Stan Getz

sal

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bev, How do you feel about the releases coming from Europe of live material from the sixties and beyond (not in the "fifty year copywrite" period) or the material that is legal to sell in Europe and not within the US? It would be interesting to hear your perspective.

I confess that I've bought a few lately, one of the band with Burton and one of the band with Corea and Williams. This is material I would buy again in an "official", endorsed edition, indeed.

I also have the date with Corea and Williams and it is outstanding. Im a big fan of Sweet Rain and Captain Marvel, my two favorite Getz recordings and I consider them to be two of the greatest jazz albums ever made. That live gig is fantastic.

Im listening to Stan Getz final concert recording: 1990 at the Munich Phillarmonic Hall on Eagle Jazz. Is this really the his last concert? Did he record anything in the studio after this date?

It was his last concert. He went to Paris in March, '91 for one more, but had to cancel as he was too ill. As Denis said, he did do two recordings, 3 months before he died. One was with Abby Lincoln - "Ya Gotta Pay The Band" & the live at Montmartre - duo with Kenny Barron, "People Time". This one is really special, as it was his 'swan song'. I couldn't listen to it for years as you can hear that his breathing is a little labored because of his health. But now I really love it. The connection that he and Kenny had was quite something. They really 'spoke' to each other.

Thanks. I'll play People Time today. :tup

I see that Bev Getz has off-handedly commented on a couple of Stan's recordings. If she were willing to indulge us, I'd be curious to know what she thought her favorite 5 (or 10?) Stan Getz recordings are and any thoughts or experiences she might be willing to share on each. I currently have 29 discs worth of Getz and even though I've started limiting my new CD purchases to artists I don't yet have or those I have little of, Getz is one artist I wouldn't close the door on yet.

I've always liked this one more than the usual from this period:

getz%20at%20large.JPG

Gerry Teekens got my copy for mucho bucks. <_<

Never seen that one in LP form. Must be rare as hen's teeth.

Still have my copy. As I recall, pianist Jan Johannson is in fine form on the album. You can hear Johannson with Getz on this YouTube clip from 1960 with Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen:

Johannson died in a car crash in 1968, much too young.

I've always liked this one more than the usual from this period:

getz%20at%20large.JPG

Gerry Teekens got my copy for mucho bucks. <_<

Never seen that one in LP form. Must be rare as hen's teeth.

I had a high school buddy who found a copy in somebody's garage. I taped it off of him. That's the only vinyl copy I've ever seen. Why, I don't know. Maybe not everybody likes to recognize the tune.

Bev, How do you feel about the releases coming from Europe of live material from the sixties and beyond (not in the "fifty year copywrite" period) or the material that is legal to sell in Europe and not within the US? It would be interesting to hear your perspective.

I confess that I've bought a few lately, one of the band with Burton and one of the band with Corea and Williams. This is material I would buy again in an "official", endorsed edition, indeed.

I feel like... It is what it is. :rolleyes:

The only real objection I have is on many of these CD's, the sound quality. Some are so bad, I can't listen to them.

I see that Bev Getz has off-handedly commented on a couple of Stan's recordings. If she were willing to indulge us, I'd be curious to know what she thought her favorite 5 (or 10?) Stan Getz recordings are and any thoughts or experiences she might be willing to share on each. I currently have 29 discs worth of Getz and even though I've started limiting my new CD purchases to artists I don't yet have or those I have little of, Getz is one artist I wouldn't close the door on yet.

Focus

Mickey One

Serenity

Anniversary

People Time

Stan Getz & The Oscar Peterson Trio

Stan Getz & J.J. Johnson at the Opera House

Getz Meets Mulligan

Change of Scenes

Sweet Rain

West Coast Jazz

Stan Getz at the Shrine

Capatain Marvel

Pure Getz

Poetry

Nobody Else But Me

The Steamer

My Foolish Heart - Live at the Left Bank

Bob Brookmeyer and Friends

The Roost Sessions

Stan Getz The Bossa Nova Albums (boxed set)

Oops! That's more than 5 or 10... just started typing. But these are my favorites.

No time to comment on all...but at the top of my list would have to be:

Focus (Moo! :w:g )

Mickey One

Anniversary

Serenity

People Time

For me, "People Time" is my favorite Stan Getz recording. I believe it is or nearly his last recording. "First Song" puts chills through me whenever I hear it. Stan's playing on that tune transcends beyond and above humanly barriers. Kenny Barron and Stan played so wonderfully together throughout their history, but this recording was perfection. Every tune just gives me the sense of, "I'm leaving, and here is my goodbye.” There is 5 days worth of recordings from the Jazzhus Montmartre from which “People Time” was assembled; I hope some record company can get the other masters and release those. I have a poor audio copy of those other tunes and would eagerly go and get them if propperly produced. If anyone hasn't heard "People Time", you've been missing of the greatest jazz recordings of all time.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

For me, "People Time" is my favorite Stan Getz recording. I believe it is or nearly his last recording. "First Song" puts chills through me whenever I hear it. Stan's playing on that tune transcends beyond and above humanly barriers. Kenny Barron and Stan played so wonderfully together throughout their history, but this recording was perfection. Every tune just gives me the sense of, "I'm leaving, and here is my goodbye.” There is 5 days worth of recordings from the Jazzhus Montmartre from which “People Time” was assembled; I hope some record company can get the other masters and release those. I have a poor audio copy of those other tunes and would eagerly go and get them if propperly produced. If anyone hasn't heard "People Time", you've been missing of the greatest jazz recordings of all time.

Yes, it was his last recording. Recorded 3 months to the day before he died. He was quite sick when he and Kenny did this, but he was determined to do this one.

I feel like... It is what it is. :rolleyes:

The only real objection I have is on many of these CD's, the sound quality. Some are so bad, I can't listen to them.

Thanks for the response!

Hey, a good pampering every now & then is never in bad taste!

Tell me about it!! Presently skin care products need to take a back seat... as right about now.. what I really need is a good neck and shoulder massage since my shoulders have been sitting up by my earlobes for the past few days! LOL!

:D

I can't be too objective about my favorite Stan Getz cd. It's strictly emotional. When my late dad bought himself a cd player I bought him Stan Getz Plays for a father's day gift. He loved it and always kept it in the player even during Christmas holidays. The cover photo is great too. Since he died I can't seem to play it. But Stan Getz Plays is my favorite. Great memories!

I have a number of Stan's cds, including Anniversary and Serenity. My wife is not generally a jazz fan but requests Stan Getz when I say I'm going to play some music.