October 4, 2011: several Mosaics are running low

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless

The approach taken by lexicographers when documenting a word's uses and limitations can be prescriptive or descriptive. The method used with irregardless is overwhelmingly prescriptive. Much of the criticism comes from the double negative pairing of the prefix (ir-) and suffix (-less), which stands in contrast to the negative polarity exhibited by most standard varieties of English. Critics also use the argument that irregardless is not, or should not be, a word at all because it lacks the antecedents of a "bona fide nonstandard word." A counterexample is provided in ain't, which has an "ancient genealogy," at which scholars have not leveled such criticisms.[1]

So you see, I am just doing my part to perpeturalate the ongoing ancienicity of the ongoing lineage until enough time passes for it to be so.

Besides, a double negative = positivity, and I'm all about the positivity!

have-a-nice-day-smiley.jpg

And I don't need your condescension.

Now you know how it feels to be on the receiving end of condescension for a change, instead of handing it out.

Anyway, I'm not going to continue this petty fight. Bye.

Edited by J.A.W.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFHKquX-hYA

Wow.

Arf Weeder sane!

Never thought I'd see a Teutonic Inferiority Complex...

Teutonic?? Check your facts, another sad mistake. On second thoughts, never mind.

Facts checked and error removed during your post on this thread from which you were withdrawing.

You gonna play or not?

Edited by JSngry

Yeah, it's the one tune that really gets up there on the intensity level, mostly because of Oliver's solo.I always enjoy hearing Oliver play. His is the sound of veins throbbing on suit-wearing foreheads.

Also, if you know Russell's New York, New York, there's that interlude soloists between soloists on "Big City Blues". J.J. uses that whole thing verbatim here, and to great effect.

I,m trying to remember if Russell used it on his version of Stratusphunk as well, and which came first. But you'll know it when you hear it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any thoughts on the 'Liebman/Beirach' Select? Not taken the plunge on that one to date..

The quality is high since it is selected from so much material. But you might not like the actual musicians and style - I can't help you with that. If the customer comments at Mosaic tend to put you off I'd say go with that instinct. I'd also say that this isn't music I love, good as it is, and after a couple of listens I am not minded to spend much more time with it.

I bet "Jack Somer" is a pseudonym for Quincy Jones.

Met Jack Somer back in the day. Middle weight corporate record company guy with jazz as an interest IIRC. There were a bunch of those - they thought the "interest in jazz" would impress the suits above. As far as I know he did no harm and did some good.

If you have the money, I say go for the L/B. You get three settings: electric small group jazz, straight-ahead quartet and duo. I liked all three discs. A "three star" set but good to have on the shelf.

The Lieb/Beirach is very good in my opinion!

A very positive surprise.

Must admit that I didn't like it very much. The electric stuff was not my cup of jazz, so to speak, and didn't care much for the rest. To each their own :)

Edited by J.A.W.