new Project: the 1960s

AllenLowe

this is a ways off but I'm hoping, at some point, to do a 1960s music project that, while not all encompassing, covers rock and roll, jazz, and the (non-jazz) avant garde from that era (with some crossover like John Cale, Lamont Young, et al).

I would like to get suggestions; they can include 1959-1970. I will probably include the usual suspects, but would like, from this forum, people to suggest maybe what they think are the 5-10 essential jazz and avant gardists from that era.

thanks -

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In European improvised music, I really think of things as getting underway in the 1970s - though certainly Brotzmann, Wilen (who seemed to embrace "free jazz" around 1965-1966), Stevens, Schoof, von Schlippenbach, Tusques and others were on the scene before that.

Cage, sure. Funny, my mind usually thinks of his work tied to the 1940s and 1950s. With Reich, certainly he began his explorations in the 1960s but the 70s was really his "decade." Same with Glass. Maybe Riley too, though I know he was quite advanced with his work in the early '60s along with LaMonte and Terry Jennings.

Edited by clifford_thornton

this is a ways off but I'm hoping, at some point, to do a 1960s music project that, while not all encompassing, covers rock and roll, jazz, and the (non-jazz) avant garde from that era (with some crossover like John Cale, Lamont Young, et al).

I would like to get suggestions; they can include 1959-1970. I will probably include the usual suspects, but would like, from this forum, people to suggest maybe what they think are the 5-10 essential jazz and avant gardists from that era.

thanks -

Morton Feldman

Karheinz Stockhausen

John Cage

Luciano Berio

Cecil Taylor

Albert Ayler

Sun Ra

Ornette Coleman

Pierre Boulez

Elliot Carter

George Crumb

Terry Riley

LaMonte Young

Those are who I would call the usual suspects. If there is an avant garde of rock music, I guess it would be AMM. Rock is pretty much by definition a popular and commercial music. As a matter of fact, John Cage told me jazz is popular music. I hardly know what these labels mean any more other than what the person using them says they mean.

Edited by ATR

I've been contemplating whether to get these 6 3XCD sets from the Wergo label for some time now. This was the avant garde of the 60's. Everyone is pretty much represented.

http://www.jazzloft.com/p-50769-earle-brown-contemporary-sound-series-vol-1.aspx

I have all those on Time/Mainstream LPs and the music is great. Definitely worth picking up.

King Tubby - though maybe his full impact comes a couple of years late - but he indicates the impending rise of the engineer as an artist with the remix/version, which Tubby particularly was pioneering in '68 onwards...

Edited by cih