Stash of old Jazz magazines rescued

I erroneously posted in Great Finds in the Vinyl section, deleted and moved. I picked up 50 issues of "Jazz" magazine from between 1962 and 1968 (seems they changed the name to Jazz and Pop in 1967 sometime) and 15 issues of the Jazz Review from 1959 to 1960, $40 for the lot. Had to tell someone.

Nice find ! I'm a sucker for those old magazines (at least the Brit equivalents) myself. Stick them in a binder and you can build up a good reference resource.

Same here (more or less, with an accent on European equivalents too). As for the reference resource, IMO reading up on jazz history can hardly ever be more fascinating than if you do your reading in those "period" mags. Jazz seen "as it was" and not always with the benefit of (a historian's predigested) hindsight can be quite instructive. I pull out my late 30s, 40s, 50s and early 60s copies of Orkester journalen and Estrad (Sweden) and Jazz Hot (France) as well as the 50s/early 60s copies of Jazz Podium (Germany) and Jazz Magazine (France) quite regularly and they are a mine of information indeed.

65 issues for $40 at any rate is a very good deal. Congrats!

I am an idiot, in connection with a divorce 27 years ago did I dispose (threw them out) of a complete 15 years DB collection because I had to move and had no space for it, but I still have ONE of the DB review compendidiums.

Space is the problem, I have hardly any space left to fill in new CD's and books.

Vic

Jazz magazine belonged to Bob Thiele? Pauline Rivelli was the Editor and Frank Kofsky a regular contributor. Of course this publication always favored such labels as Flying Dutchman and Red Baron, owned by Thiele. He sometimes married vocalists and recorded the hell out of them—how else would we have had "Theresa Brewer Sings Bessie Smith"? :)

A couple of years ago, I came across a bookstore with a couple hundred old magazines from my formative years (roughly the 1970s and early 1980s): Jazz Magazine, A Different Drummer, Jazz Now, Jazz Journal and a couple of others that survived only a year or two. (Names escape me; they're in storage) I hauled off a hundred or so - all I could carry. I even "re-published" a Chuck Nessa interview from one of them:

I erroneously posted in Great Finds in the Vinyl section, deleted and moved. I picked up 50 issues of "Jazz" magazine from between 1962 and 1968 (seems they changed the name to Jazz and Pop in 1967 sometime) and 15 issues of the Jazz Review from 1959 to 1960, $40 for the lot. Had to tell someone.

What a find! Jazz Review, as noted, is available online, but I'd love to have copies of the original magazine; it was truly an amazing journal. I think we've got "Jazz" here in the IU School of Music Library...seems I've dug up articles in it from time to time for Night Lights shows.

Jazz magazine belonged to Bob Thiele? Pauline Rivelli was the Editor and Frank Kofsky a regular contributor. Of course this publication always favored such labels as Flying Dutchman and Red Baron, owned by Thiele. He sometimes married vocalists and recorded the hell out of themhow else would we have had "Theresa Brewer Sings Bessie Smith"? :)

To be fair, Bob Thiele did a helluva lot more for the music than marrying singers and recording them.

Did anyone else produce records by Archie Shepp and Buddy Holly? :P

Edited by paul secor

• 4 months later...

BUMP--I'm getting ready to move in a few months, and I have a bunch of 3-ring binders holding old Down Beats starting in March 1980 and continuing with rare lacunae all the way to the present. My new space will be a bit smaller than my old one, and these need to go. Any ideas?? I'd be happy to donate them to a library if it wanted to pay the freight. Is Down Beat on-line? Is there any market for these things?

Yours in hopeless ignorance,

gregmo

Haven't moved them to DC yet (they're currently at my Dad's house near St. Louis), but I recently inherited about 20 complete years of Downbeats from my uncle, who passed away recently -- starting in April of 1965, through about the end of 1985.

Long story, but my Aunt (my Dad's sister) passed away fairly unexpectedly back in November, and a few months earlier had told her daughters that she'd "donated my Uncle's Downbeats" to the local library. Ouch!! It was a couple days before we/I found his stash of really old jazz mags, untouched (close to mint), all down in their basement on some shelves behind some large-format paintings of theirs (both my Aunt and Uncle were art history professors, and accomplished artists themselves). I'd always had designs on my Uncle's jazz collection (particularly those Downbeats), and I was really disappointed for a couple days until I discovered them -- and of course I let out of quite a vocal exclamation that could be heard through the entire house when I discovered them. (Turns out she'd only donated a couple years worth of issues all from the 90's.)

I should be bringing them all back to DC with me next month (thank goodness Southwest Airlines doesn't charge for baggage), and plan of reading through all 20 years of them over a the next year or so, or however long it takes. Luckily for me, they cover probably my very favorite decade of jazz history (1965-75), though my very strongest interests go back to '63. (So if I suddenly won the lottery, I suppose I'd be on a quest for a complete collection of DB's from the beginning of '63 through where my Uncle's collection starts up in April of '65.)

Haven't moved them to DC yet (they're currently at my Dad's house near St. Louis), but I recently inherited about 20 complete years of Downbeats from my uncle, who passed away recently -- starting in April of 1965, through about the end of 1985.

Long story, but my Aunt (my Dad's sister) passed away fairly unexpectedly back in November, and a few months earlier had told her daughters that she'd "donated my Uncle's Downbeats" to the local library. Ouch!! It was a couple days before we/I found his stash of really old jazz mags, untouched (close to mint), all down in their basement on some shelves behind some large-format paintings of theirs (both my Aunt and Uncle were art history professors, and accomplished artists themselves). I'd always had designs on my Uncle's jazz collection (particularly those Downbeats), and I was really disappointed for a couple days until I discovered them -- and of course I let out of quite a vocal exclamation that could be heard through the entire house when I discovered them. (Turns out she'd only donated a couple years worth of issues all from the 90's.)

I should be bringing them all back to DC with me next month (thank goodness Southwest Airlines doesn't charge for baggage), and plan of reading through all 20 years of them over a the next year or so, or however long it takes. Luckily for me, they cover probably my very favorite decade of jazz history (1965-75), though my very strongest interests go back to '63. (So if I suddenly won the lottery, I suppose I'd be on a quest for a complete collection of DB's from the beginning of '63 through where my Uncle's collection starts up in April of '65.)

Cool story! But...it doesn't exactly answer my question. Any ideas from anybody out there about this stash of 1980s, 1990s Down Beats I have?!

gregmo