Dexter Complete Columbia box

CJ Shearn

Valerie, "Great Encounters" is not included because all those are bonus tracks on the other discs or on the bonus disc. All that music that makes up that album IS included though.

my box set came with a separate disc entitled "Great Encounters," which included 6 bonus tracks and that great picture of Dexter in that very fancy, European-looking ballroom.

I find Homecoming to be a mixed bag, actually. There's a few cuts where he's burning as only Dexter could burn, which is to say it's as good as it gets. Yet there.s more where he's in "good" form, which is still Dexter, but to me, he's always been one of those guys where the charm is always there even if the meat's a little lean

I think you get (much) better Dexter from this period on Steeplechase. This is still essentially "Euro-Dexter", not yet returned to the American scene & lifestyle, and perhaps most importantly, not yet with his own band. Sophisticated Giant is a good album, but a "project". It's with Manhattan Symphonie that you finally get the working band, Dexter's own band, and Dexter is still healthy (enough) to dig deep from start to finish.

Jim (and/or others) - any suggestions on the Steeplechase material? There is more than just a little out there ... :)

Edited by Eric

I find Homecoming to be a mixed bag, actually. There's a few cuts where he's burning as only Dexter could burn, which is to say it's as good as it gets. Yet there.s more where he's in "good" form, which is still Dexter, but to me, he's always been one of those guys where the charm is always there even if the meat's a little lean

I think you get (much) better Dexter from this period on Steeplechase. This is still essentially "Euro-Dexter", not yet returned to the American scene & lifestyle, and perhaps most importantly, not yet with his own band. Sophisticated Giant is a good album, but a "project". It's with Manhattan Symphonie that you finally get the working band, Dexter's own band, and Dexter is still healthy (enough) to dig deep from start to finish.

Jim (and/or others) - any suggestions on the Steeplechase material? There is more than just a little out there ... :)

The complete trio/quartet 8 cd box is worth chasing down. All remastered with at least a couple of dozen previously unissued alternate takes.

Chuck and I are in nearly total agreement, though I'd put Lullabuy for a Monster ahead of Something Different. I really dig the tenor trio sound with NHOP on Lullabuy. All three Swiss Nights volumes at the front of the line though. Inspired Dex and Kenny Drew. :tup :tup

The tracks on "Homecoming" go on way too long. As my friend Rodney says, you can go down the street and pick up your groceries, and they'll still be playing the same song when you return. And the original CD release added more! Good record, but never though it was much more. "Manhattan" is excellent, and "Gotham City" is fun.

Listening to "Manhattan Symphonie" on Rhapsody in anticipation of the box which shipped today. Wonderful differently flavored take on "Tanya" than the absolutely indispensable BN original. Man does Eddie Gladden have duct tape, dot heads or towels on his toms tho, so dead!

Edited by CJ Shearn

Re Dex on Steeplechase, another really good one is Biting The Apple, with Barry Harris, Sam Jones and Al Foster.

The radio broadcasts from the early-mid '60's are another topic altogether. I would love a boxed set of this material; the individual discs are pricey.

Valerie, "Great Encounters" is not included because all those are bonus tracks on the other discs or on the bonus disc. All that music that makes up that album IS included though.

my box set came with a separate disc entitled "Great Encounters," which included 6 bonus tracks and that great picture of Dexter in that very fancy, European-looking ballroom.

Me too... It's a fine set at a great price.

There's also a release on Storyville which has material from this time period. There are 3 tracks with the Cables quartet from March 1978, with Thad Jones sitting in on one track. There are also 4 tracks from April 1975 with a quintet of Dex, Red Rodney, Kenny Drew, NHOP and a Swedish drummer. Finally, 2 tracks from 1968 with Dex and the Teddy Wilson Trio. Not essential but enjoyable.

51uH%2B1Ra-QL._SL500_.jpg

there is a bonus disc including most of Dex's contributions to "Havana Jam", "Montreux Summit", there are additional takes from "Gotham City". There is also "Isn't She Lovely" which I don't know if it was released until now, but apparently that session for that tune did not turn out well.

So what's the deal with that bonus disc? Is it "Great Encounters" or is it the above? Or is it the above, just titled "Great Encounters" while the original tracks from that album are spread over the other discs (as they were on the individual CD reissues)? Or are there two bonus discs? I'm confused!

there is a bonus disc including most of Dex's contributions to "Havana Jam", "Montreux Summit", there are additional takes from "Gotham City". There is also "Isn't She Lovely" which I don't know if it was released until now, but apparently that session for that tune did not turn out well.

So what's the deal with that bonus disc? Is it "Great Encounters" or is it the above? Or is it the above, just titled "Great Encounters" while the original tracks from that album are spread over the other discs (as they were on the individual CD reissues)? Or are there two bonus discs? I'm confused!

Or is it the above, just titled "Great Encounters" while the original tracks from that album are spread over the other discs (as they were on the individual CD reissues)?

This

the separate disc, "Great Encounters" contains "Fried Bananas," "The Moontrane," "Red Top," "Polka Dots and Moonbeams," "Project S" and "Isn't She Lovely".

You'd think that with a box set only available via the Pop Market website, they'd at least bother to give a more exact overview of its content somewhere.

I emailed them on this issue and was told that the contents are "the original albums" so no need for track listings. I explained that there have been many reissues over the years and some have bonus tracks and some do not, and that it would be useful to have all the tracks listed in one place, but it fell on deaf ears.

You'd think that with a box set only available via the Pop Market website, they'd at least bother to give a more exact overview of its content somewhere.

I emailed them on this issue and was told that the contents are "the original albums" so no need for track listings. I explained that there have been many reissues over the years and some have bonus tracks and some do not, and that it would be useful to have all the tracks listed in one place, but it fell on deaf ears.

From my experience, all of the customer service reps employed there are robots who know nothing about the music. Unfortunately, this seems to be today's gold standard for customer service representation.