NFL 2012

I think it was more the collapse in the second half of the season than the overall record that got Smith.

Good point.

Maybe the Niners will pick him up as an Offensive Coordinator. The one they have now is so predictable, he could mail it in.

It might not be the OC who is the problem, but Harbaugh himself. He strikes me as a coach who is pretty conservative with his offense, just limit turnovers, limit risk in general, and count on your defensive team to hold the other team. If that's the case, he wouldn't go for an OC who likes to take shots downfield with any frequency, etc. and you wind up with vanilla play calling.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was more the collapse in the second half of the season than the overall record that got Smith.

Good point.

Maybe the Niners will pick him up as an Offensive Coordinator. The one they have now is so predictable, he could mail it in.

It might not be the OC who is the problem, but Harbaugh himself. He strikes me as a coach who is pretty conservative with his offense, just limit turnovers, limit risk in general, and count on your defensive team to hold the other team. If that's the case, he wouldn't go for an OC who likes to take shots downfield with any frequency, etc. and you wind up with vanilla play calling.

I dunno.

Harbaugh has called a few gadget plays this year and gone for it on 4th down several more times. IMHO, the Niners haven't had a decent OC since Mike Holmgren back during the glory years.

Ray Lewis is still a bad bad bad mother trucker

No one gets his teammates or fans more pump up for a game

That game was a lock no way was Baltimore losing Ray Ray's last game in Baltimore

A great player, but the involvement in the double murder still bothers me a great deal

I know this is holding someone elses grudge for a ridiculously long time, but it's always nice to see the Colts lose in Baltimore. As for the Seahawks, the Falcons fan in me was pulling for Washington...

As well you should, because the Falcons may have their hands full with Seattle. I don't know how many people have figured it out yet, but the Seahawks are for real. Don't be too surprised if you see a rookie quarterback in the Super Bowl after all.

I know this is holding someone elses grudge for a ridiculously long time, but it's always nice to see the Colts lose in Baltimore. As for the Seahawks, the Falcons fan in me was pulling for Washington...

As well you should, because the Falcons may have their hands full with Seattle. I don't know how many people have figured it out yet, but the Seahawks are for real. Don't be too surprised if you see a rookie quarterback in the Super Bowl after all.

For real?

They played a pretty soft schedule this season and with that pretend win against the Packers and an injured RG III, I'd say luck had plenty to do with it all.

That game was a lock no way was Baltimore losing Ray Ray's last game in Baltimore

A great player, but the involvement in the double murder still bothers me a great deal

Wondered if anyone else besides myself was bothered by that.

Wondered if anyone else besides myself was bothered by that.

it's been the overriding factor in my opinion of ray lewis.

rob parker let go by espn.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/08/rob-parker-let-go-by-espn/#.UOzaR9-TBTM.facebook

Cowboys took a step in the right direction getting rid of Rob Ryan, I never understood how either of the Ryans get considered as good coaches, just a couple of circus clowns in my book (I don't think Jason Garrett is all that great either). Now if only they could get rid of GM Jerry Jones, they might have a real chance of improving.

For real?

They played a pretty soft schedule this season and with that pretend win against the Packers and an injured RG III, I'd say luck had plenty to do with it all.

The Seahawks weren't so hot at the start of the season, when they were working in their rookie QB. But they beat four playoff teams during the regular season and (so far) one more in the playoffs. They compiled some fo the best defensive stats in the league, despite the slow start. In a three-week period toward the end of the season, they beat St. Louis, Buffalo and San Francisco by a combined score of 150-30. They've won eight of their last nine games. Today's team is much better than the one you saw vs. Green Bay on MNF. But obviously you're right, they're just lucky. And you'll probably say that if they beat Atlanta, too.

For real?

The Seahawks weren't so hot at the start of the season, when they were working in their rookie QB. But they beat four playoff teams during the regular season and (so far) one more in the playoffs. They compiled some fo the best defensive stats in the league, despite the slow start. In a three-week period toward the end of the season, they beat St. Louis, Buffalo and San Francisco by a combined score of 150-30. They've won eight of their last nine games. Today's team is much better than the one you saw vs. Green Bay on MNF. But obviously you're right, they're just lucky. And you'll probably say that if they beat Atlanta, too.

