Now reading...

On 3/7/2024 at 8:24 AM, Referentzhunter said:

96.jpg

Is this your first time reading this?

Catcher in the Rye, even today, is a book people like to ban. According to one site I saw, “The American Library Association states that The Catcher in the Rye has been banned by schools and public libraries for having ‘excess vulgar language, sexual scenes, things concerning moral issues, excessive violence and anything dealing with the occult’ and ‘communism,’ among other things.”  Yeah, that’s the whole point of reading it! I still have my original copy that I read back in 9th or 10th grade in 1965 or 1966. 

Edited by Brad

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Brad said:

Catcher in the Rye, even today, is a book people like to ban. According to one site I saw, “The American Library Association states that The Catcher in the Rye has been banned by schools and public libraries for having ‘excess vulgar language, sexual scenes, things concerning moral issues, excessive violence and anything dealing with the occult’ and ‘communism,’ among other things.”  Yeah, that’s the whole point of reading it! I still have my original copy that I read back in 9th or 10th grade in 1965 or 1966. 

Me too--and in about the same year and grade! Handed to me under a desk by a friend as if we were in a spy movie!

This is interesting.  The author believes that the story we all know regarding the deaths of Hitler and Eva Braun was the work product of Hugh Trevor-Roper (who in 1945 was a major assigned to Military Intelligence).  He says that there has never been physical evidence supporting the story.  The story is based upon the testimony of a few Germans who claimed to be eyewitnesses, but none of their testimonies match up.  In the summer of 1945, two German submarines arrived in Argentina, and surrendered to the Argentine navy.  The author believes that Hitler, Eva Braun, Martin Bormann and others were on one of the submarines.  Bormann, by the way, is portrayed to be a businessman who was much more savvy than I have seen him shown elsewhere.

71n1FL1tLBL._SL1500_.jpg

41 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

This is interesting.  The author believes that the story we all know regarding the deaths of Hitler and Eva Braun was the work product of Hugh Trevor-Roper (who in 1945 was a major assigned to Military Intelligence).  He says that there has never been physical evidence supporting the story.  The story is based upon the testimony of a few Germans who claimed to be eyewitnesses, but none of their testimonies match up.  In the summer of 1945, two German submarines arrived in Argentina, and surrendered to the Argentine navy.  The author believes that Hitler, Eva Braun, Martin Bormann and others were on one of the submarines.  Bormann, by the way, is portrayed to be a businessman who was much more savvy than I have seen him shown elsewhere.

71n1FL1tLBL._SL1500_.jpg

He’s a conspiracy theorist and he’s not a credible source.  Nothing more need be said. 

9 hours ago, Brad said:

He’s a conspiracy theorist and he’s not a credible source.  Nothing more need be said. 

Never trust anyone who puts Ph.D.after their name. (Says Joe Medjuck, Ph.D.) 

On 3/8/2024 at 7:03 PM, Brad said:

First time i've read the book and i loved it. Yes, i do understand what the fuss is about. There is a complex layer of psychology to the main character ... hidden history, hidden messages ?! 

On 3/9/2024 at 12:42 AM, GA Russell said:

71n1FL1tLBL._SL1500_.jpg

Martin Bormann's remains were identified several decades ago and I seriously doubt that Hitler could have kept his mouth shut if he had made it to Argentina. The Soviet Union found the partially cremated remains of Hilter and Braun and took them back to their homeland. 

There is no telling how much stolen wealth made it out of Germany, I could see some of it turning up, much like the confiscated paintings have appeared when they are researched for provenance before being put up for aucition.

3 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Martin Bormann's remains were identified several decades ago and I seriously doubt that Hitler could have kept his mouth shut if he had made it to Argentina. The Soviet Union found the partially cremated remains of Hilter and Braun and took them back to their homeland. 

There is no telling how much stolen wealth made it out of Germany, I could see some of it turning up, much like the confiscated paintings have appeared when they are researched for provenance before being put up for aucition.

Ken, the book says that in 1990 Gorbachev allowed the Americans to do a DNA test on Hitler's remains, and they determined that they were the remains of a 40 year old woman.

11 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Ken, the book says that in 1990 Gorbachev allowed the Americans to do a DNA test on Hitler's remains, and they determined that they were the remains of a 40 year old woman.

Garbage. 

12 hours ago, rostasi said:

031401.jpg

I don't think I've seen this before.  I'll have to add it to the list.

Currently working away at I.B. Singer's Scum.  I'd say there are significant echoes of Joseph Roth going on in this one (which is a positive for me anyway).

A1tIvCTlAtL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg