Who is the real composer of "My Little Suede Shoes?

Hardbopjazz

According to Brian Priestley's "Chasin' the Bird," "it's a song ["Mes Souliers De Daim"} from the French Caribbean that Charlie picked up in Paris."

My friend Philippe Baudoin wrote an article on this and the statement above is the gist of his findings. I believe it is in a fairly recent issue of Cahiers du Jazz. I will try to find out more from him. IIRC, Bird telescoped two tunes that were on the A and B sides of a 45 that Philippe found.

Lou told me it was Massey on two separate occasions, but I do think he is getting it mixed up with 'Fiesta'. Cal originally copyrighted 'Fiesta' on 11/09/49 (EU185571), but Bird did not record it until 3/12/51 (same day as 'Suede') so this piece existed before the Bird session. Could someone have recorded it elsewhere between 11/49 and 3/51? The copyright deposit has lyrics.

Here's something odd I just noticed.

There is a registration under Parker for 'My Little Suede Shoes' (EU 431254) dated 3/26/56. There is also a second registration for 'Fiesta' on the same day (EU431077). Someone from Verve must have sent in a whole stack that day: my hunch is that all numbers between 431077 and 431254 were all sent in together by the same person. I can check this in the books when I go back there in a month or so, if anyone cares.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

• 3 weeks later...