new Project: the 1960s

AllenLowe

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pan Afrikan People's Arkestra under Horace Tapscott, formed in LA in the early 1960s.

http://www.myspace.com/panafrikanpeoplesarkestra

And the Sun Ra Arkestra.

And other "collectives."

It seems to me you can trace notions of freedom in music to political developments as one thematic line. But then I would also look at more traditional folk music, and the changing economic times that led to the dearth of gigs for R&B and traditional jazz performers in the late 1960s and 1970s. The nature of political songs. Is a political song like Archie Shepp's work in that period actually effective in any way? It's not a folk song in one way (you can't have people singing it while protesting) but it is inspired by and perhaps does engender forms of anger or revolt.

But did anyone ever start a riot while listening to jazz?

I think the link mentioned above to the revolutions (and non-revolutions) of 1968 is important.

Is a political song like Archie Shepp's work in that period actually effective in any way? It's not a folk song in one way (you can't have people singing it while protesting) but it is inspired by and perhaps does engender forms of anger or revolt.

But did anyone ever start a riot while listening to jazz?

Dave Burrell played a solo concert at a local college here (Bryn Mawr I think, could have been Rosemont or Haverford) several years ago, and had a Q&A afterwards. I asked him if he had any interesting stories of his time with Archie Shepp, and he told about a riot starting during one of their concerts in France due to pro- and anti- Communist factions in the audience. I forget the exact details.

How about Chris McGregor, the Brotherhood of Breath?

Although a version did exist in the 1960s, I'd argue they were really a band of the 1970s...the first record was 1971, off the top of my head...

Now the Blue Notes...:)

which was my next proposition... I see these as kind of a continuum... McGregor, Dudu, Feza, Dyani, Miller, Moholo... it might be very true though that in the 60s they were mostly still struggling and marginalized, while in the 70s they played more often and - probably the two went hand-in-hand - more european (british) musicians joined the ranks... "Very Urgent" and "Up to Earth" are the McGregor albums to consider, "Blue Notes Legacy - Live in South Africa" and some other early stuff by the Blue Notes, then, too... there'd be more from South Africa, of course!