My Prayers Have Been Answered!

BeBop

"No" can be a wonderful answer.

Absolutely! I've been reading the Forbes magazine with brief bios on the 400 richest Americans. (This year's list is focused on philanthropic works - no surprise there.) When I read about all the people who seemingly never go without (anything money can buy anyway), just by virtue of their luck in parents, it's amazing. This isn't a slam on the rich, per se. But the whole silver spoon thing...

The lesson here, in my experience, is the harder you work, the better your "prayers" work. Sometimes.

But when loved ones become terminally ill, I say my little non-denominational, non-directed "prayers".

"No" can be a wonderful answer.

Absolutely! I've been reading the Forbes magazine with brief bios on the 400 richest Americans. (This year's list is focused on philanthropic works - no surprise there.) ...just by virtue of their luck in parents, it's amazing. This isn't a slam on the rich, per se. But the whole silver spoon thing...

I don't recall ever being jealous of rich people. I'd like an easier life, but I chose to be a musician-no one forced me. I'm deliriously happy doing what I do, and so poor I'm not even 'po'-can't even afford the first 'o'. But I'm saving (;. If I need more money I can get a job. I couldn't prove it, but based on what I've observed, say, at gigs playing for the rich when they come round the stand they seem jealous of the musicians-or at least amazed at what we do and how much fun it is. But 'one never knows, do one?' Edited by fasstrack

To wit:

When I was back there in

seminary school

There was a person there

Who put forth the proposition

That you can petition the Lord

with prayer

Petition the Lord with prayer

Petition the Lord with prayer

You cannot petition the Lord

with prayer

otoh, one can use "prayer" as a form of directed meditation, a way to find the centeredness to be able to deal with...whatever, be it by effecting an action, accepting an outcome, instilling/sustaining hope, resilience in the face of adversity, all kinds of things.

It's not all/always Letter To Santa Claus...fundamentalist/skeptic stereotypes to the contrary. That's the easy way out.

otoh, one can use "prayer" as a form of directed meditation, a way to find the centeredness to be able to deal with...whatever, be it by effecting an action, accepting an outcome, instilling/sustaining hope, resilience in the face of adversity, all kinds of things.

It's not all/always Letter To Santa Claus...fundamentalist/skeptic stereotypes to the contrary. That's the easy way out.

Hey, only cartoon christianity is allowed to be discussed here. ;)

Agree. I guess that's the vantage point from which I started this thread. I'm non-religious. I've got a loved one dying. Prayer gives me something to do, and, as a non-religious person, I can't "do it wrong".

If I was religious, though, I'd have a tough time convincing myself that my desired outcome is somehow better than whatever "God" had in mind.

...I've got a loved one dying. Prayer gives me something to do, and, as a non-religious person, I can't "do it wrong".

If I was religious, though, I'd have a tough time convincing myself that my desired outcome is somehow better than whatever "God" had in mind.

That's always tough, and I'm finding death to be like birth - don't ever expect the same experience twice. Kind of appropriate, I suppose...

FWIW/IMO - It's not about "better than" nearly as much as it is processing the reality in a way that allows you to not go bat-shit crazy.

Obviously, that happens to "religious" and "non-religious" people in about equal measure. The "religious" people hang it on "God", the "non-religious" hang it on rationality, Lisa Simpson can blame her writers, and the rest of us just try to keep going and not leave it worse than it was when we found it.

Some days, of course, are better than others. Life still goes on, so that should tell you something, although hell if I know exactly what.