Helen Merrill

Late

Is there any booklet note in the Mosaic of A Shade of Difference about the version of Lonely Woman? Merrill replaced her vocal part at the occasion of the Landmark LP reissue - does the Mosaic reissue the Milestone version? I wonder if Cuscuna was aware of that ...

I did not know that...that kinda sucks...

Is there any booklet note in the Mosaic of A Shade of Difference about the version of Lonely Woman? Merrill replaced her vocal part at the occasion of the Landmark LP reissue - does the Mosaic reissue the Milestone version? I wonder if Cuscuna was aware of that ...

I did not know that...that kinda sucks...

Neither did I.

First, though: these two Merrill/Katz albums rank among the very finest of all vocal jazz!

I've got the two Gitanes CDs (what version of "Lonely Woman" was used there?) and since there've been various comments on the sound of the Mosaic 2-on-1 being very low-par, I never felt any urge to replace them (they sound fine to my lacking ears... guess the Mosaic would, too...)

The Merrill discs were "vanity" projects and she controls the masters. I would bet the Mosaic reflects the Landmark issue.

And I guess the same goes for the Gitanes?

Most probably. I don't have the Mosaic release or the Milestone original but I have the Landmark LP and the Gitanes CD.

Both have the same version of 'Lonely Woman' but something must have happened when the Gitanes was under production.

All the tracks lengths are exactly the same except the Gitanes CD lists 'Lonely Woman' as 3m34s but it runs for 3m49s as on the Landmark LP!

Presume the shorter 'Lonely Woman' was on the original Milestone issue only!

Dick Katz or Orin Keepnews who produced the session might know...

Merrill's appeal escapes me. Timewise, she seems hapless to me -- not that in the sense that she makes mistakes, but there's very little sense of air around, or propulsion within, her phrases. Place her alongside, say, Chris Connor -- who is arguably somewhat comparable in approach and sensibility -- and to me there's no comparison. Merrill sounds so studied.

For me, it's about her sound, period. Just her sound and how it occupies its space, what it lets in and what it keeps out. It's very pleasing to me how it does those that.

Don't know that I could be more specific than that, or that I'd want to.

Having said that, some of her things are just too morose for my taste. Haven't dwelt on those long enough to decide whether that's on her, her backing, or the recording, or all of the above.

As ((rightfully) well-regarded as Dream Of You is, though, I prefer this one:

1284386741_1987.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv3qIZ03mBI

Ok, I can get more specific. I like how she handles her vowels. But then again, that's what I like about any singer of this ilk that I like.

Larry, say it ain't so - or listen to the stuff with Clifford Brown -

though your problems with her may be related to my theory that engineers don't know how to record her - one must use a condenser mic on a voice like that, and it always sounds like they're using ribbons - and, believe me, that can make a BIG difference (unless it's an RCA 77) -

Edited by AllenLowe