Super Cheap Classic Albums Sets

StarThrower

The little booklet has several pages of other releases, most of which are of no interest, but there are 3 (three) boxes each containing 8 (eight) LPs of LES BAXTER!!! (Oh, I see from AMazon UK there are now FOUR boxes!) What? Who would buy these? I mean, who really? We all know TTK likes him. I might try one, if I could find out which one has good chunks of Plas Johnson on it. I only saw one 2 CD set from EMI. Everything else was cheapo other labels. But this is the point, ain't it? To tempt the curious...

See my post yesterday in the Vocalion thread. Fortysomethings like me love this stuff. Because when we were growing up it, and music like it, was always in the background, it's more evocative of our childhoods than the "cool" rock and roll we were supposed to like.

Plus, our parents were aspirational, pop music fans. We didn't want to rebel against them like the previous generation did (and had to) against theirs; we wanted to emulate them.

I don't think I understand what an aspirational pop music fan is or was in the seventies/eighties.

No, I'm sure I don't.

MG

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MG, they have predictably spread Les Baxter's great exotica albums over the various volumes, mixing them with his schlocky pop albums, i.e. making the consumer buy more boxes to get the good stuff.

Both of the Plas Johnson albums are on Volume 3, however, there is an existing EU public domain CD combining these two albums already (Jungle Jazz and African Jazz).

Of the other albums in Volume 3, the gem is "The Sacred Idol," which is possibly my favorite Les Baxter exotica album, but I don't know if you would like it, MG. The other 5 albums are more generic 50s orchestral pop, nice if you like that kind of stuff, but hardly necessary if that's not your bag.

So, In this case, I would simply spring for the twofer CD of Jungle Jazz and African Jazz. I have not actually heard that CD (I have the LPs), but the reviews seem to be positive and the transfers seem to be good, whatever the source.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

A Google search for "chronogical" gives 1,530,000 hits. I'd say it's a word now! ^_^

Definately. (why do about 40% of people think that's how you spell definitely?--actually, based on a Google comparison it's only about 10%)

Pete, I think that they are thinking of "separately".

Pete, I think that they are thinking of "separately".

Maybe it's the sequence, but I can't figure out what you're responding to.

:)

MG, they have predictably spread Les Baxter's great exotica albums over the various volumes, mixing them with his schlocky pop albums, i.e. making the consumer buy more boxes to get the good stuff.

Both of the Plas Johnson albums are on Volume 3, however, there is an existing EU public domain CD combining these two albums already (Jungle Jazz and African Jazz).

Of the other albums in Volume 3, the gem is "The Sacred Idol," which is possibly my favorite Les Baxter exotica album, but I don't know if you would like it, MG. The other 5 albums are more generic 50s orchestral pop, nice if you like that kind of stuff, but hardly necessary if that's not your bag.

So, In this case, I would simply spring for the twofer CD of Jungle Jazz and African Jazz. I have not actually heard that CD (I have the LPs), but the reviews seem to be positive and the transfers seem to be good, whatever the source.

Thank you TTK, that's really very helpful. I'll shove them on my wish list so I don't forget next month.

MG

PS I did actually buy Martin Denny's 'Quiet village' back in '60 :)

OK, G.A., tell me if I finally got it: are you saying that the misspelling of definitely is some kind of false cognate from separately? If that's it, I don't see it. Nobody misspells that one separitely. Seperately is, however, a common misspellnig.

What am I missing?

Even I have to sometimes think twice about stationery and stationary.

OK, G.A., tell me if I finally got it: are you saying that the misspelling of definitely is some kind of false cognate from separately? If that's it, I don't see it. Nobody misspells that one separitely. Seperately is, however, a common misspellnig.

What am I missing?

Even I have to sometimes think twice about stationery and stationary.

Are you stationery when you have this problem?

Plus, our parents were aspirational, pop music fans. We didn't want to rebel against them like the previous generation did (and had to) against theirs; we wanted to emulate them.

I don't think I understand what an aspirational pop music fan is or was in the seventies/eighties.

No, I'm sure I don't.

There was a comma in there. They were (i) aspirational as opposed to confrontational and (ii) liked light, fun pop music as opposed to heavy, worthy rock. Two separate things but a common combination in suburban families.

No, I'm sure I don't.

There was a comma in there. They were (i) aspirational as opposed to confrontational and (ii) liked light, fun pop music as opposed to heavy, worthy rock. Two separate things but a common combination in suburban families.

Thanks, I'm beginning to get the hang of this now, but still not quite there.

I think your parents were roughly of my own generation, so when you say they liked 'light, fun pop music as opposed to heavy, worthy rock', I guess that means Gary Glitter, T-Rex and Wizzard, as opposed to Cream, Led Zep and King Crimson. Or does it mean Manuel & the Music of the Mountains, the Big Ben Banjo Band and Val Doonican, as opposed to ALL the aforementioned? (If the latter is correct, I've got to say that I never, ever, met anyone like that in my own age group.)

But I can't get 'aspirational as opposed to confrontational'. Aspirational isn't the opposite of confrontational. And I'm not sure of the relevance to musical taste of either term. Please explain a bit more.

MG

I think your parents were roughly of my own generation, so when you say they liked 'light, fun pop music as opposed to heavy, worthy rock', I guess that means Gary Glitter, T-Rex and Wizzard, as opposed to Cream, Led Zep and King Crimson. Or does it mean Manuel & the Music of the Mountains, the Big Ben Banjo Band and Val Doonican, as opposed to ALL the aforementioned? (If the latter is correct, I've got to say that I never, ever, met anyone like that in my own age group.)

But I can't get 'aspirational as opposed to confrontational'. Aspirational isn't the opposite of confrontational. And I'm not sure of the relevance to musical taste of either term. Please explain a bit more.

The former. But aside from their music choices, there was all sorts of "easy listening" (hate the term by the way) woven into the fabric of popular culture, on films, TV, advertising, so it gets under your skin. Jazz entered my life by the same route.

The Big Ben Banjo Band and Val Doonican was not their cup of tea, nor is it mine. But then music like that has little to do with Martin Denny, Jackie Gleason or funky KPM library music. It's about finding good music in unexpected places, not deliberately gravitating towards shit.

Aspirational/confrontational probably isn't the right way to express what I mean. So I'm sorry for all the headaches. Entertainment versus art perhaps? Acceptance versus rebellion?

I got the Yusef Lateef box a few days ago. The sound quality is excellent, and I discovered I think what is a new favorite album. The Dreamer. It looks like outside another compilation this album has never has a stand alone CD release, but I think it's definitely worth it.