player? Cool video.

definitely Harold. sax might be George Harper?

sax might be George Harper?

You mean Bily Harper...

that's him on tenor!

thanks, i knews George didn't sound right. Billy Harper it is. he's still playing wonderfully these days and still looking good as well!

p.s. actually George Harper is a horn player here in L.A.!

Edited by ValerieB

Some info:

‘The Blue Note Show’

That clip definietly shows Lee Morgan's last band with Billy Harper, Harold Mabern, Jymie Merrit and Freddie Waits.

The "Guests" list must read that these three Blue Note artists performed with their respective groups, it seems.

Some info:

‘The Blue Note Show’

That clip definietly shows Lee Morgan's last band with Billy Harper, Harold Mabern, Jymie Merrit and Freddie Waits.

The "Guests" list must read that these three Blue Note artists performed with their respective groups, it seems.

Small point but Lee's playing flugel here. Definitely Mabern. And Billy Harper from the playing and the modal type tune, which is his thing. I'm not sure about Jymie Merritt, what he looks like, but he would be a little older looking by '72, I think. This guy reminded me of Arthur Harper, from Philly. Couldn't swear either way

Or Billy!

Horace & his group were also showcased on that same episode. Horace & Lee did not play together.

Not sure if this is a clip of Horace from that show...looks like it could be...

Good band. With Horace I pinned for sure: Bob Cranshaw, bass; Cecil Bridgewater, trumpet. Don't know the guitarist or the others. I'm a big fan of Andy Bey too, and I'll just say Horace can do no wrong.

Except when writing lyrics like these...........

Did Arthur Harper play the Ampeg Baby Bass?

Don't know and I'm not sure who it is. I just thought Jymie Merritt was an older (middle-aged) cat by this time. This guy looks pretty young, whoever it is.

Jymie was probably mid-40's at this time. guessing the trumpet was Jimmy Owens and the sax, maybe Harold Vick?!?

Did Arthur Harper play the Ampeg Baby Bass?

Don't know and I'm not sure who it is. I just thought Jymie Merritt was an older (middle-aged) cat by this time. This guy looks pretty young, whoever it is.

Jymie was probably mid-40's at this time. guessing the trumpet was Jimmy Owens and the sax, maybe Harold Vick?!?

It is Jymie Merritt.

Sadly I gather he isn't too well at the moment.