Which jazz musician do you listen to the most frequently?

Patch

It's kind of funny to read this topic. The thread starter asked which *musician* (singular) do you listen to most frequently and leads it off with Art Tatum. About 1 out of every 5 posters in this thread answer in the singular. Everyone else posts a list. :lol:

The musician I listen to the most frequently is Hank Mobley.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of funny to read this topic. The thread starter asked which *musician* (singular) do you listen to most frequently and leads it off with Art Tatum. About 1 out of every 5 posters in this thread answer in the singular. Everyone else posts a list. :lol:

I like those threads where someone asks for a (=one) favorite CD and before long people are posting lists of box sets!

Historically, Miles/Bird/Blakey/Lee/Trane/Mingus/Monk. In 2011 I made more of a concerted effort to dust off my hard bop (Mobley, Donaldson, Hubbard, Golson/Farmer, McLean and really all Blue Note recordings). Ended the year spending more time with the New Thing and will likely continue exploring in that direction.

/Lee/

I should hope so.

However, if it were not someone with your avatar and handle, one could also assume you were talking about Konitz.

I understand what Delightfulee is saying, as I have been following the same trajectory myself, staring with all things Lee Morgan,, then--and I thank Lee Morgan for opening the vistas-- moving further out, eventually getting deep into New Thing music, finally this year actually "dusting off" those hard bop recordings and bringing them back into rotation. I can't say with the same infatuation, but certainly with listening pleasure.

Ha!! Just seeing this now. Loves me some Lee!

smile.gif

Since 2000, it's been

SONNY STITT

JIMMY SMITH

HOUSTON PERSON

JUNIOR MANCE

GRANT GREEN

DAVID NEWMAN

BROTHER JACK MCDUFF

LES MCCANN

DR LONNIE SMITH

WILLIS 'GATOR TAIL' JACKSON

GENE AMMONS

STANLEY TURRENTINE

CHARLES EARLAND

NAT ADDERLEY

JIMMY MCGRIFF

SHIRLEY SCOTT

EDDIE 'LOCKJAW' DAVIS

RICHARD 'GROOVE' HOLMES

LOU DONALDSON

MILT JACKSON

A list like that really reflects 1 what I've been buying over the period and 2 which artists I have most records by anyway. Sidemen aren't counted in this list. I guess Idris Muhammad, Bernard Purdie and Grant Green would be at the top if they were.

MG

In 2011 I discovered Billy MItchell, his few recording, mainly two Xanadu sessions, via my passion for Rufus Reid and his Perpetual Stroll cd, a fine Sunnyside session with Kirk Lightsey. I found by chance Rufus performed in a Billy MItchell's session recorded six months later that cd, with a gorgeous version of his Perpetual Stroll composition: De Lawd's Blues (Xanadu 1980; w. T.Flanagan, B.BAiley, J.Cobb and Reid by the way)). I listened to it an hundred times around while jogging and driving to work (my main occasion for accurate listening, nowadays), copied that damn rare Japan cd edition to some friends: An absolute, absolute gem. As it is the saxophonist's previous Xanadu session Colossus Of Detroit. Then I had some of his early recordings w.Al Grey, Thad JOnes, his only previous album 'This Is B.M.'. His Xanadus remain the greatest pleasure I had musiclly in 2011, with a few others.

In 2011 I discovered Billy MItchell, his few recording, mainly two Xanadu sessions, via my passion for Rufus Reid and his Perpetual Stroll cd, a fine Sunnyside session with Kirk Lightsey. I found by chance Rufus performed in a Billy MItchell's session recorded six months later that cd, with a gorgeous version of his Perpetual Stroll composition: De Lawd's Blues (Xanadu 1980; w. T.Flanagan, B.BAiley, J.Cobb and Reid by the way)). I listened to it an hundred times around while jogging and driving to work (my main occasion for accurate listening, nowadays), copied that damn rare Japan cd edition to some friends: An absolute, absolute gem. As it is the saxophonist's previous Xanadu session Colossus Of Detroit. Then I had some of his early recordings w.Al Grey, Thad JOnes, his only previous album 'This Is B.M.'. His Xanadus remain the greatest pleasure I had musiclly in 2011, with a few others.

He takes some great solos on this one:

41J1EK7JQ2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Good point - I didn't post here because of the singular .... I never could limit myself to only one favourite.

(following a list of fifteen) ... Hard to narrow it down better than that!

Edited by mikeweil

Good point - I didn't post here because of the singular .... I never could limit myself to only one favourite.

You did post (#41) :)

And I bet the original poster has more fun reading lists than not getting any replies because all of us (with the exception of Free for All, though I don't believe him if he doesn't add Blakey and Rosolino ;-)) have the same problem...

And I bet the original poster has more fun reading lists than not getting any replies because all of us (with the exception of Free for All, though I don't believe him if he doesn't add Blakey and Rosolino ;-)) have the same problem...

I'm trying to play by the rules. :) If I have to pick just one, Miles fortunately comes with an impressive supporting cast. Of course, I don't like to leave out all the great players I love, and I hope I never actually have to live by this decision. Life without Blakey, Rosolino and the rest would indeed be a bit dull.

It was between Miles and Duke for me, BTW.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shit this is a toughie! What do you do, put together a graph over your life and chalk up the listens?

Nah, ain't gonna go that route. My listening patterns is cyclical, but here's the guys that keep returning onto my player over the decades (Jazz only I'm assuming it must be in this thread):

Anthony Braxton

Miles Davis

Derek Bailey

Evan Parker

Pat Metheny

John Scofield

Tranewreck, it took me close to 40 years of jazz listening before I could warm up to Tatum's pyrotechnics, now I love him, so I've been listening to a lot in the past year playing catch-up.

Probably my top jazz artist would be Mingus. My first jazz concert was the Mingus show that resulted in Mingus & Friends at Philharmonic Hall, when I was 16.

A couple of my favorites not yet mentioned: Mal Waldron, Paul Bley. If any jazz pianist could be called the antithesis of Tatum, Waldron would be a candidate.

I'm a big Mingus fan too-- thrilling that you saw him play. I lived in Tucson, near Nogales, for years and Mingus-- I believe-- grew up in Nogales. But he's never been memorialized there.

well, good news that he finally has!!