The other factor with the Seahawks, as with the Giants last year, is that they seem to be peaking at the right time. It's not how good your regular season record is, but how well you're playing going into the playoffs. The teams with a bye should be wary, football players are creatures of habit as much as anybody else and a week off could blow up their rhythm. There was one year the Giants had the first week bye, then they played their playoff game and got flattened.

Cowboys took a step in the right direction getting rid of Rob Ryan, I never understood how either of the Ryans get considered as good coaches, just a couple of circus clowns in my book (I don't think Jason Garrett is all that great either). Now if only they could get rid of GM Jerry Jones, they might have a real chance of improving.

How about the Jets hire Rob Ryan as DC, and make Buddy Ryan the GM, so they could have a three-ring Ryan circus!

Jerry Jones said during the season that he would fire himself as GM.

It's strange after all these years of hating the Cowboys, I've gotten to where I look forward to watching all their games. I think Tony Romo is the reason, I like him -- there, I said it, I. Like. Tony. Romo. Seems like a classy guy, who has all this talent, and then at the end, something always happens, and it blows up in his face. Have zero use for Jerry Jones, Rob Ryan (good riddance), Des Bryant, or even DeMarcus Ware. Romo, I dig for some reason, and I dig the Cowboys now, which I never thought would happen in a million years.

Edited by Matthew

It's strange after all these years of hating the Cowboys, I've gotten to where I look forward to watching all their games. I think Tony Romo is the reason, I like him -- there, I said it, I. Like. Tony. Romo. Seems like a classy guy, who has all this talent, and then at the end, something always happens, and it blows up in his face. Have zero use for Jerry Jones, Rob Ryan (good riddance), Des Bryant, or even DeMarcus Ware. Romo, I dig for some reason, and I dig the Cowboys now, which I never thought would happen in a million years.

I kinda started feeling the same way as the season went on myself...I mean, this is one raggedy-ass, undisciplined, unfocused, bunch of football grifters, guys who will either win or lose a game through some goofy-ass collaborative contrivance between somebody's ineptness and somebody else's being in the right place at just the right time to take advantage of it. And in the middle of it all is Romo, the guy who, along with Demarcus Ware, maintains the only thing resembling consistency and forward momentum on this team. When they got on that little hot streak, I was wondering if maybe they had back-loaded all their bad luck and were set to go on a run of good luck that would carry them into the playoffs.

But no. Romo's a great guy, a real talent, but he's cursed, man. He's one of those guys who will at some point - inevitably the worst possible point - find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It looked like he was over it this year, but no, last game of season, PLOP, and there it was all over again.

Unlike years past, when I've sorta relished the PLOP-ing, I felt a little bad this year, because the team had formed this weird "underdog" mentality with all the injuries on top of their basic lack of discipline, and they became some weird NFL version of The Dead End Kids.

In the end, though, it was just one more year of Jerry Jones' unwillingness to institute a culture of discipline and fear (Jimmy Johnson was right) for jobs playing out in a little more interesting way than usual. So....fuck that. As long as Jerry Jones is in charge, I can't find it in me to root for the home team. The irony is that I used to feel the same way about the Landry-Murchison combo too, and Jerry "pick of the litter" Jones was the one who got me to come around (and Jimmy Johnson really sealed the deal, him and his hairspray-head crazy ass). But then he fucked that up and has only made it worse since.

So...oh well!

Edited by JSngry

Not surprised with Junior's mind/brain issues

Doubt anyone could have helped him....

The way he played and the blind eye to concussions made it inevitable that he would suffer. Same as Dave Duerson, etc.

I've always wondered what Bret Farve will be like in 10 years, he took a lot of hits....

Everyone seems to be assuming that the Seahawks are going to mop up Atlanta. I don't believe it.

I haven't seen that much of Atlanta, but Seattle scares me. After what they did to my Niners (albeit without having to deal with Justin Smith), and the way they came back against Washington (albeit with RGIII hobbled), and their current streak, they look like a force to be reckoned with. I agree with David. Wilson could very well take them all the way.

(Pssst- I'm posting this mainly because I want those bastards out of the playoffs... they didn't used to call me Jimmy Jinx for nothing). :)

not nfl, but football----------

@JayChristensen NIU sold 3,266 tickets to Orange Bowl from allotment of 17,500:

“You guys [NIU] don't even deserve to be here,” the Orange Bowl rep said to the NIU staffer. “We didn't even want you here.”

http://www.huskiewir...26986/index.xml

Edited by alocispepraluger102