Hod O'Brien - first name pronunication

Hodge'sPodges

"Hawd" rhymes with "pawed" and I don't think that's the consensus here, is it?

Maybe I'm missing a subtle difference, but 'rod', 'god', 'pod', 'pawed', are rhymes, no?

Anyway, I mean what everyone is saying, I think. Like 'hog' but with a 'd' instead of 'g'.

For that matter, as in "Hodges" as in "Johnny Hodges".

Edited by Hodge'sPodges

nobody would refer to him as "Johnny Hawdges"

Of course not, since his name is not spelled that way, but if one wanted to make clear it is pronounced to rhyme with 'law' and not with 'low", then it seems to me clear enough to say:

Pronounced Hawjes (haw, as in "hee haw", rhymes with law), not Hoejes (hoe, as in the farm tool, rhymes with low).

That seems correct to me. "Haw" (rhymes with 'law') as opposed to "Hoe" (rhymes with 'low').

Edited by Hodge'sPodges

Hawd and pawed and lawd has a longer and (correct me if I'm wrong, don't remember much about phonetics) more open "o", methinks?

In Merriam I see that 'pawed' and 'pod' do have a different vowell sound. On the other hand, if you say 'pawed' and 'pod' out loud, they sound very very close to me. I doubt that a native speaker would know the the difference without context in a sentence.

But, to be exact then, okay, it would be better to say:

'hod' rhymes with 'pod'

rather than

'hod' rhymes with 'pawed'.

Edited by Hodge'sPodges

Sounded exceedingly obvious to me (though I am not a native speaker) that there IS a crucial difference between "pod" and "pawed".

So any "haw" or "paw" example appeared to be rather ill-chosen to me.

Just like JSngry said above:

But then again, some lingos or dialects may interfere in a big way. Just look at the way some Britons mess the vowels of their English language around (sorry, no put-down intended, but sometimes it just too clearly noticeable):

The "o" in "London" is not pronounced as a very "open" vowel but comes out as "Lewndewn",

or the "hat" that you wear on your head is pronounced like "hut" (as in Pizza Hut), etc. etc. :rolleyes:

Sounded exceedingly obvious to me (though I am not a native speaker) that there IS a crucial difference between "pod" and "pawed".

So any "haw" or "paw" example appeared to be rather ill-chosen to me.

Just like JSngry said above:

But then again, some lingos or dialects may interfere in a big way. Just look at the way some Britons mess the vowels of their English language around (sorry, no put-down intended, but sometimes it just too clearly noticeable):

The "o" in "London" is not pronounced as a very "open" vowel but comes out as "Lewndewn",

or the "hat" that you wear on your head is pronounced like "hut" (as in Pizza Hut), etc. etc. :rolleyes:

I think people in the northwest U.S. might pronounce pod and pawed almost the same. When my friends from Oregon say lawyer I think they're saying liar.

I've always said Hod to rhyme with rod, which in Brooklyn also rhymes with hard. But maybe it's pronounced Hahd, to rhyme with the Boston pronunciation of card.

I don't know how anybody could have divined any consensus here.

I did a long interview with him last year

Did he talk about St. James Infirmary, the club in Greenwich Village he ran with Roswell Rudd in the mid-70s? I remember seeing Roswell, Hod, Sheila Jordan and Enrico Rava there in various combinations, usually with Wilbur Little on bass. I can't remember who would have been the house drummer. This was around the time of Flexible Flyer, but Altschul was more likely gigging with Rivers or Braxton in that period. Roswell's wife at the time, Moselle, was sort of the manager of the club.